Fan Network 2013 Semi-Finals

Thought id start this thread

Any suggestions to make the experience better? Like does it stream better on one browser or another?

Personally gonna run mine off my laptop with an HDMI into my 55 Plasma and crank up my DTS Stereo!

Using an Ethernet cable directly to your modem tends to minimize skipping. I've had good luck with Firefox, but Chrome would probably be just as good if you prefer it.

Can't wait for the show tonight. I'll be logged in. Couldn't go to a theater last night due to calling bingo for the 'Coats. Been reading everyone's comments this morning (from the theaters). Scores were close between a number of corps. I think it's really a top 2 race for Gold at this point. Cadets are fabulous, but their visual GE is a bit hit and miss, and I've been saying that all year. I love their book and their performance levels. Love the show, but 3rd is the best they can do. Could come in 4th if SCV locks in and Cadets are a bit off.

BD and Crown will be close. I still like Crown to win on Saturday.

Had Boston not been penalized it looks like their score would have put them over BK and just under Cavies and Madison. Honestly, I am surprised that Boston has not passed them yet. I really think the grey hurt them this year (visual GE). I find them more talented, and much better performing in brass and drums than Cavies and Madison. Their late-season push is perhaps coming a bit too late. Who knows, maybe at Finals they will take 7th where I think they belong.

I see Madison pulling in front of Cavies by a tenth or so.

Looking forward to seeing all the top 17.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the show tonight. I'll be logged in. Couldn't go to a theater last night due to calling bingo for the 'Coats. Been reading everyone's comments this morning (from the theaters). Scores were close between a number of corps. I think it's really a top 2 race for Gold at this point. Cadets are fabulous, but their visual GE is a bit hit and miss, and I've been saying that all year. I love their book and their performance levels. Love the show, but 3rd is the best they can do. Could come in 4th if SCV locks in and Cadets are a bit off.

BD and Crown will be close. I still like Crown to win on Saturday.

Had Boston not been penalized it looks like their score would have put them over BK and just under Cavies and Madison. Honestly, I am surprised that Boston has not passed them yet. I really think the grey hurt them this year (visual GE). I find them more talented, and much better performing in brass and drums than Cavies and Madison. Their late-season push is perhaps coming a bit too late. Who knows, maybe at Finals they will take 7th where I think they belong.

I see Madison pulling in front of Cavies by a tenth or so.

Looking forward to seeing all the top 17.

Oh geez, we're sympatico on all the observations you just made here on this assessment.

Edited by BRASSO

Some people swear Chrome works better than Firefox with FN. It may depend on the add-ins the individual user has running in Firefox--Firefox has been freeze-prone for me live-streaming FN only this year. If it freezes, try pausing, counting to three, and click play. If you click stop or close the window, you may not be able to get back in for a while--that has happened to a lot of people this year. The other thing that definitely works better for me is not trying to stream it live, but lagging the playback behind--it's been much less prone to freezes that way for me. I agree that hard-wired Ethernet is better than wireless if you have a choice.

Some people swear Chrome works better than Firefox with FN. It may depend on the add-ins the individual user has running in Firefox--Firefox has been freeze-prone for me live-streaming FN only this year. If it freezes, try pausing, counting to three, and click play. If you click stop or close the window, you may not be able to get back in for a while--that has happened to a lot of people this year. The other thing that definitely works better for me is not trying to stream it live, but lagging the playback behind--it's been much less prone to freezes that way for me. I agree that hard-wired Ethernet is better than wireless if you have a choice.

One note about Chrome (at least on Windows) is that it tends to have a memory leak. Not a huge problem for general browsing, but if you are trying to maintain multiple tabs or other apps, it could be a problem. Specifically when you are watching a multi-hour stream. I have found (and drumcat mentioned this to me last year as well) that I will have to refresh or completely close and re-open Chrome at least once during the long (regional and Semifinal) webcasts. YMMV, of course.

I'll be at the show, however in my experience...I've used wi-fi at hope to watch the DCI streams on my Mac Mini using Chrome and have never had an issue of stream reliability. It really depends on whether yo are using wireless 802.11 A, B, G or N (N will be the fastest & most reliable IMHO)...it also depends on your ISP as well.

One note about Chrome (at least on Windows) is that it tends to have a memory leak. Not a huge problem for general browsing, but if you are trying to maintain multiple tabs or other apps, it could be a problem. Specifically when you are watching a multi-hour stream. I have found (and drumcat mentioned this to me last year as well) that I will have to refresh or completely close and re-open Chrome at least once during the long (regional and Semifinal) webcasts. YMMV, of course.

...and that is very risky during high-traffic times such as semi-finals because there's a good chance you won't get back in. I would reconsider my advice in that case and not use Chrome, unless they've plugged their memory leak issue. Drumcat was on top of it.

Sometimes if you are using an older or slower computer you can adjust the resolution of the screen so the original picture in the webpage fills the entire screen. This works because the computer doesn't have to resize the image as much therefore using less processor power.... its a last ditch effort but has saved me in the past. :)

...and that is very risky during high-traffic times such as semi-finals because there's a good chance you won't get back in. I would reconsider my advice in that case and not use Chrome, unless they've plugged their memory leak issue. Drumcat was on top of it.

Agreed, although I have been fortunate enough (in prior years, at least) to be able to get back in. I usually try to recycle Chrome during INT (since they are my hot-dog corps anyway...)