Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, Hrothgar15 said:

I don't mind them doing a costume. I mind that costume being just a thin layer of patterned spandex...

Yeah if they do something like what Bluecoats did last year, I will be pretty disappointed. 

33 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Great talk with the staff tonight. No specific show details but lots of information. Drew says they are going with a larger tuba and baritone section. Will be marching euphoniums as well

Glad to hear the euphs return. Prime/Van Doren had them during the legacy years, perhaps early Klesch too. I know they have made spot appearences in the decades since but it will center the sound a bit lower than the Bocook charts. Interesting as both Drew and Gino were trumpeters; however, Michael Terry majored in euphonium but was so often featured baritone under Bocook/Gino.  DCP poster NJHundred was a Cadet euphonium.

Edited by xandandl

I'm glad to hear the larger low brass approach as well, the 20 keyboards thing will be interesting and sounds like the entire corps will be in costumes and a "set" will frame the corps that won't move ("not on the field" but framing the field) and will allow for costume changes etc. If nothing else the whole thing sounds interesting!

Interesting thing Hopkins said... "We're gonna be here for a while, the next couple of years, which is one reason why this has taken so long."

Could be really cool to have a "trilogy" or "series" similar to Blue Knights of 2014-196, but focusing on one famous American, New York-based composer. 

I'm excited!

4 hours ago, buzz16 said:

Interesting thing Hopkins said... "We're gonna be here for a while, the next couple of years, which is one reason why this has taken so long."

Could be really cool to have a "trilogy" or "series" similar to Blue Knights of 2014-196, but focusing on one famous American, New York-based composer. 

I'm excited!

OR it could turn out like the Crossmen's trilogy of 92-94 and turn out not as great.

6 hours ago, buzz16 said:

I'm excited!

Yup! I'd expect that. I wonder who it could be!!??

The concert in the park in 2018 alludes to that as well

Hopkins has often been vocal about how Sacktig was late on getting drill written and about how that displeased him. And he again threw a little shade in last night's video, saying that drill this year was ahead of schedule relative not to last year but to years before that (that is, the Sacktig years). 

Also, for what it's worth, Hopkins is still FB friends with Iain Moyer and Jeff Sacktig but not with Gino Cipriani and Colin McNutt. 

Edited by kdaddy

7 hours ago, buzz16 said:

but focusing on one famous American, New York-based composer. 

EDIT: Ahh, I see you're talking about *that* famous American, New York-based composer...

Edited by kdaddy
  • Like 1