Quick Allentown Saturday Review

I was there, also (Sat. only), so I will add my opinions.

First, I was disappointed to see that the best seats in the house still are not open to the public. I assume this is because of the poor condition of the upper bleachers making them unsafe. When are the Allentown stadium officials going to realize this seriously compromises the viewing experience from this stadium (this is from someone with 15 yard line side B 10th row seats "best seats available" purchased several weeks prior).

Taking into account this less than optimal seat, here is what I observed:

I will get the controversial out of the way first...Cadets. I agree that the

narration is distracting to some mighty fine playing and marching. What they are

doing reminds me of a high school musical (and not a very good one). It is just

way too literal for my tastes. The beauty of drum corps, in my opinion, has always been the

power of the music accented by the drill moves. I agree with others

that the lines delivered are nauseatingly trite and only serve to denigrate the

music rather than elevate it. They won with 85+. I had them second to Phantom

(83+) who painted a beautiful tone poem and kept their mouths shut! Their theme

is about birds and the music is wonderfully evocative. You actually feel as

though you are flying in their opener! Their performance is capped off by Stravinsky's

"Firebird". You have to see the energy of their drum line to believe it! This

piece literally soars to the top of the mountain, and, no, they didn't need to

say anything since the musical performance said it all. Wow!! The most literal

part of their show was some of their guard costumed in a bird-like motif (which

probably wasn't necessary). The overall corps appearance in white with black and

silver accents is stunning. This corps once again has their rich and powerful

trademark sound. It is hard to believe that they are currently ranked fifth

(BD, Cavs, Cadets, Bluecoats all scored higher over the two days of

competition).

Carolina Crown is excellent, particularly the horn line. Their theme is called "Triple Crown" and introduces music

which refers to horses and the racing subculture. The show is a lot of fun and

is filled with drill moves which are very "horse-like" right down to their very

randy guard wearing long flaxen tail-like hair pieces.

I had the opportunity to watch them rehearse that afternoon and I have got to

tell you, they are much more serious about this drum corps business than I ever

dreamed of being. 76 horns that surround you with drum corps dynamite! Fourth

tonight.

Santa Clara is back! I feel that this is a championship caliber corps. I

love their classical selections even though I recognized none of their music.

That is how well they played it and how suited the selections were for drum

corps. However, for some reason, their performance tonight just didn't quite reach me,

but this may have had something to do with my 15 yard line side B 10th row

seats. Even from that angle their drill seems to flow very nicely. Third

tonight.

Boston Crusaders (fifth) have an interesting, if somewhat weird, show based on

the life of Pablo Picasso (I always wondered what his art sounded like B) ). They

are into props in a major way. Last year it was arches and this year it is

easels, but of course! A solid performance, but rather "Cadet-like" with the

music almost seeming secondary.

Madison Scouts. It was sad for me to witness their show since I have been a big Madison fan for many years. I think it is an

understatement to call this an off year. They have so many issues. Oh and the

music, it was pretty lack luster, also. The unis of the corps proper were some

tasteless "Bando" creation. I thought last year's unis were fine (and new). Some

weird decision-making going on in Madison.

Just an observation on George Hopkins. I noticed him nervously pacing the sidelines during Cadets' performance, he was the first to applaud and the last to stop clapping. I think you have to admire the man's dedication to his corps and the strength of his beliefs even if you don't agree with them (and I don't).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe me, as with the last past two years, Phantom Regiment has a few tricks up their sleeves. It is still early as this show will be in the thick of the competition come August!!!

Again...no big secret the Cadets have not even put on the tag to their show. So if you want to use the phrase "a few tricks up their sleeves"; feel free to do so. History speaks for itself and the Cadets middle name is August.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Please, Take me now!

RM - anyone other than Cadets, BD, or Cavies, PLEASE!

LOL...that's funny!!

But realistically be prepared to be taken because anyone of the three you mentioned can win in Pasedena (and I think you know that).

