Which Corps will be the recipient of the Ott ?

15 minutes ago, Bobby L. Collins said:

I'm every bit as qualified as you are, bub.  You see, I understand human nature.  And the last time I checked, there's not a single DCI judge who isn't a human being.

And your entire premise is a wash.  DCI corps directors DO set the standards for adjudication.  That's not only irrefutable fact.....it's common knowledge.

Keep telling yourself that, "bub". We'll just continue to enjoy your posts. :laughing:

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Wrong.  Dead wrong.

My entire premise is that the judges are at the complete mercy of the corps directors who dictate to them how to adjudicate.  And right now, they're being instructed to judge hornlines upon the merits of their the audio equipment rather than upon the merits of the warm bodies holding the horns.  Now quit being a pedantic contrarian simply because you don't like me rocking the boat, and open your eyes, ears, and mind to rational thought.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

On 8/23/2017 at 0:15 PM, Bobby L. Collins said:

Wrong.  Dead wrong.

My entire premise is that the judges are at the complete mercy of the corps directors who dictate to them how to adjudicate.  And right now, they're being instructed to judge hornlines upon the merits of their the audio equipment rather than upon the merits of the warm bodies holding the horns.  Now quit being a pedantic contrarian simply because you don't like me rocking the boat, and open your eyes, ears, and mind to rational thought.

Relax a bit, Bobby.

The truth is, a majority of DCI Corps directors are very "hands off" about rules and assessment policy.  The norm is more like that of a pro sports owner or college president: they do the administrative things like governance of the institution and fund-raising, while their hired operatives deal in the weeds of competitive topics.  If you think of Jerry Jones/NFL or Mark Cuban/NBA - they're outliers, just like your esteemed Mr. Hopkins or Mr. Gibbs.

In fact, DCI Music Judges are often reminded that the number of performers contributing to an achievement is a foundational scoring principle.  40 BD trumpets in a virtuosic feature is "worth more points" than one performer singing, or pushing an electronic trigger for a vocal solo.

You know, one of the things that I most admire about Mr. Peter Michael (Pete) Hodges is that, even though he is a trumpet player, he always is as tactful as possible, and puts those with whom he communicates first, by practicing a strong sense of empathy.  One of the things that make him a great teacher and person!  He certainly did that for you, right?

A trumpet player with empathy???  Talk about a unicorn!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sideways said:

A trumpet player with empathy???  Talk about a unicorn!!!

Yeah, WTF with that? :unsure:

• Like 1

A drum corps doing incredibly difficult music at a high level?  Isn't that what drum corps is all about instead of playing it safe and just trying to get the trophy by intonation alone?

1 hour ago, flammaster said:

A drum corps doing incredibly difficult music at a high level?  Isn't that what drum corps is all about instead of playing it safe and just trying to get the trophy by intonation alone?

Well, you still have the CG to get a section award most years recently.

10 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Hey Ghost, Why hasn't your profile picture been changed to a G like others including me have been changed today?  Did Chris Holland pay an extra fee for you or were only certain of us hacked or discriminated against??  It's witchcraft I say.

22 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Funny how they always seem to WIN finals night don't they?

58 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Hey Ghost, Why hasn't your profile picture been changed to a G like others including me have been changed today?  Did Chris Holland pay an extra fee for you or were only certain of us hacked or discriminated against??  It's witchcraft I say.

I'm hoping to be the "Last Man Standing" with a picture of the month still showing.  (On a side note, I wasn't aware others had their chosen picture removed without their approval.  I just thought another option was available.)