Quick Allentown Saturday Review

My feeling on narration or any of the "so called" evolution of drum corps is quite simple, if you didn't do whatever, (narration, amps, etc) would I say to myself, "self, they need to (insert narration, amps, etc)?" If not, then don't do it. Why not start without all the crap, see how the show goes and add only what is necessary to actually sell the show?

RM - SUAP!

ampssuck

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ONE MORE THING - How long has the Cadets staff been checking the facial hair of the hornline members before performances?? I've never seen that done at Cadets, and it just boggled my mind at how DEAD SERIOUS the staff member was, while he was inspecting every single male horn player's face for the slightest amount of stubble. :rolleyes:

actually, that would be one of the drum majors, and he was checking facial hair, shoes, buckle, horn, drum, gloves, etc.

I love you, too, Fran.. and you know what a firecracker I can be.. I haven't been able to tune them out yet.

I know the attitudes like his will fade but my experience with it so far has been too frequent to ignore or look past. I won't say DCA is out of my life forever.. just as DCI wasn't out of yours.. but if it's been 7 years, has that statement from DCI been so prevalent since it was pointed out? In my experience, I don't notice it and haven't since 2000 when it first became a battle cry -- and I marched seniors, too!

I assure you I am not that short-sighted.. my statement probably should have read "until that attitude becomes the exception I see/hear/read, DCA will not see me or my wallet."

I gotta be me! :)

Stef

Fran Fan

Yes you do gotta be you!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I haven't heard the old "junior corps is the only option" mantra for the past couple of years, thankfully.... and I give DCI a lot of credit for that. But for years, it was a staple on the DCI broadcasts.

Anymore, when I hear someone launching into the "those blankety-blank junior corps"....LOL..... I go into "tuneout mode."

But the best is when someone who doesn't know me starts telling me about "that blankety-blank YEA and Hopkins.... they're killing drum corps" or some such thing..... then I tell 'em I've been doing some announcing work for YEA since about 1990 or so, and that I've never had a problem with the people I deal with at YEA. Stops the conversation cold!!!!!!! :P

Fran

Stef Fan

Sounds like you want to like the Cadets but can't seem to get around your narration problem (you are not alone). I wish I could help you but it seems like the only way to see the final product is to see it to the end. You would have had narration out completely if it were your decision; fortunately the Cadet staff see differently.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

Ya know.... this isn't a bad post, EXCEPT for the addition of "your" narration problem. You can't fault someone for NOT liking something that you obviously do (or at least don't have a problem with it). It is a sea change in the idiom that is drum corps. Sorry, but some people will not like it. However, I would suggest for most folks it's not a black and white issue. For instance:

I can tell you that I am not a fan of ANY vocals in shows, whether they are singing, talking, or all out narration. HOWEVER, I can admit that I have grown to love the 05 Cadets show, including the Bjork bits and the drumspeak. I also didn't mind what BD did last year, nor do I have a problem with Bluecoats use of vocals this year. I don't even think that Pacific Crest was over the top, I thought that it fit the show concept nicely and actually added to the Vegas atmosphere. However, the vocals in the Cadets show this year are VERY cringe-worthy (IMO). Not even all of them. I really didn't mind the intro "I believe in (whatever)" parts. Some of the other parts were ok as well. But statements like "my favorite part of practice is the basics block" are just juvenille. Really, who in any drum corps has BASICS as their favorite! :)

Seriously though, while I didn't simply hate everything that came through the speakers on Saturday, there were sooooo many parts that just dripped with bando silliness. (Again, IMO)

"I hate basics. I just want to play my trumpet"

Pretty much the entire "emo kid" bit in the closer, about not fitting in and finding personal salvation through music.

"We are all athletes of god" (I know it's a Martha Graham quote... doesn't mean that I like to hear it on the drum corps stage)

Anyway, I can't put a coherent thought together right now.... except for this....

Don't try to denigrate others because they have a differing opinion than yours. To suggest that someone has a "problem" because they are not a fan of the single biggest change in our activity is short-sighted at best.

actually, that would be one of the drum majors, and he was checking facial hair, shoes, buckle, horn, drum, gloves, etc.

since when do drum majors wear shorts, t-shirts and backpacks when the rest of the hornline is in uniform and about to march to warmups?

