Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish

Poll  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish at the Southwestern Championships?

• Yes
    • No

seconded

the only corps that can do less wrong than them is the Troopers. My god, i'd love to see someone try and insult them here. A saber would fly through that persons screen and impale them. :P

Do you have a problem with the Troop?

:wink:

:wink:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crown was good. coats were good. phantom is better. period. i don't know why phantom keeps getting slammed when the corps ahead of them play easier parts while standing still... it's a travesty.

I tend to agree. I was complaining to a friend of mine that as long as corps are not rewarded for marching demanding drill WHILE playing, we will see more corps emulate the Cavies "formula." My friend called it good design (as well as the black pants that hide feet issues). I reluctantly have to agree. I wonder if Zingali was still around if he would stop "flinging" the brass around during the most demanding parts of the music. When did brass judges stop taking physical demand into account when judging? Was it ever taken into account?

Ok -- I just listened to the APD of Phantom from San Antonio ---- MY GOD!!! The dome seems to distort everything -- I heard more pit/ensemble than anything except when the corps proper is dead center microphones. I did hear a few fracks and bad releases in the trumpets/soprano's throught as well as the Euphoniums being extremely heavy sounding, almost blaring (overplaying I think).

There was major phasing in that 64 count "F" in the closer (Stravinsky) where you can literally hear breaks and the alternating space between players . Now I listened to this at HIGH DEF w/headphones on via a DELL Pentium PC with above average equilizer and sound card installed. Now, I also downloaded "Crown" I hear some of the same spacing/reverb issues. Yes they are more spread out soundwise, but the similarities are present in both, but more prevelent with Regiment. I have listened to this APD of both 5 different times -- fooling with various graphics & sound settings on the EQ - and I have to say that the sound in the dome seems to distort EVERYTHING to some degree.

Now, one this is blatantly clear!

Regiment in the video I saw really, Really, REALLY needs to clean the feet -- and, tone down the overplaying!

Once all the visual embellishments are added that Regiment is famous for this late in the season -- I hope that three weeks is enuff! I have my rosary beads, garlic, Holy Water as well as prayers all at the ready. If I am right, PR's staff probably had coniptions (sp?) after this performance -- especially if THEY watched the video's from up high and/or listened to the APD.

We ALL know Regiment can do better, and I know they will -- hopefully sooner than later!

C'Mon Regiment !! Pull out all those stops -- we know you're hungry -- show us how Much!

Trisha

seconded

the only corps that can do less wrong than them is the Troopers. My god, i'd love to see someone try and insult them here. A saber would fly through that persons screen and impale them. :P

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :P LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :P LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :P

~G~

You know, it's not like Phantom Regiment was beaten by "crap", they were edged out at one show by two corps that are extremely fan-friendly, both the best in their respective organizations history, and one (Crown) may be by seasons end, no matter where they or anyone else place, the 2007 favorite show of the year. ie: Phantom Regiment is having an awesome year, season isnt over yet !!

I cant wait to see whats next for all corps !

~G~

We had a saying when I marched and people would get heated over scores and other things like that...

"Really, it's just band"

Bullpuckey. Tell that to members of every other corps in the top 12 that summer, and I bet you get a different impression from them.

It's not their impression I'm interested in. Competitive drum corps, as with any competition, has "A" winner, and losers. Ties, in a championship diminish that title. Why not just tie for second then since "we couldn't decide?"

RM - the only thing worse than second place is...................................., well nothing!

ampssuck

I'm just gonna say it...

I think Phantom Regiment is one of the most overrated corps in DCI. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I think this has been a long time coming.

Phantom is cool. They perform the hell out of their shows. They have an awesome name. They have super cool uniforms. They honestly never really let you down. BUT I think people get caught up in the Phantom mystique and go a little overboard. There's corps out there who are just as good or better, and I think that Phantom isn't fading off because of anything they're doing wrong. But other corps are simply giving the judges no excuse to put phantom on top. Bluecoats and Crown did exactly that on Saturday. I feel that Phantom Regiment gets cut a lot of breaks because they're the Phantom Regiment. Whereas the Bluecoats and Crown know that in order to beat Phantom they have to leave no doubt in anyones mind they came out on top. In my opinion there was really no doubt leaving the stadium.

I honestly think BD should have beat Phantom last year...

I thought their placement was right in '05, but I didn't see what all they hype was about.

In '04 I thought Crown and Bluecoats should have beaten Phantom

I really thought SCV should have had phantom in 03

Phantom is in 6th. I personally feel if they don't watch out they will be in 7th. Again, it's not because they "suck" or anything like that. I feel that maybe they just deserve that placement. I also feel that Crown and Blue need to be higher. (past cadets even) you can call me a "honk" and it's not that I hate regiment or love both Blue and Crown so much and honk on both of them (can you do that?) I just think they're underrated, and fighting against people who have been where they are a lot longer than they have. These corps have to stop being given the benefit of the doubt. Something I feel Phantom's been given the last few years.

Not only do I agree, but I think its probably where they should have been weeks ago. Crown and Bluecoats have much better designed shows and are performing them at a higher level. In fact, the spread should be wider.

As far as out of control, I know there are differing schools of thought on this but I think Phantom's brass is often out of control. They pass the line from loud and full into ugly during several parts of their show.

Also, SCV surprised me tonight, so Phantom's slip may not be over.

I agree that the horns sounded a bit...forced. And they didn't seem to be as mature as BD's or Cadets--just a different intensity to the sound. Interesting to note that they WON brass in Dallas over both of these. Placed 3rd in percussion and won brass--never would have guessed it. Any comment on comparing their maturity/intensity to the top 3? And of course, Bluecoats who won brass!

I agree that they better watch their backs. The show has LOTS of potential, and maybe Saturday night was a bad performance, but that was one heck of a bad time to spit out a bad performance. I thought it was a step up from Dallas (same percussion judge, I think!), just a whole buch of new adds/changes. The blue doesn't do anything except blend with the drums. Bad omen, man. Bad omen.

Just have to say once again, the brass/percussion ensemble is simply amazing. The interplay between the two was seamless. The members know how to play, JD and Rennick know how to write together, and specifically, the weaving of the drums into the horn book by Paul is just great! There were moments in BD's and Cadets shows both nights that sounded like the brass/percussion books kind of ended with a thud and the other picked it up where PR's book just flows like nothing I've ever heard. And that with UNHEARD of music included. Going into the ballad the pit break is amazing, and going into Firebird the tuba "Bombers" into the Buick (Baritone--played by a mello player!) solo at the start of Firebird is a nice music GE moment. Get it Tubas? Bombers? Buicks and Bombers--pretty appropriate, IMHO.

Hope the staff can pull it out--the members have no major problems!

I tend to agree. I was complaining to a friend of mine that as long as corps are not rewarded for marching demanding drill WHILE playing, we will see more corps emulate the Cavies "formula." My friend called it good design (as well as the black pants that hide feet issues). I reluctantly have to agree. I wonder if Zingali was still around if he would stop "flinging" the brass around during the most demanding parts of the music. When did brass judges stop taking physical demand into account when judging? Was it ever taken into account?

I started a thread on this subject. I actually charted the time spent playing and moving in the Atlanta show to support the claim. I was met by a heavy dose of attacks from Green Team fans, which only bothered me because I believe there is merit in this conversation. I really think that music judges have become blind, and visual judges have become deaf.