Quick Allentown Saturday Review

Actually since DCI is turring into marching band ... why not do what all the HS band shows Ive been to do ... put the exhibition group on after the last competing group goes on so theres some entertianment while scores are being calculated and such, that way your entertained while your waiting.

umm.. maybe you didn't know this but tabulation is done by computer now and is nearly instant.. certainly not enough of a delay between last corps and show announcements to put another corps or exhibition on the field.

as for your band comments *SNORE* I've seen better slams in a 6th grade hockey game.

Grow up.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCI made the Buccaneers go on FIRST?!

Come on, DCI. Get your act together.

Dan

It's DCI's show. They set the order of appearance.... period. They very well could have not bothered inviting an all-age corps to perform..... but to their credit, they extended the invitation to the Buccaneers, for the second year in a row.

Hey..... I'm a DCA guy, and I had no problem whatsoever with the Bucs opening the show. The Buccaneers looked very good, IMO...... in fact, I heard some audience members commenting on how impressed they were with the Bucs, considering the fact that this is a corps that basically rehearses twice a week.

Hats off to the Buccaneers for again being an outstanding representative of DCA and the all-age segment of the activity.

Fran

The Cadets know that some of the elements they use won't be embraced by all, so it stands to reason that they won't be embraced by all reviewers. That opens up some great discussion, which is what a forum is for. This is a place for facts and opinions. Go ahead and join the discussion, but accusing the author of trying to speak for everyone when he clearly didn't attempt to adds little.

I said this last night when i got back from the show, but ill say it again. I dont care if you hate the show, if it offends you, if you want to take a pee or hotdog break, leave before...But don't leave during the show. I really dont need to hear your whining as you make everyone around you get up so you can walk by and complain about how the show is not drum corps and you want to #### on george hopkin's face (these are actual comments...all from one man). If you hate narration that much, leave before it starts. Anybody that leaves in the middle of a show is not only rude - but is self serving and just wants to make a point of disrespecting the corps on the field. Basically, people are do this are just trying to make a scene to prove their point, but there are much better and more respectful ways to do this.

- Not addressed at anyone on here specifically, unless you happened to be the guy that did this...

Saw Lots of "I"s and a "My" and a reference to acts the author saw other people do ("people left"). Nowhere did I see the author attempt to speak for someone else. He did say "People hated the show", but like it or not this is a true statement. Certainly not all people, and it is impossible to say how many, but a simple perusal of the opinions shared here that there is a large enough group of people that hate it to make the statement true (and that people left during the show). You disagree with his opinion. Cool. You're absolutely allowed to, and it doesn't make you a "Cadets Borg" or anything like that. It makes you a person with a different opinion of this show, but given the polarizing effect Hopkins has had on the fan base of DCI for the past few years, if you lash out at everyone who doesn't care for an element of a Cadets show you'll be too distracted by that to actually enjoy the season.

The Cadets know that some of the elements they use won't be embraced by all, so it stands to reason that they won't be embraced by all reviewers. That opens up some great discussion, which is what a forum is for. This is a place for facts and opinions. Go ahead and join the discussion, but accusing the author of trying to speak for everyone when he clearly didn't attempt to adds little.

His description of the crowd made it seem like everyone hated the show.

I said this last night when i got back from the show, but ill say it again. I dont care if you hate the show, if it offends you, if you want to take a pee or hotdog break, leave before...But don't leave during the show. I really dont need to hear your whining as you make everyone around you get up so you can walk by and complain about how the show is not drum corps and you want to #### on george hopkin's face (these are actual comments...all from one man). If you hate narration that much, leave before it starts. Anybody that leaves in the middle of a show is not only rude - but is self serving and just wants to make a point of disrespecting the corps on the field. Basically, people are do this are just trying to make a scene to prove their point, but there are much better and more respectful ways to do this.

- Not addressed at anyone on here specifically, unless you happened to be the guy that did this...

Wasn't me, and for the record, when I saw the Cadets I was in awe of their hornline, which is really why I feel as strongly as I do about the narration. It isn't close to comparing to the level of skill and execution exhibited by that brass section.

His description of the crowd made it seem like everyone hated the show.

Didn't see the word "everyone" or a reference that is easily construed to be such. His only plural is "people", and is easily defendable. You disagree with him, which is still cool, but he never implied to speak for everyone. Don't attack his position. Discuss yours.

My thoughts: I felt that the lack of dynamic contrast used to describe Crown would be more applicable to Cadets. After seeing them in both Lawrence and Allentown, Cadets seem to have two volumes: blast and talking. But when they blast it is AWESOME!! They have so many 'WOW' moments that its really pushing them ahead of the rest of the field. On top of that they are really clean and their closer is blisteringly fast.

My personal opinion is that Phantom has the vehicle to overtake them come August. The design and demand factors in Phantom's show triumph over those of the Cadets' show, but their execution is lacking and that's what's really hurting them. Having seen PR 3 times, they spend more time jazz running then I ever seen anyone do, and there are times when they are playing masterfully at the same time. I can't imagine how HARD it is to perform this show, but I think that as the Phantom kids continue to improve their endurance and continue to clean the show, they should overtake Cadets.

My personal opinion is that Phantom has the vehicle to overtake them come August. The design and demand factors in Phantom's show triumph over those of the Cadets' show, but their execution is lacking and that's what's really hurting them. Having seen PR 3 times, they spend more time jazz running then I ever seen anyone do, and there are times when they are playing masterfully at the same time. I can't imagine how HARD it is to perform this show, but I think that as the Phantom kids continue to improve their endurance and continue to clean the show, they should overtake Cadets.

I disagree. In fact, I think Phantom has to worry more about falling behind Crown, SCV, and Bluecoats. I think this show stands a much better chance of finishing 6th or 7th than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

That being said, I do not feel one bit sorry for the members of the Cadets. I have won DCI finals. I know what an unbelievably great feeling that is. Come Saturday night in Pasadena, the members of the 2007 Cadets will also know how that feels. In all reality the Cadets have pulled away, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they went unbeaten for the rest of the season.

I'll admit - I absolutely HATE the narration. But, the horns are fantastic, the drums are fantastic, the guard is fantastic, the drill is fantastic, the brass book is very well written, the drum book is very well written. Narration or not, this is a championship designed show, and it's going to win....based on the judging criteria.

Cadets - 2007 DCI WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!!!!