ATTENTION: Academy Honks

Try as you may - the rest of the drum corps community is not going to fully embrace a group <snip>

On the contrary, I think it's a smart and good way to do things. In a period in drum corps history where everyone is mourning the loss of so many corps, where the activity is shrinking and in danger of ceasing to exist entirely, I think it makes sense to go back to a more local/regional approach. I predict they will be seen as pioneers of a new way (or a return to the old way) in 10 years or so.

And if the hard-core road-hardened "real" corps are getting beaten by the regional "wanna-be" weekend corps, then maybe they should start practicing harder than the Academy does.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little torn on this issue. It is my understanding that The Academy are playing by the rules so to speak. I'm not too sure if i agree of their performance time in San Antonio. IMHO they should go on first because they didn't attend Allentown or Altanta and, if i am not mistaken, those shows' results are how DCI does the draw for San Antonio.

Taken from another thread...

DCI did not do Academy any special favor. It was decided upon very early BEFORE the season actually began (I saw the memo dated April 3, 2007). There are three major shows at which at least one Div. I corps would be missing (Academy, Mandarins and/or PC)--Allentown, Atlanta and San Antonio.

It was stated that for the Allentown scores (July 7 and 8), Mandarins' score from June 30 and Academy's score from June 23 would be used; for the Atlanta scores (July 14), all three corps' scores from the July 14 Long Beach show would be used; and for San Antonio, PC's score from Long Beach will again be used.

This plan may have been slightly revised, but this was at least originally the plan.

I agree with you in principle (especially this is how Blue Stars were treated last year), but I actually think it is more fair to have them compete with corps that are essentially their direct competitors. To force them to go on first puts them at a competitive disadvantage that simply is not fair. It wasn't fair last year, but that's in the past, so there is no use whining about it.

Going on first didn't hurt Magic in 2002, and it wouldn't hurt Academy in San Antonio. It's not even a factor by Pasadena. The only possible difference would be that Academy might only perform in the afternoon this Saturday, but they'd overcome that easily by Quarters.

At the same time, it only helps Pioneer and Southwind and Troopers and other corps who had stagnant scores in Atlanta. Academy performing first would have given the judges a chance to pre-benchmark the afternoon and not necessarily lowball the first few corps.

If Academy is that good, going on first won't be a problem. I think they might be that good.

Shhesh! A guy tries to offer a little freindly advice and look what happens!! Let's see... where to begin, where to begin...

Actually, it should have ended before you pushed the "post" button.

First of all - most of you should go back and read, re-read and re-re-read both of my posts. At NO TIME do I ever condem Academy, it's organization, financial status, members, staff or philosophy. That "criticism" is something YOU added, not me. In fact, my second post says we should all APPLAUD their efforts... did you happen to read that?

That's not how the original post felt at all. In fact, it sounded like you were ticked off in general about Academy's success.

No, my words are directed to those HONKS who have been over-hyping a group that until JULY 21, will not have competed anywhere east of Glendale Community College! And when you look at ALL the corps, the 5-6 weeks they've been on the road and THEIR fans too - maybe you might want to tone it down a little bit. That's all.

I see, so your whole opinion of the corps, and it's fans, is based on one season of drum corps? Never mind the fundraising that started back in 1999; the methodical planning and development of the corps; their early success within their region in Div II, and continued success in the second season; their Div II championship at their first championship show?

Academy is where it is because of good planning and meticulous execution of that plan. Their success this season is a direct result of that plan. And DCI gave them the seal of approval.

No, once again, I am NOT critisizing Academy's organization, tour or schedule. Heck, working with DCI is like working with the IRS - you should be using all of their rules to YOUR fullest advantage. Good for them! I am simply reminding you to keep everyone else's organization, tour and schedule in mind, and wait for the ENTIRE season to play out before you annoint yourself World Champions.

I don't recall seeing anyone say that Academy would be World Champions. (Well, technically, they could be defending Champions had they stayed in Div II.) All the hype seems to be directed at them making finals, the first DCI finalist from Arizona. It's not unlike the hype about Cascades going from Div III champion to Div II finalist to Div I finalist in three years.

The debate is still out on whether the shorter touring schedule is help or hindrance to a corps' success.

Personally, I don't believe ANY limited-touring corps should be able to compete for a Finalist spot. But that's just me. I'm a grouchy old guy. Of course you will be very happy to know that I don't make the rules. So there you go.

Well, until the rules state otherwise it's a moot point.

I can tell you that among my large group of old Drum Corps fans IF, I repeat, IF Academy makes it into the Top Twelve - it will always be with an asterisk (for those of you on the west coast, it's one of these things *), meaning: didn't do it the same as everyone else. Once again, NOT a criticism - just a fact.

Just a little pompous, are we? Thanks for indicating just what an asterisk is, oh great mind. (Geez...) I suppose you think Roger Maris should still have an asterisk after his 61 home runs?

From top to bottom, this is the most competitive season of Drum Corps that I can remember in a long, long time. I have the feeling that placements are going to move around until that final score is announced in Pasadena. And the REAL winner will be... US!!!

Here's wishing you all a lot of fun these last few weeks of the season!

Now THAT I can agree with!

Garry in Vegas (and formerly Arizona, where I tried to get another corps going once...)

Edited by CrunchyTenor

In memory of corps that went inactive recently:

D1:

Troopers '06 (ressurected, fortunately)

Esperanza '07

Magic '07

Kiwanis Kavaliers '06-'07

Capital Regiment '07

D2:

ECJ '07

Patriots '04

(I'm probably missing some)

D3:

too many to count

Would you like us to add Academy to this list? That's what would happen if DCI demanded that they tour as much as other corps' in their first couple years of div 1

Topics were merged.

Read post #78 on page 8.

And for cryin' out loud, lighten up a little bit. Of course the "World Champions" reference is an exaggeration (I believe most of you were picking 2nd). And the asterisk thing is just poking fun at my friends on the west coast. By the way, I grew up on the west coast.

There's a lot of great shows left to see. Relax and have fun!

Topics were merged.

Read post #78 on page 8.

And for cryin' out loud, lighten up a little bit. Of course the "World Champions" reference is an exaggeration (I believe most of you were picking 2nd). And the asterisk thing is just poking fun at my friends on the west coast. By the way, I grew up on the west coast.

There's a lot of great shows left to see. Relax and have fun!

Nice backpeadling....

Nope. Just the truth.

Read the original post.

The "you" reference may be throwing people off a bit. If that's the case, then substitute with "your corps."