2007 Ballads

I just don't get the antipathy towards ballads. They offer a change of pace, and give the corps the opportunity to display a completely different set of musical chops.

For the love of Hoppy, the main reason the 87 Cadets is one of my favorite Cadets show? The ballad, Make Out Garden Grow.

Can a poorly developed ballad be boring? Sure. So can a poorly developed opener or closer. Would you really want to give up, say, Pegasus, from BD' 82 show? Or Fire of Eternal Glory, from PR93?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had shows in the past that have had no ballads. I wonder if anybody's ever thought about doing a show that was all ballad?

We've had shows in the past that have had no ballads. I wonder if anybody's ever thought about doing a show that was all ballad?

'02 Boston?

(sure seemed like it)

Edited by dciguy01

havent seen all of D1 yet, but of who i saw sunday in Atown, Devs, Crossmen and coats were good.

I love a good ballad, and I LOVE Regiment's this year. However, I'm tired of every color guard doing the "required" all dance ballad, especially since so many of them do it so poorly. Don't get me wrong, I love nothing more than beautiful dancers, but don't make me watch you dance through an entire 3 minute ballad unless you look like Baryshnikov. Also, whatever happened to beautiful expressive and lyrical flag writing?

I just don't get the antipathy towards ballads. They offer a change of pace, and give the corps the opportunity to display a completely different set of musical chops.

For the love of Hoppy, the main reason the 87 Cadets is one of my favorite Cadets show? The ballad, Make Out Garden Grow.

Can a poorly developed ballad be boring? Sure. So can a poorly developed opener or closer. Would you really want to give up, say, Pegasus, from BD' 82 show? Or Fire of Eternal Glory, from PR93?

My parents had a garden growing up, but I never thought of it as a place for that.

Elmo Blatch

My parents had a garden growing up, but I never thought of it as a place for that.

Elmo Blatch

It isn't. I tried it once and I totally wrecked my tulips. Not a great scene.

It isn't. I tried it once and I totally wrecked my tulips. Not a great scene.

LOL

Anyway, my friend teared up during flower duet in ATL. I didn't, but I still thought it was very nice. And in case any of you were wondering, it was the same guy that kept yelling how "sexy" Darian Sanders is...