Top 10 Percussion Moments

North Star's '78 snare drum line (part of what was affectionately called back then North Star's " The Chrome Wall " percussion section )) where they drop to their knees while playing, then they sway back from the kneeling position, still playing. The North Star percussion line from '78-80 should be included for not just playing abilities, but for cool and innovative moves too, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

I'm I really the only one who didn't think the Cadets 2000 drum feature was that cool? I'm not trying to bag on the people who did it, or wrote it. They certainly did it well. I just wasn't as blown away by it as many others were.

• Like 4

I'll admit I'm more of a new school guy so most of these are in the past 10 years or so...

Also after writing this I realized just how hard it is to come up to pick only 10 moments, so this is more of the 10 that are most forefront in my mind.

Bluecoats 2004 - So many good percussion moments... from the leitmotif to the drum break at the beginning of the closer to the rubber ducky at the ending of the first part of hunting wabbits.

SCV 2003 - while 2004 was undeniably a great section, you can more than hear the beginnings of what they were going to be in 2003. A lot of very unique instrumentation used in the ballad, from taiko drums to a water chime. The rock out section before the closer is my favorite part.

Cavaliers 2003 - Matt Jordan is probably one of the best timpani players the activity has seen and his part during terminal velocity is one of the hardest/coolest timpani parts I've heard put on the field.

Bluecoats 2008 - Second to the bass feature has to be the underappreciated tenor feature that follows.

Star of Indiana 1993 - What part of this show wouldn't make someone's top list of percussion moments? To pick one, I guess I'd have to go with the cocaine snorting tenor visual.

Cavaliers 2011 - All the circus tricks were awesome, but for me I loved the writing even. I loved the creative use of hands and sounds from the pit. Overall some of the most effective use of sampling seen in drum corps yet.

Glassmen 2009 - I've wanted to use glass blocks in a show since I saw this one. As you can probably tell, I love creativity.

Madison Scouts 1998 - I don't even know what it is about Remembrance but when I get to the drum breaks in the closer I always get super excited.

Crossmen 1992 - Puma!!! Also... CROSSMEN DRUMLINE!!!

Blue Devils 2000 - Pit accelerando. Wanted to have one purely pit moment on here and I can't think of a more effective one.

• Like 1

but only because it inspired

That's still the funniest thing Banished has done, IMO. Still makes me laugh.

Trying to think of features that haven't been mentioned yet...

Madison Scouts 1992 "Funny" - imitated by H.S. drum lines approximately 68,000 times the next few fall seasons.

Blue Devils 1994 "Day Danse" - the famous "flamenco" drumming on the plastic discs and the wild "monkey-sticking" to end the movement overshadows in most peoples' memories the balls-to-the-wall tenor run in between.

Phantom Regiment 1995 "Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2" - right after the Paganini Rhapsody; incredibly awesome pit cadenza with accelerando, wonderful "bottle cap" sticks used by the snares to get that gypsy feel.

Madison Scouts 2000 "Khachaturian Piano Concerto" - towards the end of the show. Huge chunks of dirt? Yes. 16 tons of charisma and effect? Also yes.

Blue Devils 2002 "Channel One Suite" - not much of Channel One in the show, but the bass drum runs at the very end of the show are still the best I've ever heard.

Phantom Regiment 2008 whole show - can't pick any one section; incredible writing, front-to-back, and brilliant execution; maybe the best front ensemble ever.

Santa Clara Vanguard 2008 "Eclipse" - incredibly under-rated and under-scored line, IMO; awesome battery work in the exotic Indian piece in the show.

• Like 2

good lord where to start

03 SCV

04 SCV

92 Crossmen

91 Crossmen

86 BD

87 SCV

oh hell and everything listed above

• Like 1