Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

They didn't have a total media blackout 

Hop did weekly FB chats

they did full camp reports each month 

the did FB pictures and posts throughout the winter

they did emails and tweets and mailings

they did home show announcements, stadium news 

they talked about camp attendance in articles and corps needs for certain instruments etc 

Pictures from camps

staff news about changes, roles, bios in articles and posts and web content updates

Music and show concept are literally the only things they didn't do

Correct.

3 hours ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

Today's the day :)

This show is going to be a killer this season!!

Edit: don't count out the Cadets for the Ott or Sanford this year

We'll soon find out. 

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

So '16 was an abomination?  C'mon. 

By Cadets standards, yes. I think they designed the show in 2 hours. Waste of great talent.

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

They didn't have a total media blackout 

Hop did weekly FB chats

they did full camp reports each month 

the did FB pictures and posts throughout the winter

they did emails and tweets and mailings

they did home show announcements, stadium news 

they talked about camp attendance in articles and corps needs for certain instruments etc 

Pictures from camps

staff news about changes, roles, bios in articles and posts and web content updates

Music and show concept are literally the only things they didn't do

And, this is why YEA fails to understand the power of modern social media. Heck, you get more content from Joel Osteen before he turns you around and takes your wallet. I've been in communications my entire career, and you're not going to convince me this was satisfactory. This is how I make my living, but what do I know?

1 minute ago, wallace said:

And, this is why YEA fails to understand the power of modern social media. Heck, you get more content from Joel Osteen before he turns you around and takes your wallet. I've been in communications my entire career, and you're not going to convince me this was satisfactory. This is how I make my living, but what do I know?

but it wasn't a "total media black out" and as someone in communications then you know that

I'm not particularly impressed by ANY corps year-round social outreach. But these are typically small organizations with very limited budgets and typically do not have a well-experienced media/communications manager on their team

most of us get that

DCI should work to supplement it as the parent organization - and they have a bit more going on year-round, but again, not impressive compared to what I'd imagine

but again, no "total media black out" 

9 minutes ago, wallace said:

And, this is why YEA fails to understand the power of modern social media. 

While most corps are only slowly picking up on the 24/365 nature of real social media engagement, I'd have to say that The Cadets historically do a good job letting you know what they're up to and why. This season was a bit less, but I for sure would not throw them in the Shako of Silence with the others.

Mike

9 minutes ago, wallace said:

What do you know about all it takes to run a successful drum corps in 2017?  I would guess maybe only a little. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What do you know about all it takes to run a successful drum corps in 2017?  I would guess maybe only a little. 

Yeah, running a multimillion dollar business with over a hundred employees is nothing like running a drum corps. Thanks for that!

So for a drum corps moment of Zen let's look back 25 years at the very-controlled (famously controlled) 1992 Cadets of Bergen County semi-finals performance

Cadets moved up in the standings big time the last 10 days of 1992 after putting numerous large changes into the program to "fix it" after a disappointing run in Texas in mid/late July that season

I remember the corps standing there waiting to start seemingly forever with the long pause after they were announced (on this video0 for their semi-finals performance - and then the controlled & quieter performance. Suddenly sets were clean, ensemble was locked in and rifles were caught. We saw a corps growing in confidence right in front of us

The audience around us sensed it - you can hear their quiet focus during the performance. Especially from the numerous Cavaliers fans that night

Such a great evening!

Cadets 1992 Semi-Finals:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wallace said:

Yeah, running a multimillion dollar business with over a hundred employees is nothing like running a drum corps. Thanks for that!

well I run a large organization I say running YEA! is probably tougher in many respects. But to quote you "what do I know?"

Edited by George Dixon
clarity