Is Phantom Regiment Out of It?

They have the very best music this year, the best horns, the best percussion, and yet they keep getting "dissed" by the judges. To have the kind of program they have this year and to score as they've been scoring is obscene.

Maybe I'm just too much of a DCI novice.

But he's what I think of the judges...... <**>

I understand your frustration. But be a bit more objective and pull yourself away from that which you are so close to. IMO Phantom Regiment does NOT have the best music, nor do they have the best brass or best guard. They may very well have the best percussion, but we'll find out come finals. So obviously I feel they do NOT have the best show, and the judges seem to think the same way.

Now, none of this is saying that they are BAD, or that I do not like them. I really like their show, and I have always loved Phantom, but some years are better than others, and this is not their best show. There are 3 brass lines on the field that are, IMO, better: Bluecoats, Cadets, and Blue Devils. And the Cavaliers may well have a better brass line too. As far as entertainment I think their show is a solid top 5, but for me I have them in 5th, with Bluecoats, Crown being the top 2 this year, followed by BD and Cavaliers. And for all the talk about Cadets, I think many might find their show just as entertaining as Phantom's, maybe more so.

So all the "bests" that you described are your opinions, but you shared them as though they were facts. The only facts that count in DCI are those that come by way of judge, because regardless of how subjective people think the profession is, those are the numbers that count and that determine placement, and I think our judges are excellent.

As far as being "out of it" I would say they likely will not win the DCI Championship, but I would not count them out of the top 4. Realistically I see them anywhere from 4th to 6th. But remember that this corps has made some nice pushes over the last two years.

JW

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well -- as ONE OF Regiment's biggest Phans and backers, I hate to think of them winding up BELOW 4th....

Seems impossible with the music they have & how well they perform it -- however, RATHER THAN PR going with the theme of "birds" -- the visual would have been much greater and more affluent if they went with "flight" in general -- IF "I" were the vis sdesigner -- THIS IS how I would (IMHO) have designed the show : Beginning ------

Have all the guard have 'slide on SILVER/shiny wings ' on each arm that can be quuickly removed and lead the corps proper on the field or into the beginning driill in a "V" formation - giving the impression that they actually were planes in a 'formation' and then have each guard member joined by a perc/horn member so the white uni & the pumes accent this 'forthcoming' bird motif, THEN as the corps noves into the "Lakme'" -- have the guard uniform be similiar to lasy years only -- more flowing and feathery in the arms, with the coloring on what is hanging down being accented in the flags and the rest of the guard uni's. Then the arms should be longer, be hanging as they did last year - and actually be interchangeable so when they transition into 'Suggestion" they could be the teal/blue and then actually CHANGE a 3rd time (the interchangeable arm additions / material) so that when they (guard) make that transition into FIREBIRD, their arms (really appearing as "wings" ) would be accented in yellow, and the silks changed to red/orange to represent 'flames' or fire as they are now.

When the "Firebird" comes to that crashing triple FFF 'wedge' close -- leave the silks lying on the field to further accent the flames -- and have the guard move OFF the field in a final white & yellow "V" as if they were heading south -- and, move off EXACTLY in THAT direction with the corps proper facing the same direction! It would then appear almost POINTING to the guard/silks/flock 'leaving'.........................

Just my humble design sketch (in my demented mind)

Seriously? The judges?

Why could it not possibly be that The Phantom Regiment doesn't have the best music, best horns, and best percussion?

I'm tired of fans blaming everyone but the performers. "The crowd didn't get it" "The judges don't like us" "the judges didn't understand our concept". Get over it. I guarantee you the kids who are busting their ###es at PR and every other corps don't dwell on how the judges are "treating them". Because they know, in the end, it's only they, the performers, that can be held accountable for what they did on the field. And in turn, every performer should have pride in that.

Is it possible to fall in love with a post? :blink: Thank you.

What do you mean "out of it" ?? and why blame the judges ?

Phantom Regiment has a wonderful show this year, the music book is loud, yet subtle, full of dynamics, melody and intricacies. I feel brass and percussion play well together and there is plenty of emotion and impact in their show..its one of their finest musical offering ever.

