Phantom Regiment 2017

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I had the video from Concert in the Park saved from Facebook, and they took it down!!!!!! WWWWWHHHHYYYYYYY?!?!?!??!

Edited by OldSchoolCorps

29 minutes ago, OldSchoolCorps said:

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I had the video from Concert in the Park saved from Facebook, and they took it down!!!!!! WWWWWHHHHYYYYYYY?!?!?!??!

same here. They may be shortening that music box portion and perhaps one of the percussion features a snippet. They were well overtime even with pre-show allowances. I liked what I heard.

"Even "spooky" aside, it doesn't appropriately fit with the aggression of the other tunes."

My guess is that the contrast is exploring the 'reality vs. imagination' theme. 

i.e. maybe a Schizophrenic - ish theme. We'll know when we see it on the field, I imagine. 

Edited by tim_brandt

3 hours ago, g00fyg00ber said:

1) LOVE the tuba feature early on in the show. Sounds great!

2) Love the way the second movement grows in the pit before the brass come in, then finishes off in a similar manner.

Looking forward to seeing this show on the field, because the music already has me feeling some type of way!

Serious Feels.

I remember when they came out in Toledo in '96. That look and that sound blew me away and gave me chills.

I said, 'this is a Championship show'. Right here. I felt the same way when I saw them come out West early season in '08.

The show just had that special quality. Now, I'm not going as far as to say 'Championship Show', but this show gave me 'the feels', for sure.

It's Regiment, baby. And that's all that matters.

• Like 2

Definitely positive direction for phantom. Not really what I was expecting out of a show called Phantasm but enjoyed the music. I know it's early but was hoping, as some others have mentioned,something a little more eerie/darker.

Honest thought...don't hate. Questioning how it's going to score with the judges? Looking at the past few years the medalists seem to have more layers, I guess would be the word? Maybe Depth? They seem to reward those crazy combinations of electronics and traditional and mashups of new music you wouldn't expect to work, look at BD and Bluecoats the last few years. Even look at the Cavies last year changing and adding the layers in Propaganda moving up four spots. Maybe more WGI-ish? Not really sure how to explain. It just seems they're not rewarding straight forward in terms of both drill and music.

46 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Honest thought...don't hate. Questioning how it's going to score with the judges? Looking at the past few years the medalists seem to have more layers, I guess would be the word? Maybe Depth? They seem to reward those crazy combinations of electronics and traditional and mashups of new music you wouldn't expect to work, look at BD and Bluecoats the last few years. Even look at the Cavies last year changing and adding the layers in Propaganda moving up four spots. Maybe more WGI-ish? Not really sure how to explain. It just seems they're not rewarding straight forward in terms of both drill and music.

Legit thoughts. I'm all-in on Cartwright and have to think that he knows what's going on.

However, when I watched some of the BA shows that were recommended in a previous post, I didn't see depth there either. Some great tunes that were haphazardly strung together with some sort of visual theme. I don't know the extent to which depth differs from BOA to DCI designs. 

1 hour ago, GREENBLUE said:

"Definitely positive direction for phantom...

..  changing and adding the layers ...moving up four spots..."

Listen to your own words.

Cartwright and Ferguson especially know what they are doing to win medals and titles, Carichner and Pitts aren't far behind.

Yes, there will be some re-writes. This is but their first exhibition of the season. Give them time. They are deliberately going West for a reason and it's not just so RV can make his annual trip home.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Listen to your own words.

Cartwright and Ferguson especially know what they are doing to win medals and titles, Carichner and Pitts aren't far behind.

Yes, there will be some re-writes. This is but their first exhibition of the season. Give them time. They are deliberately going West for a reason and it's not just so RV can make his annual trip home.

I understand that changes and layers will be made to the original, of course they will, but as a base product it may lack the depth im referring to. As kdaddy said in the post above, it some great music, played well that has a visual theme that ties everything together. 

When I was referring to Cavies and Propaganda moving from 9th to 5th I was comparing the Cavaliers staff approach from 2015 to 2016, not necassirily changes made during the course of the summer. For example I can give of what I'm referring to as the "new dci" would be Cavies closer last last year, Lollapalooza. Musically there was so much going on as well as the addition of commercial snippets layered on top. Visually there was drill/staging/props/acting. Guardwork was all over the place. BD seemed to be the trendsetters when they started this back in 2008 with constantly risking absurdity but really perfected it in 2013/14 with Voltaire and felliniesque. It's like little scenes within another scene. That's the depth I'm referring too. Not that one idea is right or wrong but just wondering in terms of judging. It seems the less traditional approach both visually and musically to dci is more rewarded these days by the judges. Both Bluecoats and BD have been mastering that concept and after listening to their shows it seems to remain for 2017. 

Again, I enjoyed Phantasm in the Park but comparing it to what I've heard coming from the BD/Bluecoats/Cavies recordings and their approach it'll be interesting to see how the judges approach Phantom. I'm still thinking the 7th-9th range would be within reason, keeping the top six the same but switching some spots.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1