Final Thoughts on 2016

Hi all, what are everyone's final thoughts on 2016?

I attended all three nights of finals. My opinion:

Bluecoats were magnificent. To me the skate-board ramps weren't the only reason why they won. It was the unbridled enthusiasm and unleashed freedom of the musicians. It was part playground, part wild fiesta, part heavenly joy, part freedom of flight, etc. No wonder people have written this is the show that will change drum corps moving forward.

Carolina Crown's changed ending, where the guy showed him grace, instead of shooting him was a smart move. It was a show that tugged your heart strings. A brilliant visual show. LOVED the theme. Very well done.

Blue Devils - I'm not a BD fan, but I was this year. This show was so creative and so well done. The 20 or so trombones...oh my Lord. This is the show I would want non-drum corps people to see to introduce them to drum corps. It just blew me away. Most dramatic show. Love the tarp and wave. Very triumphant towards the end. Bravo!

Cadets - I didn't think they were as bad as a lot of people are saying. Great show. Very entertaining. Ok, from a design stand-point, a little unfinished, but still a very very good show.

SCV - sorry SCV. I didn't understand it. My eyes needed a break because of all the white...white pants...white posters, white trees. The beginning was sublime, but everything else was confusing, had no coherent theme (even though it's supposed to be force of nature), the pink color guard clashed completely...the music was boring (except for beginning) and content was vague.

Cavaliers - WOW. WOW. WOW. Visually exciting and brilliant. Tremendous music and horn line. Creative! Not ideological or divisive AT ALL...just explaining the phenomenon of propoganda. A show to be remembered.

Academy - WOW. WOW. WOW. One of my favorites. Drum Major was SUPERB.

You didn't get SCV's show? Really?

It was about the easiest show of all to understand, the seasons, as in nature! My 9 year old nephew got it first time.

Are you serious? You didn't understand SCV? It's literally what you experience every year. The seasons...... Literally.......... The seasons.

It's fine though.

I just thought it was boring. I'm sorry. I know people loved the show. More power to them. The opening was sublime...and the very ending was creative. But I didn't understand where the music was going or what was going on in between the opening and closing. So what "everything is shiny and brilliant white while we play loud and form the shape of a leaf." What was the music communicating, sans Vivaldi, from minute 2 to minute 10 or 11? Nothing. Just noise. Except for Vivaldi of course! Ok, change of seasons...yawn. Seasons change. I see the seasons change every year. The pink color guard ... hideous. The whiteness...totally overrated in my opinion. I know, I know. Everyone is supposed to LOVE this show. :) My 9 year old nephew fell asleep. Just kidding. I don't have a 9-year old nephew.

Edited by chris7997
  • Like 1

I just thought it was boring. I'm sorry. I know people loved the show. More power to them. The opening was sublime...and the very ending was creative. But I didn't understand where the music was going or what was going on in between the opening and closing. So what "everything is shiny and brilliant white while we play loud and form the shape of a leaf." What was the music communicating, sans Vivaldi, from minute 2 to minute 10 or 11? Nothing. Just noise. Except for Vivaldi of course! Ok, change of seasons...yawn. Seasons change. I see the seasons change every year. The pink color guard ... hideous. The whiteness...totally overrated in my opinion. I know, I know. Everyone is supposed to LOVE this show. :)

Wtf

• Like 3

I just thought it was boring. I'm sorry. I know people loved the show. More power to them. The opening was sublime...and the very ending was creative. But I didn't understand where the music was going or what was going on in between the opening and closing. So what "everything is shiny and brilliant white while we play loud and form the shape of a leaf." What was the music communicating, sans Vivaldi, from minute 2 to minute 10 or 11? Nothing. Just noise. Except for Vivaldi of course! Ok, change of seasons...yawn. Seasons change. I see the seasons change every year. The pink color guard ... hideous. The whiteness...totally overrated in my opinion. I know, I know. Everyone is supposed to LOVE this show. :) My 9 year old nephew fell asleep. Just kidding. I don't have a 9-year old nephew.

No wonder you've only had 75 posts since 2013...

exactly!! couldn't have said it better :)

I agree with absolutely everything you said except SCV. My reaction to their show was almost visceral as it elevated me - it was integrated, subtle, aesthetic and beautiful.

My final thoughts are same as initial thoughts. People still only care about the top 6/7 and forget the rest. Groups in the 8-43 had better designed shows IMO and sadly don't get talked about.

I recall hearing a LOT of people enthusiastically talking about the 11th place show.

• Like 1

My final thoughts are same as initial thoughts. People still only care about the top 6/7 and forget the rest. Groups in the 8-43 had better designed shows IMO and sadly don't get talked about.

Ehh, there was a lot more this year overall. Especially The Academy.

And I have 1st - 38th plus some OC corps that didn't make it to championships in my review I'm posting later today, I'll make up some of that.

;)

Maybe your uncle does?

• Like 1