Cadets Announce 2018 Program

20 minutes ago, Liahona said:

This is the silliest argument over vocals I've ever heard...you can't blame The Cadets for every single thing you dislike in this activity...regardless of whether their former director was a known cheerleader for vocals and regardless of how repugnant, repulsive and nauseating et alii he is to the world...this is a time for healing...it is NOT the time to blame the previously contracted singers...it just isn't...

No one is blaming the singers. Gimme a break

• Like 1

Are you claiming GH was not the original and loudest advocate for vocals?  I think there's pretty broad consensus that he was. So the earlier comment about this being an opportunity to break from vocals is understandable. Not saying I agree with it, but I understand it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Are you claiming GH was not the original and loudest advocate for vocals?  I think there's pretty broad consensus that he was. So the earlier comment about this being an opportunity to break from vocals is understandable. Not saying I agree with it, but I understand it. 

Vocals are so common now that breaking with them would call more attention to GH, not less.  Especially if it involves cutting members who did nothing wrong.  

Which do people still remember more, a vocal amen or a sign saying there won't be one?

Singing in Drum Corps ( both DCA and DCI ) has been incorporated into Corps shows  to some extent or other for decades now. Long before Concert French horns, Trombones and the like have been utilized as a matter of fact.  Since singing in Drum Corps been approved and with us for decades now, I'd imagine the ones that are ok with singing when utilized appropriately, will continue to do so, and the ones that don't like singing in Drum Corps no matter what, won't ever like it. But thats no different than any other changes, ie amplification, narration. spandex uniforms, conventional MB instrument utilizations , big props, and all the rest of the changes. You either like it, or you don't. Same as it ever was. Changes in Drum Corps were rapidly taking place well before George Hopkins even arrived on the scene. Changes will occur long after he's gone too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I really don’t mind singing and I thought that some of it was well done.  There was only one instance where I didn’t like it at all last season.  

Yeah, I think narration is more annoying than singing.

Edited by sched88
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"AAAAAAAAAAMEN!"

"It's a small world after all..."

Anybody remember these? ... Probably not.

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 2

I am so, so, happy for Cadets’ MMs that such respected and talented people are onboard and working hard to give them a great season. There is no shortage of challenges, but they are under capable leadership. 

Regardless of anything, this is likely to be a very memorable edition of The Cadets. Previously alienated alumni and benefactors will be returning. Audiences are going to give them the warmest of welcomes, and these young adults are going to remind us why we love this activity.  Let’s get ready for a new era. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, skevinp said:

Vocals are so common now that breaking with them would call more attention to GH, not less.  Especially if it involves cutting members who did nothing wrong.  

Which do people still remember more, a vocal amen or a sign saying there won't be one?

GH wasn't the director then. I'll have to check the year, but I don't think he even was the third string percussion tech back then.