THE ACADEMY 2017

3 hours ago, cowtown said:

They needed more demand to stay in finals, looks like they added it so now it’s a matter of who showed up to march there and can they handle it  

I think this is quite accurate. I really believe the show as a package has the potential to land them easily in finals, and appears to have more demand --- musically, at least --- than anyone else in their competitive neighborhood. But, we can't count on The Academy yet as a corps that always cleans or never cleans, etc. The new finalist Academy is, well, new to everyone. I do think the design is there, and Klesch has done a stunning job with the music book. It's just a matter of how much they can clean it and how much magic they can inject.

1 minute ago, Jake W. said:

I think this is quite accurate. I really believe the show as a package has the potential to land them easily in finals, and appears to have more demand --- musically, at least --- than anyone else in their competitive neighborhood. But, we can't count on The Academy yet as a corps that always cleans or never cleans, etc. The new finalist Academy is, well, new to everyone. I do think the design is there, and Klesch has done a stunning job with the music book. It's just a matter of how much they can clean it and how much magic they can inject.

There were some changes and drill rewrites in Minneapolis, they're not just gonna let it slip through their fingers that's for sure.  I still enjoy it quite a bit, just has a few more kinks than last year did out the gate.

They more than have the talent and framework, and if they make the right changes and additions who knows what could happen.    

• Like 3

On 7/9/2017 at 10:38 PM, candl said:

sigh. I long for the day when "effect" means "effect on the audience".

posted from the DrumScorps app

That's a dangerous slippery slope. 

Id rather not, as it would turn DCI into a popularity contest and would limit the variety of shows put on the field 

• Like 2

Question: Anyone else notice, or know why, the conductor podiums are SO FAR BACK from the field? I understand moving them to get out of the line of sight from the 50 and/or to allow the front ensemble to engage with the audience more... but it seems like for every show available online, the podium is a good 30 yards away from the sideline, and it's freaking me out! :unsure:

55 minutes ago, buzz16 said:

Question: Anyone else notice, or know why, the conductor podiums are SO FAR BACK from the field? I understand moving them to get out of the line of sight from the 50 and/or to allow the front ensemble to engage with the audience more... but it seems like for every show available online, the podium is a good 30 yards away from the sideline, and it's freaking me out! :unsure:

Why would it freak you out?

It is cool.  They're being different.  I'm not sure why they do that, but there's isn't a rule that says conductors have to be any place, right?

I dunno.

I remember when conductors were called drum majors.  Sigh.

5 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Why would it freak you out?

It is cool.  They're being different.  I'm not sure why they do that, but there's isn't a rule that says conductors have to be any place, right?

I dunno.

Maybe freak out is too strong of a term - it's just so far away from all of the performers that timing would get wonky, especially in domes. Also the old stadiums along the east coast don't have that much sideline space. I'm just curious as to why they made that decision. 

48 minutes ago, buzz16 said:

Maybe freak out is too strong of a term - it's just so far away from all of the performers that timing would get wonky, especially in domes. Also the old stadiums along the east coast don't have that much sideline space. I'm just curious as to why they made that decision. 

My guess is to be different and suck the audience in a bit more.

Thing is, people should be watching the conductor, so I am not sure how that would affect timing at all.

I agree that it is a little different, but I don't think it would anything negative.

I do think it is neat that you are noticing that and mentioning it, as I'm sure you're not the only one curious about that. 

Attended  ensemble  rehearsal last night in Bellevue IA.  The Academy  has made major changes to their show.  Overall show has better flow and staging than in past.  It is going to be a fight for 12th place in Indianapolis.