Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Bonnie Ott was our hero.   I didn't know her personally, but she was THE LEGEND of the "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor".   Truly incredible how she transcended the corps.  There have been some among her that have placed their face and name on the activity. She was definitely one of them - along with her brother Jim, for whom the brass trophy is appropriately named.

Pretty amazing to hear Jim Ott on critique!  Precious, just doggone precious!

If i could like this post 100 times, i swear i would.

• Like 3

When I was a young trumpet player I had the privilege of seeing the 1975 US Open at Marion Ohio.  I wasn't yet old enough to march but hearing the Madison Scouts from the 50 yard line affected me to this day.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

If i could like this post 100 times, i swear i would.

We had giants as brass instructors.  No offense to band directors, but these guys were LEGENDS:  Jim Ott, Jim Elvord, Al Fabrizio, John Simpson, Wayne Downey, Gail Royer, Robert Smith, Jim Prime, Jim Wren, etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

We had giants as brass instructors.  No offense to band directors, but these guys were LEGENDS:  Jim Ott, Jim Elvord, Al Fabrizio, John Simpson, Wayne Downey, Gail Royer, Robert Smith, Jim Prime, Jim Wren, etc.

Some big time names in that list. Wow!!!!!

A lot of this is similar to the reason Captain America: Civil War was the highest grossing movie of 2016 yet movies like Manchester by the Sea or Spotlight win the Oscars. 

Also: remember that a HUGE portion of a General Effect score is the level of performance - which is what often makes Blue Devils untouchable.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Yep my true colors are in a) entertaining those who fork out big bucks in tickets, then financially rewarding the corps who provide them with the most entertainment; and b) rewarding competitive merit based on high quality achievement, which is rewarded with adjudicated scoring and the ring.

For awhile there I forked over big bucks as a Platinum Member in Friends of DCI.  I was more than satisfied with the entertainment aspect and the criteria for judging even when my corps was not winning.  Those around me who were also platinum members were also very satisfied with the direction of the activity.  I guess that's why we supported DCI by shelling out a couple thousand dollars a year lol!  So a couple former judges, staff members, and fans are to me a small population that seem to be pushing this train of thought. I understand it and can see it's points but I guess we all have to agree to disagree.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

When I was a young trumpet player I had the privilege of seeing the 1975 US Open at Marion Ohio.  I wasn't yet old enough to march but hearing the Madison Scouts from the 50 yard line affected me to this day.  

Not to take this thread off into a different direction, but this I must share this as well.    Those Madison corps were incredible.   Here's a little bio on the soprano lead from the scouts that you reference:  

http://buglershalloffame.com/new_site/members/chris_metzger.html

The soloists from  Madison of this era were truly amazing.   I can't state a single favorite, although MacArthurs Park was off the charts.  

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Not to take this thread off into a different direction, but this I must share this as well.    Those Madison corps were incredible.   Here's a little bio on the soprano lead from the scouts that you reference:  

http://buglershalloffame.com/new_site/members/chris_metzger.html

The soloists from  Madison of this era were truly amazing.   I can't state a single favorite, although MacArthur's Park was off the charts.  

Chris Metzger was a beast.

I marched with The Cavaliers in the 1980s and I got to know the lead trumpet (soprano bugle) players in the other corps; we naturally gravitated to each other because, as good players we had a lot of respect for one another and we shared a sort of "mutual admiration society." 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I saw BD play "Legend" live in 1976 and 1978 before I was old enough to march.  It  profoundly affected me as a young trumpet player.  

That tape is amazing.  Do not forget that song was played with piston-rotor bugles.

Well, by '78 they had 2-v sopranos and baris.  Middle voices weren't legal until '79. 

• Like 2

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Well, by '78 they had 2-v sopranos and baris.  Middle voices weren't legal until '79. 

Exactly, Terri.  The tape was from '76 which was still all piston rotor.

• Like 1