Is Phantom Regiment Out of It?

They have the very best music this year, the best horns, the best percussion, and yet they keep getting "dissed" by the judges. To have the kind of program they have this year and to score as they've been scoring is obscene.

Maybe I'm just too much of a DCI novice.

But he's what I think of the judges...... <**>

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I wouldn't pay attention to their score last night - they weren't competing against any of the other Top 7 corps - so their score was probably a little deflated. Just as a comparison - Spartans in D2 got .1 higher than Phantom got last night at a different show.

They have the very best music this year, the best horns, the best percussion, and yet they keep getting "dissed" by the judges. To have the kind of program they have this year and to score as they've been scoring is obscene.

Their percussion section has been scoring well. Their brass performance scores as well were good at Indy...ensemble down a notch. Visual performance and both Effect captions have not been as high, placement-wisse, whic I can't say I disagree with. When I saw them I thought the ballad, as gorgeous as it was to listen to, was too long and took up a lot of time...and sapped the show of some of it's intensity, as one Effect issue.

Seriously? The judges?

Why could it not possibly be that The Phantom Regiment doesn't have the best music, best horns, and best percussion?

I'm tired of fans blaming everyone but the performers. "The crowd didn't get it" "The judges don't like us" "the judges didn't understand our concept". Get over it. I guarantee you the kids who are busting their ###es at PR and every other corps don't dwell on how the judges are "treating them". Because they know, in the end, it's only they, the performers, that can be held accountable for what they did on the field. And in turn, every performer should have pride in that.

Agreed. I wouldn't pay attention to their score last night - they weren't competing against any of the other Top 7 corps - so their score was probably a little deflated. Just as a comparison - Spartans in D2 got .1 higher than Phantom got last night at a different show.

can't compare DI scores to DII.... different sheets, different criteria.

I'm leaning toward yes. And by "out of it" I mean only that I don't think that they will place first or second in Pasadena. Anything from 3rd to 6th is fair game, and that is still very good considering the quality level of the shows this year.

Out of it to take the championship? Probably yes. Out of it to still be an entertaining, enjoyable show? Of course not.

I'll echo a sentiment I've seen repeated on these boards numerous times, often by PR alums: the show just isn't championship caliber. It's very good, and I very much enjoy it - even if the ballad is a little long. But I don't watch "On Air" and think to myself "that's a championship show" (as I did with Cavies 06 and Cadets 05). So while PR may be able to sneak up and clip one of the top 3, I just don't think the show has what it takes to beat ALL of them and win a title.

"Is Phantom out of it?"

Simple answer: Yes.

I actually disagree here. I still think they have about a 1:100 chance, but they do have a potentially winning show. They really have to get their visual going, but the drumline, I think, will win the caption without much trouble. Their brass book is good enough. But unlike the OP, it's not the judges. The judges are just fine. If they weren't winning drums, then we'd have concern.

They aren't out of it, but they have to execute better, and hope for a GE bump, but the potential still exists.

"Is Phantom out of it?"

Simple answer: Yes.

Sad, but true. :(