Phantom Regiment 2017

9 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Am I the only one that thinks this show should have been done last year? 

I really think it took last year to necessitate the hiring of Wes Cartwright and to head down this path.

A buddy told me in Indy last year that he'd heard the 2016 show was to appease the old fogies and that 2017 would turn the corner to something more modern. I think last year happened for a reason, and what we're seeing is the result.  

• Like 6

Bravo Regiment!

What an amazing show. That is the Regiment that I love.

• Like 1

Some serious 'Good Lord' moments sprinkled throughout this show.

Looking forward to seeing how the corps develops this beast of a show throughout the summer.

Excited for them. I haven't felt this way about the show since '08. 

Edited by tim_brandt
  • Like 2

Hmmmmm...what can I say???

Best musical book in a long time. Flows much better piece to piece and within the overarching theme. It's nice to let the design team create something without vices constraining them. Reminds me of '95 in some spots  

Critiques: Ballad feels a bit out of place. Sounds like something Cavies or Madison would have done sometime around 1990. Maybe move it to a minor?

Am I the only one that was hoping the ending would be angry? I think it'd work better because I'm getting a bit of Crown '15 from the theme (dark to light). 

Edited by phd-student-TTU

I listened to the flat earth video, so I can pick a few things out that I couldn't in the facebook video (e.g., Finlandia in the ballad and reprise in the closer). 

I was hoping to hear a few strains of Finlandia to start the show, especially given the listed performance order, but I like how the show opens. Love the Shostakovich and Khachaturian.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was expecting "spooky," so the ballad is just not doing it for me. The slow movement of Rach 2 sounds like a pop tune originally, but then given All By Myself, it's definitely a pop tune! Even "spooky" aside, it doesn't appropriately fit with the aggression of the other tunes. An arrangement of the Finlandia hymn would've fit better here as the entire ballad, in my opinion.

Signature use of electronics by Phantom Regiment: amplified female voice.

Regardless of placement, I want to have good feels about Phantom Regiment. And I have good feels about this show right now. Looking forward to the visuals!