Fan Network 2013 Semi-Finals

I'm fine with Oregon's indoor pajamas, but the shakos don't work.

After looking at photos for a while, I think for me is that the pajamas are more form-fitting, while the shakos are built for a different style of suit that's a bit looser. It makes the hats look too big and bulky. I don't know what the alternative is, though.

Mike

After looking at photos for a while, I think for me is that the pajamas are more form-fitting, while the shakos are built for a different style of suit that's a bit looser. It makes the hats look too big and bulky. I don't know what the alternative is, though.

Mike

I think you're right. I don't know what the alternative is either. I'd say go sans lids, but visual judges tend to get squirrely when you do that.

Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that BDB and SCV-C have more content and demand in their programs than a couple of Top Twelve corps do?

Its hard to know. While I really like BDB and SCV Cadets, I don't see either of these 2 Corps having overall more content and demand in their shows than anyone in the TOP 12. Percussion comes somewhat close , particularly in the pit... but otherwise, they are not even remotely close to the content and demand in the other sections, especially Guard, Visual, Brass of the Corps in the TOP 12, imo. Lets not get carried away here.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that BDB and SCV-C have more content and demand in their programs than a couple of Top Twelve corps do? And you can certainly see why SCV-C won Open. Some squeeky-clean stuff here by Open standards.

I hope you are the only one that believes that because it is not only wrong but laughable. Oops.... I meant to say "hilarious".

• Like 1

Unfortunately live feeds don't "buffer". There is a DVR-type aspect to FN's live feeds, but it's not a full "buffer download" as what you'd be accustomed to with watching, say an uploaded video on Youtube or a TV show from iTunes. While you'd be able to pause, come back and press play... it's still streaming live (unless you come back after 9pm), so you're still going to have a bit of a hiccup. Does that make sense?

All video feeds over the internet buffer. If there was no buffer, the feed would be incredibly choppy. Your computer will grab media ahead of time to make the viewing experience cleaner, that is all buffering is. It's just that the live buffer won't be much of a difference than buffering it 1 minute prior. From what I can tell, the live broadcast is at least 10 seconds behind what is happening in real time. This gives everyone a "buffer". If there is truly an issue on their end, using the DVR function 1 minute behind may increase performance.

Since the FN is unusual in many ways, it isn't clear whether it will let you buffer more than say, 10 seconds. If it will allow you to, you will see a cleaner broadcast as long as your computer isn't the "weak link". Also, if you are viewing a part of the feed that nobody else is, there may be less hiccups on their end of things.

Long story short: It's not clear. I have tested the setup on a few computers and networks. I have noticed when viewing videos in DVR that are currently live, it is smoother. I only have had major issues when in LIVE mode. I run a fiber connection at work.

I'm sad that the live crowd seems small. Maybe we should go back to not doing Fan Network on semis day. (I'm going to duck and run now before you all kill me! But I'm wondering if having so many regionals, along with the Fan Network, makes Finals less of a destination event. (intermission conversation....)

I just wish more Dinos would join me in re-discovering DCI in a different way. These shows work REALLY WELL through digital media. You don't miss a thing and there's more than ever to enjoy these days. The amount of talent on display is staggering.

I get it . . . this isn't what we did back when. We're older and don't like change. We have less patience with travel, crowds, and spending what seems to be so much more money than we spent before. You know, when gas was forty cents per gallon.

No, it's not what we did. . . it's much better !

• Like 1