Phantom Regiment 2017

Did anyone get the chance to download the recording before it got pulled? 

1 hour ago, kdaddy said:

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was expecting "spooky," so the ballad is just not doing it for me. The slow movement of Rach 2 sounds like a pop tune originally, but then given All By Myself, it's definitely a pop tune!

So, after reading this I had to Wikipedia the Eric Carmen song, because I swear that I heard it in the Phantom concert performance. I never knew about the linkage between the Rach piece and "All By Myself." Learn something new every day. It all makes sense now. Thanks, kdaddy, for allowing this non-music major to enlighten himself.

THIS IS MY SONG

(Jan Sibelius - 1899 / Wds Lloyd Stone - 1934)

Finlandia

This is my song, O God of all the nations, A song of peace for lands afar and mine.

This is my home, the country where my heart is, Here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine.

But other hearts in other lands are beating, With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean, And sunlight beams on clover leaf and pine.

But other lands have sunlight too, and clover, And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.

O hear my song,Thou God of all the nations, A song of peace for their land and for mine. 

46 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

So, after reading this I had to Wikipedia the Eric Carmen song, because I swear that I heard it in the Phantom concert performance. I never knew about the linkage between the Rach piece and "All By Myself." Learn something new every day. It all makes sense now. Thanks, kdaddy, for allowing this non-music major to enlighten himself.

Eric Carmen, not to be confused with Eric Cartman.

As an engineer myself, I can't explain musically why a lot of Rachmaninoff's stuff (Rachmanistuff) sounds pop-ish/jazzy. Key, I guess? Making a pop tune out of the slow movement of Rach 2 was a no brainer.

2 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Nice battery arranging too, who is writing for them?  

Rob Ferguson is writing for the entire percussion line this year. Previously, he had written for just the pit while Bret Kuhn wrote the battery parts.

• Like 1

1) LOVE the tuba feature early on in the show. Sounds great!

2) Love the way the second movement grows in the pit before the brass come in, then finishes off in a similar manner.

Looking forward to seeing this show on the field, because the music already has me feeling some type of way!

• Like 2