National Endowment for the Arts

16 hours ago, shofmon88 said:

The latest news on the upcoming budget indicates that the National Endowment of the Arts, which has a $149 million budget for 2017, is targeted for complete defunding. This federal agency provides grants for art, music, and theatre across the U.S.

I'm wondering what impact this will have on DCI. Does DCI receive any funding from NEA? Have they in the past? Any attack on the arts is troublesome for DCI, but this seems like one that could potentially have a direct impact. 

And the impact could veer in either direction.  We had a LOT more drum corps back in the day when there was less scholastic arts funding.  If schools cut back on arts, private sector programs like drum corps can step up and meet the displaced demand.

I'm gonna go with this - this thread is fun:  I think the NEA funding discussion has it's origin as a little piece of the much larger problem of what's happened with the national debt, which has exploded with an additional 9 trillion added in just the past 8 years.  So, yes, defund the NEA..  Every little bit helps, right?  But there are chunks so much larger and so much more egregious that need to be addressed..

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, xandandl said:

You are forgetting your alma mater Cadets marched for Obama, Crusaders for JFK, and Troopers for Bush and others.

Uh, X!  Boston marched for LBJ and BHO.

Edited by Ghost

15 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

And the impact could veer in either direction.  We had a LOT more drum corps back in the day when there was less scholastic arts funding.  If schools cut back on arts, private sector programs like drum corps can step up and meet the displaced demand.

Remember what day and age we are in IF we cut back on school programs we run the risk of killing off drum corps today. BITD drum corps were community based, many sponsored by things such as legions, VFWs, church groups etc etc. Those days are long gone....jmo

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

Really?  Try telling the President of Talladega College that his band marching in the parade is 'not' a political hot-potato!!!!

A Marching Band , or Drum Corps, marching in a Presidential Inauguration parade is a celebratory, joyful event. It has always been considered so by everyone. Most people believe this to be true this year as well ( By the way, congrats to the Alabama MB for their selection to the Presidential Inauguration Parade. Its quite an honor to march in a Presidntial Inauuration Parade, and I can see why the MB  is so proud to be one of the contigents selected ). The fact however that SOME want to make this decision by the MB a " political hot potato ", is really just their choice. An NFL football game, and its pre game ceremonies are an honored tradition of non politics as well. The fact that a few people decide ti make it " political ", does not mean that the overwhelming vast majority of NFL football fans consider the ceremonies appropriate as a " political " setting, befitting political statements.

But we digress... this thread is a " political thread " as it does not involve DCI Drum Corps except very marginally, if at all. It is a thread that involves political decisions anticipated to be made by elected politicians and which does not directly effect DCI Corps.. It does not involve the Colts, nor the Talladega College MB either. it involves the possible defunding of a Fed; Gov't program by elected politicians. That fits the conventional definition of a " political thread " if there ever was one, imo. And thus, under the guedelines, it automatically calls for this " political thread " to be removed as such. The fact that it remains, points to the inherent misapplication of the forum rules, imo. BUT, it is what it is, and so we learn to live with the misapplication and the capriciousness of the inconsistent enforcement of this site's rules for posting.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

... An NFL football game, and its pre game ceremonies are an honored tradition of non politics as well. The fact that a few people decide ti make it " political ", does not mean that the overwhelming vast majority of NFL football fans consider the ceremonies appropriate as a " political " setting, befitting political statements...

The NFL spends millions of dollars each year on Lobbying Federal Congress and NFL teams seek funding from Governmental agencies to build stadiums.  Both of those subjects fall in the realm of 'politics';  and what you seem to be advocating is that if this were a sports site as opposed to a marching arts site that we should not be able to discuss those particular subjects as it applies to the NFL:

56 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I'm gonna go with this - this thread is fun:  I think the NEA funding discussion has it's origin as a little piece of the much larger problem of what's happened with the national debt, which has exploded with an additional 9 trillion added in just the past 8 years.  So, yes, defund the NEA..  Every little bit helps, right?  But there are chunks so much larger and so much more egregious that need to be addressed..

All great points. One issue...one that has been around as long as government money is spent on anything... is that every program/initiative/department funded by taxpayer dollars has its own constituency that immediately talks of a doomsday scenario if one dime of spending is reduced. LOL. I am NOT at all saying government does not have a role to play in many areas... (as a libertarian at heart, probably too many areas for my taste...LOL) but maybe, just maybe, things like arts funding would be in better hands with the private sector. 

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

what you seem to be advocating is that if this were a sports site as opposed to a marching arts site that we should not be able to discuss those particular subjects as it applies to the NFL:

No. I make no such comparisons at all. I don't even know what you are talking about now, as its far removed from anything I've said so far. Each site, sports or otherwise, have their own particular forum rules ( some allow obscenity, nudity, vulgarity, politics, etc.....you name it ). I am referring here to THIS sites forum rules currently in place, Stu..... not any others that might be out there, sports forums or otherwise.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

No. I make no such comparisons at all. I don't even know what you are talking about now, as its far removed from anything I've said so far. Each site, sports or otherwise, have their own particular forum rules ( some allow obscenity, nudity, vulgarity, politics, etc.....you name it ). I am referring here to THIS sites forum rules currently in place, Stu..... not any others that might be out there, sports forums or otherwise.

Please remind us on who brought the NFL into this conversation claiming that what it does has no political aspects other than what a few fans make it out to be?  And what I was pointing out is that since the NFL does directly interact with politics and receives money from Government entities that subject matter is relevant within the realm of sports discussions; just like the subject of marching arts entities interacting directly, or indirectly, with Government artistic grants and the NEA is relevant within our discussions here on DCP.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I really believe the arts would be better AND the "NEA" would be better if the organization was taken into the private sector through reorganization

It should be a private entity, NGO, non-partisan. Not a government entity or role IMO

Reorganizing it as an NGO would probably increase donations and impact. JMO

The problem with that is  a LOT of the NGO funding these organization receive comes in as a direct result of the initial grant from the NEArts.   How do I know that?  Read my earlier post from the NEArts annual statement.  

NEA awards will generate more than $600 million in matching support; in our direct grantmaking categories alone, the ratio of matching to federal funds will approach 10:1, far surpassing the required non-federal match of at least one to one.