Why doesn't DCI love the West Coast?

Wow, what's next, West Coast Tours Matter?

Mean spirited.

I'm sorry, Sam, but "number of titles" is not a metric that constitutes good economic sense.

I suspect it would indeed add expense, but nobody in this group has reported the arithmetic for an "optimal" set of stops. So any notion of "economic sense" is conjecture at this point.

But corps have also chosen to amend rules to add electronics, requiring corps to add several thousands of dollars in electronics equipment to remain competitive (and more staff and designers to gain a competitive advantage). They had the money for this investment, it seems, though it didn't make economic sense. The corps voted to increase the size of corps from 128 to 150, adding to travel expenses. To be clear, I have no qualms with these rules changes, but let's not pretend that corps don't add to their own expenses.

• Like 2

Throw us an August bone ONCE in a #### while, would you?

I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this one, as NOBODY is going to get the championships any time soon (unless you live in central Indiana).

However, you make a great point about all the titles. Which leads me to wonder... why don't BD and SCV raise more of a stink about this? (assuming they don't - perhaps they already do). They have power and influence in DCI. They should be the corps leading this effort.

You don't see the inherent inequity of a state with a dozen and a half active corps and most of the championship winners only getting finals ONE TIME in almost 45 years???

Man...talk about Eastern privilege....

That'd be Midwestern privilege...

I live in SoCal close to Ayala HS, so I'm good for a finals out West, especially in Pasadena, but some of the schools around here starting up again right now... Wouldn't it be difficult to find housing here? ....and Las Vegas still has year round schools, so they'd be out too. I dunno.

That'd be Midwestern privilege...

I live in SoCal close to Ayala HS, so I'm good for a finals out West, especially in Pasadena, but some of the schools around here starting up again right now... Wouldn't it be difficult to find housing here? ....and Las Vegas still has year round schools, so they'd be out too. I dunno.

Las Vegas does not have any year round high schools. Only elementary and middle schools.

Edited by ouooga

Can confirm, Las Vegas does not have any year round high schools.

Great!!

They did when I lived there.

And western snobbery and entitlement...

Wow, what's next, West Coast Tours Matter?

Protesters at finals waving "West Coast Now!" banners?

Jeesh, it's summer marching band for gosh sakes.

Hey, I really enjoy your posts, and I am by no means a part of the black community, but let's not joke about that, okay?

• Like 2

Asking for another August run out here after only getting it ONE time in 44 years is hardlty snobbery or entitlement.

Give a few years notice so corps can deal with the financial concerns...if they can't afford the trip, they can't afford the trip....why do you think the smaller Opens out here don't go past Denver??

And yeah...it's summer band...and an entire COAST of the US would like to see completed shows live once in a #### while.

You can ask for it all you want, and there are things i'd change about tour, but things are the way they are for multiple reasons:

1. The tour is basically the same every year to make it easier on show planners and housing sites. If a show\housing site in Alabama can expect to have an event\corps in late july every year it makes it easier to plan for rather than figuring out differing logistics\conflicts each time. As much as i wish we could at least mess with the regional order (i'd love to run it in reverse, give Minneapolis or Denver allentown's 'last before finals' position sometimes.) this is one reason it probably wont happen.

2. "give a few years notice and they can deal with it". Yeah, you see its easy to say that, but most of them arent exactly running enough in the black they can just 'save up'. As far as 'just stay home', sorry but i dont think thats a good answer. Groups that havent gone before wont be massively hurt by the status quo staying the same, whereas i dont really want to see a corps that has gone to dci finals for decades be told '#### you if you cant afford it'.

3. Show density. Aside from california, shows are far and between once you get west of I-35. This makes for some looong drives that corps have a hard time breaking down into separate days because there are few show sites (and more corps rolling through there probably wouldnt increase the demand, its a population density thing). I remember that 07 tour as i was driving big chunks of it. That last stretch had some long drives. Meanwhile the distances going across the midwest\south are much shorter, which makes life easier on everyone.

I say do two weeks on the East Coast then two weeks on the West Coast, then flip-flop the next year. Skip the flyover states entirely.

Insulting and "mean-spirited" that your comment is, worse is that it's not supported by any evidence that such a plan would actually work. More likely DCI would fail financially in the first year.

But my conviction in your 1st Amendment prompts me to support your right to make an arse out of yourself, even on DCP.

Sorry Cappy, I'll preserve my 1st Amendment rights, too, even if I follow DCP's rules against political commentary not related to drum corps.

Of course, if that self-described "organization" shows up at drum corps shows to protest the lack of diversity in the summer marching band activity...

Edited by garfield

Well the problem with getting all the corps to come West is corps like Boston, the Cadets, and Crown. They would have to drive across the country for that. I believe that is one heck of a stretch of road. Since Crown goes as far as Texas.... Right? So does Boston and the Cadets?

I believe Crown made the trip out west in 2013, and their butting heads with BD all season probably helped them in the run for the gold. I could see why they don't make that run every year, though, as the increased cost is probably quite a bit. If I were them, why would I do that every year if I didn't have to? I sympathize with the point of the original post though. If I lived on the west coast I wouldn't be happy with this current arrangement either.

• Like 1