Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish

Poll  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish at the Southwestern Championships?

• Yes
    • No

they could place eleventy-billionth and I wouldn't care. :)

that'd be one LONG drum corps show.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could care less where they place, as long as it is fair, and last night seemed fair.

You know, after 89, there was so much pressure on PR to win the title, actualy after 87....and the they fell (placement ) short but think about it, were 88, and 90 failures ?? I happen to love 1990 much better than 89 and dont consider that placement a "failure" , after 91 they were the buzz to take it all then fell to 8th in 1992, thats one of my favorite shows of all time. Sure, world champion is nice, but respect, admiration and fond memories of past shows dont automaticaly come with the title.

~G~

Interesting points here. Please read and pass along.

pr has spent more time in the general "top" of dci than cavies have, much less top three. i've heard phantom's average placement is 4.71. looking back at cavies scores, then doing some quick math reveals... average placement of 5.46. just something for you to think about.

you're right, they HAVE been phenomenal for over 30 years now. my bad.

what haven't they gotten that they should have... some of that is hard to call, like 1989. phantom deserved a win there, but so did scv. one of the easiest answers to your question would probably be 2006. faust was one of the finest performances ever put on by a drum corps, ever. period. machine was boring, the music practically put me into a coma, it was incredibly gimmicky, and i dare say it was the best marching band show i've ever seen. performed well, sure, but not as well as faust, and machine was missing the, uhhhh, music.

EDIT: i went back and watched machine just to see if i had forgotten something.

i didn't. it's musically nowhere close to faust. visually, it's cool, i'd place it about even with phantom's drill that year. maybe a little ahead, just to try to appease the horde coming my way. the entire show is a gimmick, from top to bottom.

With your posts you have proven to have a complete inability to view this subjective activity through anyone's eyes but your own. You view your opinions as fact and absolutes. I would bet that I've probably watched as much drum corps as you have over the past 25 years or so and I believe the Cavies deserved the win in 2006 and I don't think it was close. I thought it was the best designed show since 1984 Garfield. Not to take anything away from PR as they were outstanding too.

What set you off at this point was Crown and Bluecoats beating PR. Were you at the show or did you watch the webcast? To my eyes and ears via the webcast it was not all that close. Crown and Bluecoats were clearly better on Saturday. The lack of a PR win when you think they should have won is not evidence of a debacle or conspiracy. More likely it is evidence of your narrow perspective.

alright, i do need to clarify some things. i should have done it last night, but i was tired and i wasn't thinking straight from seeing 6th and 7th place -_-

i have seen phantom and crown and bd and cadets, at the dallas show (and i'm going to see vanguard and coats and cavies today in denton), so yes, i have seen phantom's show live. i made that "i hear their drill is challenging" comment because, while i did see them live, i was tunnel-visioning on the battery, so i didn't catch much else :)

which brings me to my next point: i don't have a perfect memory, but from what i remember, phantom was pretty much running for 11 minutes. bd on the other hand, last night's first place finish, spent... oh... WAY TOO MUCH TIME standing still while playing. it was entirely too much, plain and simple. i can understand slowing down for more technical passages, but it was too much, and there's no way pegasus is THAT much harder than 1000 airplanes.

on phantom versus crown: like i said, crown's show was good. i liked it. i would place it close to phantom, even, but not above. i WAS watching crown's drill last i saw them, and even getting the full effect of it did not impress me as much as just watching phantom run.

now, did execution hurt phantom and scv last night? maybe, i wasn't there, and i won't act like phantom never makes a mistake. but i find it ex-treme-ly hard to believe that last year's second place got beat by a corps whose highest finals placement ever was, what, 7th? it's phantom... yes they make mistakes, but so do all the other kids in all the other corps. there were phasing and timing problems with crown when i saw them. unless half of pr went crazy, i literally just cannot imagine what would put a show like that, being performed by some of the best musicians in the world, behind a show with high school music being performed by kids who knew when they signed up they were going into a 9thish place corps.

SUMMARY:

i have seen phantom and crown. unless half of pr was sick last night, i honestly just cannot understand how the scores came out like that. really and truly, i'm trying to imagine it, and i'm just imaging how much more i liked phantom over crown (and bd for that matter.)

So if I read you correctly - all of this complaining about placements in San Antonio relates to what you saw at different shows!! That is unbelievable. The corps have been pretty close all season and you can't grant the possibility that on one evening PR was not at their best and was therefore beaten? You go on to say,

but i find it ex-treme-ly hard to believe that last year's second place got beat by a corps whose highest finals placement ever was, what, 7th? it's phantom...

Any ounce of credibiity you may have had is trashed with a comment like that IMO. Now you are letting last years placement color your impression of what should have happened on Saturday? Unbelievable.

on bd 96: i don't remember what it was that turned me off of that show, but i remember watching it once, maybe twice, and vowing never to have that one dumping out of my speakers ever again.

As one who WAS there in '96, if BD had done the performance they did at quarters on finals night, there would have been no tie. That performance, regardless of how you feel about the show itself, was their best of the week. Not meaning to disrespect Mike C but, what was he gonna say, "gee BD really blew tonight. To bad they couldn't have repeated the quarterfinals performance."

RM - there are no winners when there's a tie

ampssuck

RM - there are no winners when there's a tie

ampssuck

Bullpuckey. Tell that to members of every other corps in the top 12 that summer, and I bet you get a different impression from them.

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

I came to this board thinking that I would be too much of a jerk for anyone to stand me, and then it turned out that I can't handle anyone else. Just thought this thread exemplifies that. That's all.

Edit: Could it be that this guy is not really a Regiment fan but is only trying to make them look bad? I've seen it happen now to Cavaliers and BD, where some idiot logs on and starts spouting about how great they are and starts putting down other corps and making the corps they are "fans" of look bad...would not surprise me if it were happening here too. Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

I'm starting to believe that is the case

so the general consensus is "we don't care, they're all good shows! hip hip hooray!" in that case, there's really nothing to discuss. if everyone but me is completely apathetic, there's no point in any of us saying anything.

on my corps bashing: well, when you a reward to one corps, you generally take that reward from another. if i can think of a reason why phantom should be in place x, i have to think of a reason why the corps in place x should go lower (or higher, as the case may be), or else the argument is only half there. for the record, i'm not a cavies hater (or hater of any corps), i just think cavies don't deserve 5 out of the last 7 titles.

so the general consensus is "we don't care, they're all good shows! hip hip hooray!" in that case, there's really nothing to discuss. if everyone but me is completely apathetic, there's no point in any of us saying anything.

on my corps bashing: well, when you a reward to one corps, you generally take that reward from another. if i can think of a reason why phantom should be in place x, i have to think of a reason why the corps in place x should go lower (or higher, as the case may be), or else the argument is only half there. for the record, i'm not a cavies hater (or hater of any corps), i just think cavies don't deserve 5 out of the last 7 titles.

But you lose all credibility when you can't compliment or support one corps without bashing other corps