:worthy:

Like I said, it was a staff member.

Don't try to denigrate others because they have a differing opinion than yours. To suggest that someone has a "problem" because they are not a fan of the single biggest change in our activity is short-sighted at best.

Amps are hardly the "single biggest change in our activity", not even close.

Look at a drill in 1970 and one in 1980...visual design changes throughout the 70's were FAR larger changes to what the audience sees than miccing someone speaking or singing.

Replacing the tick system is another that greatly improved the way music is arranged for drum corps, brass and percussion.

Adding the pit is a much larger change to percussion and music in general than merely miccing a vocalist or pit instrument.

The first time a valve was added to a straight bugle is a larger change that amps...

When the available range for horns was changed....that permitted a much fuller sound as instruments like contras were added.

Color guards....again look at 1970 and even 1975 at the huge difference in that portion of the corps.

Alas, we did not. That would've been a major thrill for me personally, as I was on the field that year. Would've been great to share Variations in B and Adagio for Strings with the crowd!

Thanks for the kind words, Mike.

Gee, I think I meant 06. :P

You're welcome...and keep on doing what you are doing...you are the "1970's Sunrisers of the 2000's". :P

Amps are hardly the "single biggest change in our activity", not even close.

Look at a drill in 1970 and one in 1980...visual design changes throughout the 70's were FAR larger changes to what the audience sees than miccing someone speaking or singing.

Replacing the tick system is another that greatly improved the way music is arranged for drum corps, brass and percussion.

Adding the pit is a much larger change to percussion and music in general than merely miccing a vocalist or pit instrument.

The first time a valve was added to a straight bugle is a larger change that amps...

When the available range for horns was changed....that permitted a much fuller sound as instruments like contras were added.

Color guards....again look at 1970 and even 1975 at the huge difference in that portion of the corps.

Why am I not surprised that you would disagree Mike? :)

We will just have to agree to disagree then. Perhaps I should have said that it was the single biggest change in our activity in my opinion.

As far as I am concerned (dead horse, dead horse, please report to the Allentown review thread) the amps are the largest change we have had, and I have been a fan since 84. I have also "done my homework" and am familiar with shows back to the start of DCI. And, as those on my side like to say, every one of the things that you bring up were tweaks to something that ALREADY EXISTED in the activity, whereas amplified voice did NOT (nor did electricity, for that matter)

But, like I said, we will have to agree to disagree. Which is what makes this place great.

Well Ed Boxer. No need to feel embarrassed for Xtreme. What we presented was an out-of-the-ordinary presentation of the Star Spangled Banner using herald horns and rope drums. We recognized the limitation of the instrument, especially since the bell is 4' away from the player, and it's limited projection arc. It was different. It was a centered & localized sound. If that offended anyone to the point that one felt compelled to 'feel sorry', don't sweat it. Many fans, instructors, staff, writers, Hall of Famers, etc. who saw and HEARD both nights appreciated what was done.

If you were on the 45 for the SSB I'm surprised that the ensemble sound didn't work for you inasmuch as others in your location had contrary opinions.

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Jimbalaya

Allentown Night one – short review

A few words of intro.

1. I was seated on the 45, but not seated high enough to get a good view of drill so I won’t make any drill comments.

2. Its still early in the season so there were lots of phasing problems and many instances of single players sticking out.

3. My comments will be basically on overall show design and any elements that IMHO deserve attention/praise. Etc.

Crossmen Extreme played the national anthem. Sorry to be harsh here, but the quality was not much better than your average high school band. In fact, I felt embarrassed for them.

As far as I am concerned (dead horse, dead horse, please report to the Allentown review thread) the amps are the largest change we have had, and I have been a fan since 84. I have also "done my homework" and am familiar with shows back to the start of DCI. And, as those on my side like to say, every one of the things that you bring up were tweaks to something that ALREADY EXISTED in the activity, whereas amplified voice did NOT (nor did electricity, for that matter)

An amp is not a new instrument...it just amplifies something already legal, so IMO it too is just a "tweak", even more so than the things I mentioned.

But, like I said, we will have to agree to disagree. Which is what makes this place great.

That is true! :P