2018 Predictions

1 minute ago, Jim Schehr said:

If you’re a jazz music person it feels like you’re sitting in a jazz club. 

it's quite nice - a very mature book IMO

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tyy1117 said:

Unless Crown looks dirty, we can’t count them out

I’m no fan of their music arrangements this season, and I don’t believe it will be a given they win brass either. But yes you can’t count four or five corps out for sure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tyy1117 said:

I’ve heard BD Crown And a couple other ones, but surely Crown has a range of 1-5 or so, they could win. I know based off of sound it will seem that way because they will win brass, but still. Unless Crown looks dirty, we can’t count them out

Agreed.  I have listened but not seen BD, Crown, and Boston shows and based on the audio I think Crown is top 3.  I also believe SCV and or Bloo will be just as strong.  I have been told that Crowns visual package is a literal "beast" (no pun intended) and the guard/percussion are 16 times better than last year, which leads me to believe they will land in the 1-3 spot.  

Next Thursday we will see if any of these predictions mean anything.

Edited by B-Flat

Here's my opinion for finals results based off of staff changes and trends from the past few years:

1) Santa Clara Vanguard: Still a great corps like last year, probably even better with the addition of a visual god on their staff, plus they will be hungry after last year.

2) Blue Devils: There's little doubt that they will drop from the top 2 for the first time in a decade. I thought they might last year after 2 seasons in a row below 98, but then Metamorph happened. Plus they've got all the same staff from last year, so they will be a fierce competitor.

3) Carolina Crown: Front runners to win best brass, and serious contender overall now that their percussion situation is better. If they can bring their guard and GE up they could be a gold medalist. However, I feel more confident in SCV this season.

4) Cavaliers: They are out of a 5 year slump, and with the addition of Kevin LaBoeuf in brass, their music will be very good this year. While I don't think it will be good enough to medal, definitely still a possibility.

5) Boston Crusaders: After having a season to acclimate to their new staff, they should be at least as good as last year, if not better. I've seen predictions for them anywhere between 2-9 for finals, but I'm confident in their consistency.

6) Bluecoats: They are the biggest wildcard of the season, I think. That's not just because of the secrecy surrounding their show every year. While they have a very strong visual tech, there's no way of telling if they will rebound (like Crown '13-'15, 1-5-2) or if they've hit a wall. I think they could be anywhere between 3-6, but based on the other corps and how they could perform, 6 is where I place Bloo.

We'll see how early in the season my predictions fall off the cliff :thumbs-up:

20 minutes ago, Tyy1117 said:

I’ve heard BD Crown And a couple other ones, but surely Crown has a range of 1-5 or so, they could win. I know based off of sound it will seem that way because they will win brass, but still. Unless Crown looks dirty, we can’t count them out

Have you guys seen the Crown uniform.......I saw a pic and um.......interesting.

Just now, cadet93 said:

Have you guys seen the Crown uniform.......I saw a pic and um.......interesting.

#LizardBugBand will look fine on the field.  Their actual reveal video shows a lot better how they fit together.  I bet it'll actually turn out looking like an awesome army of Lizard Bug things as they do their visual.  I can imagine the guard doing things like BAC did with Animal Farm and creeping us all out.  The drum finishes actually look good with the uniform behind them too.

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

#LizardBugBand will look fine on the field.  Their actual reveal video shows a lot better how they fit together.  I bet it'll actually turn out looking like an awesome army of Lizard Bug things as they do their visual.  I can imagine the guard doing things like BAC did with Animal Farm and creeping us all out.  The drum finishes actually look good with the uniform behind them too.

I guess I feel its more reptile than beast....not getting the tie in there.

1 minute ago, cadet93 said:

I guess I feel its more reptile than beast....not getting the tie in there.

maybe there's a "lead beast" in the show not in that costume ... ? That's my guess, the electronics refer to beast sounds and growls.. 

Naming the show "Lizard bug thing" would be sort of awkward I guess.  Not all beasts are mammalian?

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

maybe there's a "lead beast" in the show not in that costume ... ? That's my guess, the electronics refer to beast sounds and growls.. 

Oh this could be so.   The story of local insects fighting back against a huge horrible beast (that turns out to be a cuddly raccoon?) 

[This is sarcastic speculation of course...]

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Haha 1