lolcorps

thats not even a funny joke.

:rock:

:thumbup:

:smile:

thats not even a funny joke.

DCImonkey LOVES the Blue Devils... did you not know?

Blue Devils have been part of my email password for years....since 1997 at least... I must love something about them :)

DCImonkey LOVES the Blue Devils... did you not know?

nope hes been complaining since august 9 :thumbup:

The same could be said for Cadets, Cavies, etc....but only BD seems to get the "lazy" tag.

Maybe it's because BDs show's the last couple of years (or perhaps just this previous one), IMO, haven't really connected with the audience well.. like EXTREMELY well. Sure it's still loud, performed well, and the technical stuff is achieved excellently BUT... all the work in the world won't matter to the audience (assuming they have only a surface appreciation of the activity or they're just spoiled,) if it doesn't rouse emotion out of the audience. ..it just brings out the tendency in people to pick out flaws- real or imagined (imaged in the context of artistic taste). That's not a problem with the members themselves but possibly just bad luck in picking shows that are adaptable to the audience and by the same tolken perhaps the audience can't appreciate it yet.

For example, my first drum corps show didn't really rouse much emotion in me. Honestly to me it was "just another show" but with different instrumentation and accuracy level and higher demand. The show itself wasn't necessarily more exciting (in the way I thought of exciting) as some high school shows I did. However, as I watched our best performance (highest scoring) of the season during this past off-season, I grew to like and appreciate the music and show for what it was, not what I originally expected it to be. I now know that that show had value, but in a different artistic, sub-genre, of Drum Corps music. It's. Just. Different.

My High School shows:

2005 Rain

1. Dances From Estancia

Nimrod from Enigma Varients IV

Pampeana

3. 2007 Inspire (Pat Methany- Crossmen 1991 Opener and Crossmen 1992 Movement 3 for the ballad, Movement 2 for the Closer)

VERY emotional and passionate year.

[drill.. :thumbup: ]

4. 2006 Khan Teardrop

Drum Corps:

A New American Classic

Now compare the excitement/potential for excitement in my high school shows to my first drum corps show. You can see a marked difference in genre, being the intelligent person you are, but for me the transition was difficult. I can now appreciate what that show was and in hindsight I look fondly back at it and enjoy watching it every time and it brings back great memories of tour and it makes me excited for the coming season because I know my corps is going to be awesome! I'm sure the same thing would've happened if I had managed to join the old VK- with their wacky craziness.

The same could go for the audience. They're used to seeing/experienceing certain things but have a difficult time placing BD 2009 in the proper context and may not for a few years. Perhaps jealousy/weariness of BD winning takes away from their ability to reach the audience.

Just throwin' out guesses here. Please don't be offended.

My disclaimer. I subscribe to the "exciting-but-dirty" is better than "clean-and-mediocre" theory so yes, some marching band performances can be more entertaining than some Drum Corps performances and being in a marching band CAN result in *DIFFERENT* bonds than Drum Corps because, heck you GREW UP with these people.

Maybe it's because BDs show's the last couple of years (or perhaps just this previous one), IMO, haven't really connected with the audience well.. like EXTREMELY well.

Nah.....this has been going on for years and years...

I disagree! :thumbup:

So do I ! :smile:

offtopic.jpg

ha don't worry the sky isn't falling nor is whatever you just tossed going to land on your head.. :smile: but point taken :thumbup: