Cadets Announce 2017 Program

Get out the Candy. Time to sell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yeah, but today with the Corps, its more like.. " Now please give us some money, and you'll know our 2017 show is ( whatever) "

to understand you correctly, here the word "corps" is plural, no?  My mailbox certainly thinks so.

4 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yeah, but today with the Corps, its more like.. " Now please give us some money, and you'll know our 2017 show is ( whatever) "

those GREEDY darn drum corps - always wanting gas to get down the road and food for their members to eat

a lot of nerve on their part!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

those GREEDY darn drum corps - always wanting gas to get down the road and food for their members to eat

a lot of nerve on their part!!

Corps have been fundraising since before any of us here were born. Nobody here is saying they don't need to fund raise, nor that they are " GREEDY " to do so. it is relatively new however to charge people to learn what the show theme will be. But I do realize that Corps do what they need to do in order to raise funds, and I do believe that how people spend ( or raise) their money for their Corps is essentially none of  my business,.. nor anyone elses on here for that matter.

Edited by BRASSO

12 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Corps have been fundraising since before any of us here were born. Nobody here is saying they don't need to fund raise, nor that they are " GREEDY " to do so. it is relatively new however to charge people to learn what the show theme will be. But I do realize that Corps do what they need to do in order to raise funds, and I do believe that how people spend ( or raise) their money for their Corps is essentially none of  my business,.. nor anyone elses on here for that matter.

Personally, I don't see a huge problem with it. However I am a cheapskate and wouldn't be spending money just to learn what they're show will be about.

So this is not really the announcement of their program; more so the announcement of the music they'll be using for their program am I correct?

17 hours ago, E3D said:

Get out the Candy. Time to sell.

Or stand at a street intersection with a traffic light, in full uniform, collecting money from the cars with your shako.

• Like 1

A couple of thoughts after hearing the confirmation of Cadets' music selections for this year:

1.) I'm very interested in seeing this show - love Bernstein's Mass, and can't wait to hear their take on it.  Looking forward to this one!

2.) Now that they presumably have secured the rights (which looks to have been a pretty difficult process, so kudos to the Cadets) - why wait to announce the theme?  I'm sure by now they know what the theme is, and they aren't waiting on rights anymore to release, which is a common reason given here on DCP for a delay in releasing show info.

3.) Speaking of Cadets' pending theme, why not just a theme of "Benstein's Mass" instead of "The Effect of Religion on the Socio-Economic Status of Third World Countries in the Post World War II Era" or "The Fight for Religious Freedom in Early 20th Century Communist Society, and How this Struggle Shaped Today's Global Political Landscape" or etc.  Not saying Cadets are guilty of this - more of a commentary on the activity as a whole.  Can a simple (non) theme like "Bernstein's Mass" be effective and competitive in today's DCI?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quad Aces said:

A couple of thoughts after hearing the confirmation of Cadets' music selections for this year:

1.) I'm very interested in seeing this show - love Bernstein's Mass, and can't wait to hear their take on it.  Looking forward to this one!

2.) Now that they presumably have secured the rights (which looks to have been a pretty difficult process, so kudos to the Cadets) - why wait to announce the theme?  I'm sure by now they know what the theme is, and they aren't waiting on rights anymore to release, which is a common reason given here on DCP for a delay in releasing show info.

3.) Speaking of Cadets' pending theme, why not just a theme of "Benstein's Mass" instead of "The Effect of Religion on the Socio-Economic Status of Third World Countries in the Post World War II Era" or "The Fight for Religious Freedom in Early 20th Century Communist Society, and How this Struggle Shaped Today's Global Political Landscape" or etc.  Not saying Cadets are guilty of this - more of a commentary on the activity as a whole.  Can a simple (non) theme like "Bernstein's Mass" be effective and competitive in today's DCI?

a la BD's Felliniesque? I agree with you.

35 minutes ago, yogitom said:

Or stand at a street intersection with a traffic light, in full uniform, collecting money from the cars with your shako.

Ah, yes, Tag Day - make a donation to your shako/can and receive a foldover lapel pin (tag) in appreciation...

Candy, hoagies/subs, candles, jewelry, bingo, spaghetti dinners - bastions of the drum corps fundraiser scene from a bygone era (with the exception of a couple of bingo enterprises)...