Could the cadets be heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever?

most unpopular dci victory?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. are cadets maybe heading for the most un popular dci win of all time

• yes
    • no

How does one know if DCP is or isn't a" cross section (representation) of the " average show audience " ?

I've sat next to several folks at a few shows this year who stood up and gave the Cadets a standing ovation, and one of them while he's clapping is telling me how much he disliked the narration( but liked the show in spite of this distraction ).I don't know whether DCP is representative or not to the " average show audience " but it could be. But how someone can say with such certainty that the views expressed on DCP are " not even close to the cross section of the average audience " seems a little too dubious a claim to my way of thinking.

It's just MHO..as you have yours.

People on DCP are the hard-corps (!) fans, not the average show attendee. They like drum corps as it was when they marched...that's what made them fans. So when it changes...a la amps and multi-key...they don't like it...post after post thread after thread shows that.

Average audience members are far more casual fans...and they never heard of DCP or RAMD.

Old timers said Bayonne was not Drum Corps in 76..or the Scouts, Cavies and Cadets in 71...with no internet the complaints were just not as public or plentiful.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any information to support this statement, or is it just a feeling? Is there a difference between the average show audience, and the dci fan base? Bear with me - is a parent, who goes to a show because his/her kid is in a performing corps that year, but stops going as soon as the kid isn't in the corps anymore, part of the dci fan base? I would respectfully say, no. So, is DCP representative of the dci fan base? What's to say it isn't? Is DCP representative of the average show audience? Probably not, because the average show probably is half full of parents, who won't be going to shows once their kid is done with the corps. What say you, sir?

See my answer to X DM that covers this ground pretty much.

Ok firstly Im not trying to cause a stir here. Cadets are marching and playing very well! and have a great drum and hornline, they are looking pretty unstoppable at the moment. People will shout DCI year 2000 with the cadets strong leading up to finals, etc still with the exception of devils who seem to be getting into there stride a bit, they look very close too that title.

The question is if the cadets do win will it be the most controversial dci win ever.

Has happened before Star in 1991 comes to mind. With all the narration hate out there, and general polls of who going 2 win with alot of the fans putting phantom/vanguard/devils top, with fans not likely alot of distraction from the music, with the narration etc!

comments!

No, because I don't think the Cadets will win.

Nope - I'm not. I'll never learn to enjoy narration, gay rabbits, and pushing the envelope just for the sake of it. Now just give up! You will never win this debate with me. I'm an old fart that LOVES drum corps, but not Cadet borgs that defend them no matter what insanity they try to put on the field! Now just unbunch your panties and get on to the next Cadets love topic...... BYE!

I'm not trying to defend narration. I am simply disproving your point about people joining the Cadets just to win. Geez 42 year old, why don't you try reading before you try namecalling.

why must all Cadets threads wind up in personal attacks??

tell me about it :worthy: close this tread and get on with the season! anyhow devils have beated the cadets!

The Cadets will not be heading for the most unpopular dci victory ever.

I have a feeling a couple of Blue teams, not to mention a particular green team will be just a step ahead when the last ROSE is handed out.

The Troopers are an average 1.5 years younger than the Cadets, but the Scouts difference is only .05 years younger...insignificant.

I won't doubt you on that Mike because you probably have much better sources than I do. However I would not call a 1.5 year average age difference at the DI level "insignifigant". It also depends on the retention rate. Let's be realistic. DI corps don't run all of these camps and clinics for high school kids out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all about recruiting. Whoops - had to edit - I think you were refering to the Scouts and not the Troopers. Sorry about that.

Edited by Piper

People on DCP are the hard-corps (!) fans, not the average show attendee. They like drum corps as it was when they marched...that's what made them fans. So when it changes...a la amps and multi-key...they don't like it...post after post thread after thread shows that.

That's a very wide brush you paint everyone with.

Here we go again - if you're against one change, you must be against all change. Why do you repeat the same tired rhetoric over and over, Mike? You've already heard from a number of people right here on DCP who prove they're not that one-dimensional. You are one example. So am I. Neither of us would be here if we only liked drum corps the way it was when we marched.

You can't dismiss DCP posters with this false stereotype. But I imagine you'll continue to do so, each time you find most DCP posters disagreeing with you. <**>

People on DCP are the hard-corps (!) fans, not the average show attendee.

...and are usually the ones that spend the most $$$ on souvies, donate the most, are willing to spend more for premium services like Platnium Season Pass as well.

Sure there are a few trolls that say "NEW DRUM CORPS IS TEH SUX" or newer people that like to stir the pot with "U DINOS R ALL DUM, WW 4EVA.", but for the most part, everyone here is pretty supportive of drum corps in general.

Don't confuse people posting ways to improve a product they care about as somehow "living in the past". Just because your idea of adding everything but the kitchen sink to the on-field product differs from someone elses who wants something different doesn't mean you are automatically the progressive viewpoint here.

While DCP ain't everyone who goes to a show, it's pretty close to the best test market DCI could ever want. B)

Mods, please, can you follow the same criteria you have with Madison, and just combine any new threads about the "controversial" Cadets' show into ONE thread?

Unless someone has something fairly original to bring to the table, all of these various Cadets thread are revolving around one rather tired point with two polar positions, so would do just as well being lumped together, imho.

I have reported this 3 times now (the fact that only the Cadets get a new negative thread a day while other corps get them closed and then combined. . .especially Madison) and it seems nothing is being done about it.