Visually, they arent taking command of what they have and what they have, while really intriguing is not spectacular, jaw-dropping, or "over the top" !

They need to open up the field, get the guard more defined in their role while on their feet and lose those panels, no matter how decorated, panels are never a positive, IMO.

The guard is really executing a difficult book with a lot of varied content. The package offered compliments the music but the major, major flaw is that absoutely hideous uniform. Does nothing for the theme, doesnt add elegance or grandeur to the program, doesnt compliment the corps proper and hinders the overall reception of the colorguard and just how good they are.

This year is an odd year because many corps are offering franchise shows and you arent going to "get by" by being average. This show is above average but needs to be flawless....still an awesome ride full of fun and intersting content, copuld be as high as 3, as low as 7.

~G~

Edited by GMichael1230

How's that saying go?

"It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings."

:)

I just saw her in the trailer warming up, though...

not out of it yet

Neither are the Cowboys, Texas Rangers, or Miami Hurricanes...guess I can always hope.

Well -- as ONE OF Regiment's biggest Phans and backers, I hate to think of them winding up BELOW 4th....

Well, don't be surprised by it either! Just a gentle warning.

Great year, guys, top to bottom! Don't know if it's b/c finals are in California, residual from a great 2006, or luck. But in a year that would require something extra special to win it all, Regiment brought a knife to a gun fight as far as rings go.

Entertaining? Sure.

Loud? Yup.

Good show? Yes.

But not going to be standing in (or beside) the end zone next Saturday.

Now, Greg, if you and the BOD want to consider a really great piece written by Strauss (I would say FOR Regiment but the corps wasn't around yet!), I suggested one last year. Love to talk! And, no, it has nothing to do with Stanley Kubrick (sp?).

And the top 3 are just about decided, but it will be interesting to see 4/5/6 win brass, drums, and guard!

One more thing, and this is kind of beating a dead horse. Take note of history as far as early season results and total championships go. Phantom is always playing catch-up. Only a VERY FEW exceptions, so surrender me that point. Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Cadets have superior concepts and models of how their offerings are planned, timed, and presented on the field of competition. While Phantom might be able to take one every now and then, the current model allows for one "chance" in ten, literally.

Before that they placed 2nd three times in a row back in the 70's, if you care to go back a bit further.

The model is broke, and there's nothing else that can be said observing numbers like that. We're talking about 30 YEARS, guys. I'm an alum of the corps, but until corps management gets Lasik, so to speak, the results are and will continue to be the same.

Now, tell me--is this an assault against my corps? Its members or alum? An insult to all things Phantom Regiment?

No. It is the playing out of an age-old saying: Always fix a losing game plan--never fix a winning game plan!

If Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, the Cadets, and the Cavaliers keep on trucking along as they are at present and have been for a real long time, nothing will change. The first will continue to put out really entertaining 2nd to 6th place shows. They may place lower from time to time, perhaps higher occassionally--maybe even challenge for a championship sometime in the next decade. But the second through fourth corps listed will continue to compete for championship after championship after championship. That discounts the efforts of other groups, but I think you get my point.

The corps has had a great run of entertaining shows--a run that continues! But it must correct its basic model if it wants to be anything more (higher?) than the proverbial 3rd place corps.

There has to be a 3rd place (barring 2nd place ties)--it just doesn't have to be the same corps all the time.

Edited by silvertrombone

But anyway...I think back to Cavies 1996. Anyone remember their Stavinsky early moment of that show. I can tell you Don Warren remembers. This was after they took the Holst further than anyone thought it could go against a very talented and undefeated (for almost 2 years) Blue Devils corps.

So...next year, 1997...the corps pulled back to a stock Cavies anniversary kind of salute. They really had the stock step over guard move, etc. It may have actually been too much of a safe choice.

You're off by a year. Cavies did Stravinksy in 97, not 96.

I would not be making predictions on how any of the top 7 will end up. This is going to be one of the most surprising finals in a very long time. I think that they have as much of a shot at the championship as any of the other six top corps.