Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

Okay, if that's been figured out, can everyone move on now? I don't know what happened in how it was parsed on DCI.org, but if it's clear that scores from both shows were being used to establish performance order in prelims and therefore it's clear that special consideration wasn't provided as earlier implied, then the question is answered.

Or does that take the fun out of things? :)

I'm quoting myself because...well...because I can.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would much rather see the Academy have the touring schedule that it has, than seeing them put too much rubber on the road and put the organization's financial stability at risk. DCI has lost too many corps because of that already.

Jami - the thread is flame-bait

It is clear Academy has not gotten special treatment by DCI. To thread provides no evidence of their claim.

It's no different than somebody starting a thread saying "Staff member X sleeps with minors"

Irresponsible on the part of the original OP - and honestly - irresponsible for DCP to pay to host (and broadcast) such a pathetic discussion.

That gets my vote for the most melodramatic overstatement of the season (other than, of course, clearly sarcastic tongue in cheek statements) :blink:

Academy getting special treatment is not the heinous, slanderous statement you imply. It is an opinion relative to 2007, and factual relative to what we have seen in past practice from DCI, and factual relative to the literal description posted @ dci.org.

Whether it is special treatment is open to opinion and interpretation. I believe the following:

1) Our goal should be to create the best competitive environment possible and let the results on the field speak for themselves.

2) We should not expect DCI to be bound by past practice. If a better alternative is offered DCI should not hesitate to move in that direction. How corps X must have felt in 200X when they were required to go on first is not relevant to 2007.

3) When the decision was made to use the Long Beach scores is irrelevant IMO. I don't care if it was predetermined or decided right before the draw - if it is a better method (and I believe it is) then go with it. We aren't talking about legal code here, we are talking about drum corps.

4) There is no need to be so literal about the description on the website. So it says Atlanta scores were used, big deal. I suppose it could have said "Atlanta and Long Beach" or "order was largely based upon..." or something to that effect to keep folks from getting so wound up. The site also says that drum corps is open to kids between the ages of 14-21 and we know there really is not a DCI mandated minimum age requirement. Don't be so literal!

Edited by jwscv87

Okay, if that's been figured out, can everyone move on now? I don't know what happened in how it was parsed on DCI.org, but if it's clear that scores from both shows were being used to establish performance order in prelims and therefore it's clear that special consideration wasn't provided as earlier implied, then the question is answered.

Or does that take the fun out of things? :)

so, if it has been stated DCI is NOT giving Academy special treatment, and the expanation explaining the criteria for their step-off time has been discussed , then this thread should be closed, the questions are answered, theres no special treatment, and scoring criteria was already in place regarding step-off time before the season started.

Close the thread.

~G~

so, if it has been stated DCI is NOT giving Academy special treatment, and the expanation explaining the criteria for their step-off time has been discussed , then this thread should be closed, the questions are answered, theres no special treatment, and scoring criteria was already in place regarding step-off time before the season started.

Close the thread.

~G~

Who has it been stated by?? I rather doubt that more than a handful of people who post on DCP have the 'inside scoop' (and I know I'm not one of them).

You have your opinion, and I have mine. I thought that this forum was, in part, meant for airing them.

I'm in agreement that, if the ruling was put in place by DCI prior to the season, no one can have any gripe about the results. If Academy was the beneficiary and other corps caught the dirty end of the stick, at least the rules weren't changed on the fly.

IMHO, that is the issue. DCI has the right to make any rules it wants. The BOD has the right to advise the Executive Director that it approves or disapproves of what he does. Corps compete knowing the rules (if they remain consistent throughout any season)- sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. Not a happy circumstance for many of us, but that's life.

It just hit me, and I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier.

YES, Academy IS getting special treatment from DCI.

ALL DCI corps get special treatment from DCI. Being that DCI is run BY the corps, they each are treated special.

Group hug, all?

I just now looked at the performance order for San Antonio and was surprised that The Academy and Mandarins were not part of the first group of three corps. If performance order was determined by placements in Atlanta, The Academy/Mandarins would have to be in the first group of three corps going on the field. If that is not what determines performance order, then why does the website indicate that to be so? Either it is, or it isn't. I'm growing really tired of these special exceptions found throughout DCI. Is performance order only determined by Atlanta placements if you actually went to the show? Seems like there is plenty of incentive provided to not actually make that show if you could ( a ) save money by not going and/or ( b ) benefit on the sheets by not facing so much competition. Performance order should be determined by the same criteria for all corps. That's not difficult for most people to grasp, unless you are involved with DCI (apparently).

After reading more of the comments, I am curious why people think The Academy would suffer by going on much earlier than the corps they are competing directly with (according to recent scores)? Either they are earning their scores or they are not. The judges don't need help by having corps bunched together to get it right. If The Academy does a 79 or an 80, they should be able to earn that whether they go on at Noon or at 3 PM.

Edited by Tekneek