Cadets 2017

3 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Can you say "sexy" on TV? 

Only on Oprah's show.:crazy:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jonwoody said:

Only because the Cadets are doing it. If BD did a show like this people would pee and jump up and down claiming it was the best show ever..:angel1:

I wouldn't. I'm not a BD fan at all. I can appreciate their excellence, but I almost never listen to or watch BD. I do like their show this year though. 

I don't see anyone saying anything about the religious aspects of the show. It's done tastefully in that sense. I think BAC might have some push back based on their theme, but not so much the Cadets.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eleran said:

No need to fix - that's why I just said "problematic", not "insulting" or anything.  

The thing is, I actually appreciate the theme of Cadets show especially this year.  I almost think they should have done promo similar to these movie trailers ...

"In a world of dark and edgy themes, of shadowy abstraction and pretension, one corps stood alone to offer a vision of hope.  One corps seeks and offers forgiveness.  The Cadets, coming to theaters tonight."

and of course Bernstein himself was not a conservative nor a baptized Christian and according to his biographers at times struggled with his Jewish roots. In Mass, he tries to tackle his questions while writing something beautiful which as Eleran cites helps build  hope. 

Edited by xandandl

3 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Only because the Cadets are doing it. If BD did a show like this people would pee and jump up and down claiming it was the best show ever..:angel1:

They would? I seem to remember BD taking at least a little criticism on here from time to time. Rare, but it's happened. :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Of course, I may be interpreting this wrong but wasn't Crown's show in 2015 about entering the gates of hell?  Lots of debauchery.  ;-)

Especially for Sunday competitions. Blasphemous! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Like Kathy Lee needed Regis

I wonder if there will be any discomfort about such a religious show from more conservative audience members 

You don't need to wonder...conservatives are not going to have any problem with this Cadets show or BAC's for that matter...please stop "labeling" people for your lack of non-tolerance towards other views that are not of your own...

37 minutes ago, Tobias said:

The conservatives will love part 1 (the faithful) and part 3 (the forgiven) and anyone who loves the decadence and debauchery, part 2 (the fallen). All bases covered and then we have have BAC with witch trials. The season is covered!!

See above...

34 minutes ago, xandandl said:

There was no conservative push back in 1983 and those were much more conservative times for DCI than today.

IIRC correctly, 2012 saw only one MM (trumpet from Greater Philly) left due to subject of show, but he admitted HNC did have its history and origins with a Catholic church.

Not all the arrangers nor mms of the present program today are faith members to be sure but they embrace the show as an artistic challenge to perform. Ditto when Regiment played Ave Maria and Madison did the Judas show. I'm sure not all BAC mms believe in witchcraft though they form a pentagram.

No need to stir controversies where they aren't. Take it up with the new Artistic Director for DCI.

We finally agree on something...that is not that often...lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liahona said:

You don't need to wonder...conservatives are not going to have any problem with this Cadets show or BAC's for that matter...please stop "labeling" people for your lack of non-tolerance towards other views that are not of your own...

See above...

We finally agree on something...that is not that often...lol

you may take an extra helping at Stew Leonards.

• Like 1

Wow that was incredible...

Seemed like a valid question-- my aunt is pretty religious and she came to finals in Denver and thought it was wrong that our show (Capital Regiment) quoted the Doxology (Holsinger piece) in the secular context of marching band. Since the show seems to draw heavily on Catholic imagery (including a lot of crosses) and, you know, the MASS, a most holy ritual for Catholics, but in repurposed for the realm of secular entertainment... I'm just wondering out loud if some people might find it odd. Was their criticism of the original piece? <hits Wikipedia>

29 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Funny you say that. I disliked that show so much at the time but it's grown on me as time passed. 

I was going to say that folks bashed the crap out of the Christmas show at the time.   They also did that to 2005 (drumspeak = sacrilege), 2007, 2011, etc.  

Perhaps 2017 will be added to that list in time?

So it is informed by the anti-war movement and the political environment of the early 70s, questioning faith and authourity. It sounds like a great subject for a piece! But some audience members may have been against that then and now that's all