Final Thoughts on 2016

I just thought it was boring. I'm sorry. I know people loved the show. More power to them. The opening was sublime...and the very ending was creative. But I didn't understand where the music was going or what was going on in between the opening and closing. So what "everything is shiny and brilliant white while we play loud and form the shape of a leaf." What was the music communicating, sans Vivaldi, from minute 2 to minute 10 or 11? Nothing. Just noise. Except for Vivaldi of course! Ok, change of seasons...yawn. Seasons change. I see the seasons change every year. The pink color guard ... hideous. The whiteness...totally overrated in my opinion. I know, I know. Everyone is supposed to LOVE this show. :) My 9 year old nephew fell asleep. Just kidding. I don't have a 9-year old nephew.

I agree about SCV this year. They were very uninspiring and boring, very vanilla!. They seemed to drone on forever and made me sleepy...and I normally like SCV.

Look out!

#VanguardHaters are coming out of the woodwork!!!

• Like 2

Look out!

#VanguardHaters are coming out of the woodwork!!!

lol.

i though vanguard got too big of a pass for doing Yet Another Four Seasons show. sure it was done well and the drill was wonderful. but honestly nothing special in that show unless you just want to get all googly-eyed about SCV. (which clearly many DCPr's were willing to do)

les mis, scheherezade ? haven't really liked a show concept since the Devil's Staircase. come on design team, give the MM's something fresh and new!

all of these rehashes -- it's kind of like doing West Side Story. sure you can make it work. but where's the creativity?

Edited by corpsband

BLUE DEVILS: As per usual, they are contenders, and set the bar for Visual GE and Analysis. Case in point: the opening ripple movement and tarp wave was very impressive. And then the come out strong musically (with a quad feature/trombones) after that. They had a hard battery book this year and played it very well. I felt the quad tuning wasn't as clear as year's past though. Maybe it will be more clear on the APD. I truly thought outside of the the Bieber/Dance section this could have won. I found that part a little disjointed from the rest of the show, just my opinion. That ballad, oh wow. Beyond amazing visually and musically. The hurricane/whirlpool sets were very cool, just wish I could have heard the battery more, but props to them for that drill.

For Me: BEST BALLAD | BEST OVERALL VISUAL

I so agree. The show was stronger WITHOUT the Bieber. I think the dance break craze has run it's course.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

My final thoughts: I'll stop predicting corps placements next year. I was soooo far off. Of the 15 I picked, I had 1 right. I did get the top three right, but as Simon Cowell says, "That's a whole lot of so what"! Which is how I felt about parts of some shows this year. Congrats to all though.

Something fun to think about. SCV wins a gold...for the encore performance they intentionally line up a moment to the bottle dance then....NOT! in a homage to VK.

I think it is highly unlikely that SCV will do the bottle dance (unless they do a Fiddler on the Roof show), but I would say the chances of SCV Alumni doing the bottle dance are approximately 100%

• Like 3