Phantom Regiment 2017

Missed it!

1 minute ago, jjeffeory said:

Missed it!

And the Buzz / anticipation begins....

• Like 2

so who reccored it?  if it is out there send me a link

Alllriiight!!  Phantom!!!!  Another top three corps for '17. Lets see, Phantom, BD, SCV, Cavies, Bluecoats, Cadets,  Crown. Holy cow we're looking at 7 corps medaling. Gonna be a great year!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

Alllriiight!!  Phantom!!!!  Another top three corps for '17. Lets see, Phantom, BD, SCV, Cavies, Bluecoats, Cadets,  Crown. Holy cow we're looking at 7 corps medaling. Gonna be a great year!

It's gonna be a bloodbath

IMO here's my analysis. Wasn't too disappointed by performance wise from the members, there were shimmer moments in there. But for the most part, I was really bored with what was going on writing wise up until that brass feature toward the end with runs and articulation shtuff that I really liked. Not expecting much from the show.

Just now, brassdude6171 said:

IMO here's my analysis. Wasn't too disappointed by performance wise from the members, there were shimmer moments in there. But for the most part, I was really bored with what was going on writing wise up until that brass feature toward the end with runs and articulation shtuff that I really liked. Not expecting much from the show.

There's always that person on Price is Right that bets $1, just to hedge against an overbid by the others. ;)

• Like 4

On 6/7/2017 at 3:28 PM, GREENBLUE said:

Definitely positive direction for phantom. Not really what I was expecting out of a show called Phantasm but enjoyed the music. I know it's early but was hoping, as some others have mentioned,something a little more eerie/darker.

Honest thought...don't hate. Questioning how it's going to score with the judges? Looking at the past few years the medalists seem to have more layers, I guess would be the word? Maybe Depth? They seem to reward those crazy combinations of electronics and traditional and mashups of new music you wouldn't expect to work, look at BD and Bluecoats the last few years. Even look at the Cavies last year changing and adding the layers in Propaganda moving up four spots. Maybe more WGI-ish? Not really sure how to explain. It just seems they're not rewarding straight forward in terms of both drill and music.

Thanks for the clarification.

Since your assessment of where the activity is seemingly going and where some might want to drag the activity to be going parallels some recent competitive success, your comments would seem of great merit. But it then raises the greater question of whether the activity (and its judges) will have the depth to allow variety of approaches or will it become like much of WGI, cookie cutter formulaic performances? Now yes the judges are employees of DCI which is ultimately the corps themselves. But with such little rotation of personalities leading the judging world, what becomes the question is are we now subject to cloning philosophies, monolithic interpretations of what is good design, and a mandate in fact that corps like Phantom or Cadets or Troopers must change their historical personalities?  I'd like to think that the activity could have a wide breath if all the performances were equal technically (which they are not as not all corps have equivalent talent or personnel.) And will the audience tire of the "unique" every other corps copies? Will corps tax themselves out of existence due to the cost? Will the manic move toward 7 ring circus types of performances be what the audience will continue to pay to see? Will the trend toward such large reps in one show break the bank due to such large licensing fees and copyright costs?  These are questions. I do not have infallible answers.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 3

Success doesn't come quickly in DCI. Cavies fans can say they jumped 4 spots, but we know the product they put out in 2015 was not truly a 9th place show, they were unfortunately plagued that year and it held them back at an important time. 

I don't expect a huge placement jump. I would be happy with 6th, but don't expect it to happen. I just want

1. For me and everyone else to be genuinely entertained by the show

2. See a show that the members aren't maxing out by the end of July. 

If they can do both of those things, I'll be happy. If they can start doing the above consistently, eventually they will pull more talent and build towards higher placements

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Success doesn't come quickly in DCI. Cavies fans can say they jumped 4 spots, but we know the product they put out in 2015 was not truly a 9th place show, they were unfortunately plagued that year and it held them back at an important time. 

I don't expect a huge placement jump. I would be happy with 6th, but don't expect it to happen. I just want

1. For me and everyone else to be genuinely entertained by the show

2. See a show that the members aren't maxing out by the end of July. 

If they can do both of those things, I'll be happy. If they can start doing the above consistently, eventually they will pull more talent and build towards higher placements

After hearing a little music from shows in what I believe will be that placement area, I have no idea how the placements are going to work out. They're all really pretty darned great this year!  I know I just feel better when Phantom is near the top.   They're not my favorite corps, but they have had many of my favorite shows over the years.    

Whoever said bloodbath regarding placements this year is right.  It's going to be a battle all year long for many corps to maintain or gain on the last year's placement, but they're all going to be amazing, which I don't always automatically say...

• Like 3