BEST photo of the year!

I hope this isn't a stupid question, its been a long time since my days as an honor guard in drum corps and the boy scouts.

Would it have been proper for the Troopers DM to walk over and guard the American flag.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tank Man

Lot of rumours floating about what happened to him, anything from execution to hiding out in Hong Kong to living in Taiwan.

About as many rumors with him as there are with BD's sop soloist in '89! :P

A looong time ago I was in the Color unit for a now long-gone Junior Corps. I was all of 12 years old, but I had a "sidearm" and was part of the unit that came in displaying the colors and the corps flag. We worked hard to do those colors proud, and took great pride in what we were doing. It brings goosebumps to see that some of those great traditions still exist, just wish more corps would honor their roots like that.

Troopers. Always been a class act, always will be.

I just wish more AMERICANS knew what the rules of respect were and ,why they are the rules and passed them down to the next generation. THANK YOU TROOPERS FOR REMINDING US THAT WE DO OWE RESPECT TO THE FLAG OF THE COUNTRY THAT GIVES US THE PRIVILEDGE TO DO DRUM CORPS AT WILL

A few things about Mark Crimm. The guy is a rock. He's a class act. he's a god fearing descent young man and He knows exactly what he's doing out there. As a former trooper I know that it's not just the black uniform that makes the Troop DM, it's all about who goes into that black uniform. All of these things are considered when auditioning Troopers DM. Truely, the Troop DM is one of the most coveted positions in all of DCI. This is exactly why. Keep it up dude.

TROOP!

If I remember, Mark was in Madison last year, in full uniform, and went on the field during an intermission to salute the flag and remind the fans that the Troop was not gone.

Back in the 70's there was a group from Dakota, IL that guarded the stars & stripes with bow & arrow. And they usually were some hot gals ta boot!! I mean mocassins, sorry.

Chicago Connection used to guard the flag with Gatling machine gun mock-ups.

Chicago Connection used to guard the flag with Gatling machine gun mock-ups.

Heh....someone should get an Ahnold lookalike and have the colors guarded by a minigun!!

Ain't NO ONE gonna cross THAT line!

Edited by 84BDsop

1.) The flag may be guarded by rifle, sabre or sidearm.

2.) The only thing he could've POSSIBLY done to top his actions would have been to march over and actually stand guard over the colors.

3.) A question: I often see military and police salute the flag as it passes. But I highly doubt all others observe what they should do. Non-military observers should remove their hats and hold in right hand over the left should so that the right hand covers the heart. Aliens should simply stand at attention.

p.s. - (and I really need someone from the Troopers organization to make sure Mark knows this...) I told my mother about the unguarded flag at the show and she gasped. Then I told her about the actions Mark displayed and she actually started to cry. This is how much this kind of thing means to me and my family. And I sincerely appreciate it and I hope I get to tell him that in person some time.

This one is worth captioning.

This photo was posted by "Jeff" on the Troopers message board. WOW! There is another close up photo on that thread.

This is the Drum Major, Mark Crimm, waiting for the colors to be dismissed.

bestphoto.jpg

I have continued to return to this thread again and again intending to write something, however simple words do not seem to be enough to convey the emotion generated in me, especially after reading what other posters have said about this young man.

I'm sure Mr. Crimm's action has set a new standard for us all when it comes to respecting our countries' flags and according them the honour that is due. I'm also sure he will be pointed out to all our younger drum corps members as an example of pure class.

I hope he is made aware of how much good he's done to restore the faith in those of us who have felt the loss of some of the traditions.

Peace.

kel