Cadets 2017

26 minutes ago, Ediker said:

surprised at the indifference/hostility the audience displayed toward the Cadets (and no other corps). 

We even get that in NJ.  My son marched at Raiders and Surf before joining Cadets, and encountered a LOT of hostility towards Cadets, mostly from marching-age kids who had no actual clue or reason for their animosity, but were just repeating someone else's opinion in order to sound knowledgeable.  And that's actually one of the reasons I think it's a good idea for Cadets to be more silent - there are SO many people who simply enjoy taking a dump on everything Cadets do, whether justified or not, that the bad vibes get picked up in the small echo-chamber that is the world of DCI and take on a life of their own, even when not earned.

Edit: it's also just the natural proclivity of youth to want to be hip and jump on the latest bandwagon, to show how cool and knowledgeable they are (and then usually badmouth anyone not on that bandwagon).  Since 2011 is practically ancient history to kids in the 17-21 range today, it's been all Crown & Bluecoats to that agegroup lately, and Cadets are just "old, stuffy, uptight and uncool". [sigh] 

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 7

25 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Looking forward to seeing all of the performances tonight. Last year, I saw the preview in a Boston theater and was surprised at the indifference/hostility the audience displayed toward the Cadets (and no other corps).  What was that about?  What happened to East Coast solidarity? 

What is this East Coast solidarity you speak of?  Never heard of it.

Edit:

I see the DCI theater things in Manhattan and the audience is mostly Cadet alums.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Eleran said:

We even get that in NJ.  My son marched at Raiders and Surf before joining Cadets, and encountered a LOT of hostility towards Cadets, mostly from marching-age kids who had no actual clue or reason for their animosity, but were just repeating someone else's opinion in order to sound knowledgeable.  And that's actually one of the reasons I think it's a good idea for Cadets to be more silent - there are SO many people who simply enjoy taking a dump on everything Cadets do, whether justified or not, that the bad vibes get picked up in the small echo-chamber that is the world of DCI and take on a life of their own, even when not earned.

Edit: it's also just the naturally proclivity of youth to want to be hip and jump on the latest bandwagon, to show how cool and knowledgeable they are (and then usually badmouth anyone not on that bandwagon).  Since 2011 is practically ancient history to kids in the 17-21 range today, it's been all Crown & Bluecoats to that agegroup lately, and Cadets are just "old, stuffy, uptight and uncool". [sigh] 

As a member of said age group, I have about 2 friends not involved in the organization (I have many marching Cadets2 and big boy Cadets this summer) that like and/or respect the Cadets...kind of sad to me

• Like 2

16 hours ago, candymancan said:

It moves at the same pace alot.  Sure the brass sounds great, they are great.  But most of their big, loud and hard licks are done standing still.  It looks like a really good BOA show.

Like BD doesn't park and blow (a lot)!  Cadets have for years played a bazillion notes while running around the field doing a Zacktig drill.  Now they are being criticized for playing at the same pace (which they're not).  Have you not listen to the piece by Bernstein called the MASS which the Cadets are doing?  I'm not even going to touch your BOA comment (fill in the blank).  Just watch the show tonight and see where the men in green place them.  I am a huge Cadet fan but I'm also a realist.  They just may have something here to work with me.  Only time will tell.

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fan of the Arts said:

Like BD doesn't park and blow (a lot)!  Cadets have for years played a bazillion notes while running around the field doing a Zacktig drill.  Now they are being criticized for playing at the same pace (which they're not).  Have you not listen to the piece by Bernstein called the MASS which the Cadets are doing?  I'm not even going to touch your BOA comment (fill in the blank).  Just watch the show tonight and see where the men in green place them.  I am a huge Cadet fan but I'm also a realist.  They just may have something here to work with me.  Only time will tell.

Fan of the Arts

Bro let's get out of "guard dog" mode and look at posts in context, mmkay?

he was talking about Crown

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eleran said:

[Pssstt ... I think he was talking about Crown's show, not Cadets']

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Bro let's get out of "guard dog" mode and look at posts in context, mmkay?

he was talking about Crown

:laughing::laughing:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ZachDrumCorps said:

As a member of said age group, I have about 2 friends not involved in the organization (I have many marching Cadets2 and big boy Cadets this summer) that like and/or respect the Cadets...kind of sad to me

I'm in that age group too, I don't quite understand the deep seated hatred. I can understand why some of the younger folks don't enjoy the shows (I've repeatedly said that Cadets' arrangements under Bocook have sounded stagnant/too old school relative to other corps and what he writes for Blue Knights) as they tend to have shows that don't embrace the modernistic abstraction of today's DCI, but some of the dislike goes beyond the shows and instead towards the corps which is bizarre to me. 

I've admittedly not really enjoyed the product put out by the Cadets the past few years, but that doesn't mean I have to hate the corps/organization itself.

• Like 3