Creative or highly effective funding mechanisms

22 hours ago, garfield said:

What?  Pick a fight?  Are you kidding?  I've been trying to get you and others - BRASSO - to provide SOMETHING, ANYTHING of substance to the OP's question.  But the two of you want to quip, and demonstrate your wit, and cite silly history that has NO REFERENCE to the challenges of raising money in our activity.

This thread brought forth probably the single most important challenge to every music org ever, and the sum total of the brain trust of DCP is to quote (poorly) Willy Sutton, aspersions cast, chests puffed up like mating gorillas, pot shots thrown, and a challenge from some guy from the northeast with a bad attitude.  WHAT HAS A SINGLE POST OF YOURS DONE TO ANSWER THE OP'S QUESTION?  i'd like some demonstration of fundamental experience with the OP's challenge, and some modicum of a solution to supplement all of the "obvious, don't make it too complicated" options and is now looking for a more creative solution.  BINGO??!!  Brasso, are you kidding me?

You see, this subject is, likely the very same subject that will challenge, dog, and potentially cripple a lot of very well-meaning dreams in our activity.  I think it's owed far more than the level of discourse demonstrated here.  If the most-vocal of you had actually spent any time at all on the business end of running a drum corps, you would speak with reverence of this subject, not with wit and silly banter.  And don't preach to me about what DCP is or should be; I've been here longer.

I'm STILL WAITING for a single example of a creative or highly effective fundraising program, and I'm more and more convinced that very few on this thread have ACTUAL hands-on experience in addressing the OP's challenge.

The irony is that I happen to agree with much of what Brasso said regarding donor care.  But that was well beyond losing those acutely interested to the silliness of the Willy Sutton reference.  It's actually idiotic to believe the fundraising puzzle is as simple as a misquoted bank robber's analogy.

Here's a creative and successful solution:  Start a Soundsport team (Brasso, I'm pretty much aware).  On holidays like July 4th, send your SS team to a more relaxed parade and your OC/WC org to another parade.  If the parades pay, there's leverage from having a "part time performance" group like Soundsport.

That's not even a great one, but it's a HE11 of a lot more practical usable advice from experience than almost any else demonstrated here, and certainly factors-more than any solution brought forth by you.

Yeah, pick a fight!  I wasn't really joining in with the offering of fundraising ideas, so you missed that.  I was making a comment that a slap to Brasso was due to a poster missing his point.  A lighthearted point but nevertheless  an analogous point.  Sometimes some posters take themselves way too seriously so much so, the get their panties in a bunch when they try so hard to make others provide SOMETHING, ANYTHING of what they might feel is of "substance". A bit of self annointed overseeing, if you will.  Maybe stop pointing out and debasing what others write so much of the time.  So you want ideas?  How about annual fund raising auctions for alumni and friend where donations of items or services in kind are available?  Or reach out to the local corporate community (after researching what their potential involvement could be) and have a "free" concert in the community where the corporate "sponsors" could be there and be very publically recognized for their help and partnership? How about creating a base of operations and market the organizations staff to help with community grass roots efforts and get municipal partnerships to assist?  Grow the Board of Directors and develop a wide talent pool of members from many varied disciplines to reach out to casting a wide net of assistance, kind of like diversifying your portfolio but from a talent resource  perspective.  Invest financially when possible, to keep a safe stream of income available.

oh yeah, then do bake sales, car washes and candle sales to max your ROI.  That would be the most inefficient, time consuming and exhausting tedium, extremely hard to do in today's DC because of the geographical managing of MM's trying to raise tour fees and fund raise for the org.

i hope I have pleased you with my ideas.  Are they sufficiently substantial?  Less pomposity and condescension would be nice.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, garfield said:

What?  

.  It's actually idiotic to believe the fundraising puzzle is as simple as a bank robber's analogy.

Lol!... The gift ( or in this case a joke) that just keeps on giving!... haha!

Edited by BRASSO

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Lol!... The gift ( or in this case a joke) that just keeps on giving!... haha!

