TOC - Broken Arrow, OK - July 18

8 hours ago, JohnZ said:

several individuals suspended from the board for violating the Community Guidelines in this discussion thread.

fair warning for the next show discussion, or any thread for that matter.

Thank you, appreciate that very much.

• Like 2

SCV has to be feeling pretty good from that recap. #1 in drums & visual proficiency. #1 in content for ge music & guard. #2 in content for vis analysis, music analysis, brass. If they can get the performance scores up to the content scores, they will have a very strong caption picture late season.

2 hours ago, GlenI said:

I remember seeing Crown's Inferno at the beginning of the season. I thought "very nice but it's way flat and not too exciting." They spent the rest of the season layering colors and adding drama and it ended up being one of my all time favorite shows. I'm not saying that this year's MASS will rival that. But The Cadets have a fair amount of subtle tweaks and visual additions yet to add along with to the time clean everything. I'm expecting a much more emotional product by final time. I think they will hang tough and place better than one might think from what we see now. 

It's funny you make the connection between Inferno and The Cadets.     I was thinking the same thing, but only with SCV in mind. If SCV can continue to layer their show this year...   oh, my!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JohnZ said:

several individuals suspended from the board for violating the Community Guidelines in this discussion thread.

fair warning for the next show discussion, or any thread for that matter.

Can we know whom?   I think public approbation this year would be apropos

173222270.jpg?366

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Funny, I was tjink

Funny, I was thinking about Inferno this morning, and how that show slowly and steadily evolved into a monster. The difference is that it had an emotional story line that fans could understand and relate to, and their few prop ideas completely delivered their concepts. I could see this year's show getting closer to Inferno, but I don't think Mass is a subject matter that most people can relate to. Or want to relate to.

It's fascinating you say that, since, at the broadest level, they're the same storyline in both shows--faith, then descent from that faith, then forgiveness and a return.

Crown spent less time on the initial faith bit, most of the show on the descent. But there's certainly similarity in idea between the end of Cadets this year and emerging under a starry sky on Easter morning.

In that respect, I think that it's less that people can't relate to the story Cadets are telling, and more that they don't want to. Which I can't really blame them for. Relating to that's...pretty darned confrontational. Maybe not possible to do in 11 minutes (it's pretty difficult to do in two hours).

But I still rather admire them for trying.

• Like 2

Regarding Crown Percussion...

Ausdemore judged them Monday in Bentonville giving 85 in Content and 83 in Achievement. 16.8 Total

Ausdemore judged them Tuesday in Broken Arrow giving 88 in Content and 86 in Achievement. 17.4 Total

A 0.6 jump in 1 day...by the same judge. Hmmmm. :35_thinking:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Ausdemore judged them Monday in Bentonville giving 85 in Content and 83 in Achievement. 16.8 Total

Ausdemore judged them Tuesday in Broken Arrow giving 88 in Content and 86 in Achievement. 17.4 Total

It was perhaps s matter of "i gave  corps x a score of y and Crown is .6 better than that."  The randomized order of appearance at the TOC shows probably messses up the usual numbers management judges do to some degree.  Hence why the raw numbers can seem wonky at these shows but the ordinals and intervals will feel right.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

With different corps and different numbers management.  Can't compare shows day to day.  Just can't.  I don't believe that Ausdemore had a personal agenda. 

25 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

It was perhaps s matter of "i gave  corps x a score of y and Crown is .6 better than that."  The randomized order of appearance at the TOC shows probably messses up the usual numbers management judges do to some degree.  Hence why the raw numbers can seem wonky at these shows but the ordinals and intervals will feel right.  

Yes, the order did play a part,

Here's how all the same judges scored day to day...

• Howell GE 1: 16.9 to 17.4 (Rep up 3, Perf up 2)
  • McGarr Brass: 17.0 to 17.5 (Cont up 2, Achv up 3)
  • Carbone MA: 17.1 to 17.7 (Cont up 3, Achv up 2)
  • Ausdemore Perc: 16.8 to 17.4 (Cont up 3, Achv up 3)
  • Nguyen VP: 16.9 to 16.8 (Cont same, Achv down 1)
  • Solomon CG: 16.3 to 16.7 (Sbst up 1, Achv up 3)

Same Music panel for both shows, went from 25.45 to 26.3 (0.85 points).  

Perf & Achv is understandable to have those kinds of jump, but it will be interesting to see what the Rep & Cont numbers are when they aren't on hours after BD/SCV/Bloo

2 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Yes, the order did play a part,

Here's how all the same judges scored day to day...

• Howell GE 1: 16.9 to 17.4 (Rep up 3, Perf up 2)
  • McGarr Brass: 17.0 to 17.5 (Cont up 2, Achv up 3)
  • Carbone MA: 17.1 to 17.7 (Cont up 3, Achv up 2)
  • Ausdemore Perc: 16.8 to 17.4 (Cont up 3, Achv up 3)
  • Nguyen VP: 16.9 to 16.8 (Cont same, Achv down 1)
  • Solomon CG: 16.3 to 16.7 (Sbst up 1, Achv up 3)

Same Music panel for both shows, went from 25.45 to 26.3 (0.85 points).  

Perf & Achv is understandable to have those kinds of jump, but it will be interesting to see what the Rep & Cont numbers are when they aren't on hours after BD/SCV/Bloo

You'll literally never know because it will be a different group of judges, judging different groups, on a different day at a different performance. 

Edited by Kevin.