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Bucs did just fine right where they were, played to an appreciative crowd, unlike the past where cabs alumni were

welcomed by a DCI crowd that was quick out the door following the contest ( they were on after )

Hey Tom Moore - how about replacing the red flags in Rhapsody with a blue one featuring the Buc Brand and a 50

I'll bet you can line up folks ( myself being one ) to prepurchase with delivery after the season :)

While I'm not on the design team or the color guard staff, I think I can safely say that the red flags at Rhapsody are temporary. I think you'll see some blue in there. As for the logo and the '50,' I have no clue. I'd doubt it though. There's no other direct reference to the 50th in the show -- the show itself celebrates 50 by doing what we do best, better than we've ever done it. At least that's the intent.

Thanks for the compliment about the performance. We were pleased with it!

Just an observation on George Hopkins. I noticed him nervously pacing the sidelines during Cadets' performance, he was the first to applaud and the last to stop clapping. I think you have to admire the man's dedication to his corps and the strength of his beliefs even if you don't agree with them (and I don't).

You know; I've been around the Cadets and George. I can't say I know George at a personal level but I do know he absolutely loves all those kids who march as Cadets [current and past]. I have nothing but high respect for that man who takes so much flak from so many who don't know him 'at all'.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

You know; I've been around the Cadets and George. I can't say I know George at a personal level but I do know he absolutely loves all those kids who march as Cadets [current and past]. I have nothing but high respect for that man who takes so much flak from so many who don't know him 'at all'.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Rather -

I am new to this drum corps thing -- but from my reading here on the forum and from my experience in other areas of the art world this Mr. Hopkins fellow sounds like a most remarkable creative director -- he sounds to me rather like a typical director of a successful dance company -- dedicated, clear vision, innovative - ect - I guess being a lightening rod for criticism goes with the territory --

With this narration thing though I agree with others -- detracts from the music and visual -- the text being read is too cliche -- the narrators sound annoyingly adenoidal -- I'm not really interested in hearing someone's pompous pontification on their personal pet peeves <**>

SnPt

Arts Booster

A solid performance, but rather "Cadet-like" with the

music almost seeming secondary.

I am still amazed that anyone thinks this (about The Cadets) this year.

Narration in the Cadets show is no secret at this point. You are given plenty of time between each corps should you choose not to watch. The correct time to leave a performance is before they begin.

And yet critics of the show are constantly told that the narration is being trimmed down, and that they should give the show a second chance. ###### if they do, ###### if they don't....

I heard amps live for the first time last year in Madison and was surprised that I liked them on the pit. They allow the players to play the instruments in the dynamic range for which they are designed...not pound the crap out of them to be heard. I even tolerated the vocalist in the Cadets show and liked the 'vocal drumming' that I heard in the movie theater the year before. I had not seen junior corps for a number of years before that.

Last night I did not walk out on the Cadets, but I did wish they would SHUT UP and let the show play. I agree...the intro was fine, but most of the rest was just stupid.

The comments about the sound engineer are right on....trying to fill a stadium with the speakers and amps they are using is silly. Boost the pit - fine, but not talk over 64 horns and 30 drums! In a similar vein, the sound system at that stadium is totally inadequate! But that is a different issue from the corps.

:unsure: What on earth has happen to good unadulterated Drum And Bugle Corps,

Amplifiers- Narration- Singing-Dancing>>>>What ever happened to Precision Marching- and -Lung Power

Woe-Woe-Woe Not every thing new is necessarilly good .... The young people in the Cadets have great Musical

ability leave the talking to the Idiots who thought that this was DRUM CORPS!

Cymballs-35 yrs -Drum Corps Experience.

:unsure: What on earth has happen to good unadulterated Drum And Bugle Corps,

Amplifiers- Narration- Singing-Dancing>>>>What ever happened to Precision Marching- and -Lung Power

Woe-Woe-Woe Not every thing new is necessarilly good .... The young people in the Cadets have great Musical

ability leave the talking to the Idiots who thought that this was DRUM CORPS!

Cymballs-35 yrs -Drum Corps Experience.

Nothing has happened to "good unadulterated Drum And Bugle Corps" other than it has gotten better and better...and yes, it now includes elements that it did not include before...most especially amps...just as it often has added new things, even pre-DCI.