Actually your Bank Robbery analogy was rather close to reality in that BD proposed taking all DCI revenue and support away from the Spartans to fund their own BD agenda.  Which you still have not addressed as to why, if funding is not that complicated, that BD found it necessary to propose such a plan.

10-Cent Beer Night at a drum corps show.

Since it worked so well for the Cleveland Indians back in the day. :tongue:

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 6:44 PM, LabMaster said:

Yeah, pick a fight!  I wasn't really joining in with the offering of fundraising ideas, so you missed that.  I was making a comment that a slap to Brasso was due to a poster missing his point.  A lighthearted point but nevertheless  an analogous point.  Sometimes some posters take themselves way too seriously so much so, the get their panties in a bunch when they try so hard to make others provide SOMETHING, ANYTHING of what they might feel is of "substance". A bit of self annointed overseeing, if you will.  Maybe stop pointing out and debasing what others write so much of the time.  So you want ideas?  How about annual fund raising auctions for alumni and friend where donations of items or services in kind are available?  Or reach out to the local corporate community (after researching what their potential involvement could be) and have a "free" concert in the community where the corporate "sponsors" could be there and be very publically recognized for their help and partnership? How about creating a base of operations and market the organizations staff to help with community grass roots efforts and get municipal partnerships to assist?  Grow the Board of Directors and develop a wide talent pool of members from many varied disciplines to reach out to casting a wide net of assistance, kind of like diversifying your portfolio but from a talent resource  perspective.  Invest financially when possible, to keep a safe stream of income available.

oh yeah, then do bake sales, car washes and candle sales to max your ROI.  That would be the most inefficient, time consuming and exhausting tedium, extremely hard to do in today's DC because of the geographical managing of MM's trying to raise tour fees and fund raise for the org.

i hope I have pleased you with my ideas.  Are they sufficiently substantial?  Less pomposity and condescension would be nice.

I'll tell you what - you answer any way you choose.  Your posts will demonstrate your credibility.  I don't.

33 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yea, this worked in the old days.  Not so much in today's litigious society.

Yea, Cleveland was totally unprepared....

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

While beer night may be frowned upon in today's world of drum corps, in the S.F. region of California, if you change the old-days 'beer night' to 'cannabis night' it just might fly as a high yielding idea! :bluedevil:

Edited by Stu

28 minutes ago, garfield said:

Yea, this worked in the old days. 

Worked about as well as Disco Demolition Night.  :lol:

On 3/8/2017 at 8:10 PM, BRASSO said:

Go find lots and lots of people with lots and lots of money, and appeal to them in an emotional and practical way for a large, annual, donation for "a worthy, youthful cause". Then do something for them in return that makes them believe their donation was personally (or financially) rewarding for them to do so. This tried-and-true method of raising needed money is still better than any new, fancy, "novel" way to raise money (that could dry up . . . and disappear) that I can think of at the moment, anyway.

This is absolutely correct, in my opinion, although it should be pointed out that your method is as subject as any other to the danger of "drying up": people move away or die all the time. Planned giving can help with the latter: get your program into their wills!

Still it would be nice to hear about different fundraising techniques that have been attempted. I haven't read past the first few posts of this thread yet. Is there a list compiled in here somewhere? E.g., Blue Devils' sources are A, B, C, while Cadets' sources are X, Y, Z?

I work in theatre, where in addition to "earned" revenue (primarily ticket sales), which in most theatres supports 40-60% of the expenses, the remainder is funded through "contributed" revenue which includes: (1) individual giving, including that from board members; (2) corporate giving; (3) foundation giving; (4) government support (local, state, and federal--the latter usually tied to a specific program); (5) special events (e.g., big benefit gala with entertainment and an auction); and (6) quarterly transfers from an endowment.

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Actually your Bank Robbery analogy was rather close to reality in that BD proposed taking all DCI revenue and support away from the Spartans to fund their own BD agenda.  Which you still have not addressed as to why, if funding is not that complicated, that BD found it necessary to propose such a plan.

Wait, what happened with BD and Spartans? Was it those two corps specifically, or is that a generalization of something bigger? I'm curious to learn more about what was actually proposed and when.