West Coast "Fans"

Dude....WTF???

FINALLY.....

Someone said "Dude"....

Who's got the Sean Penn "Spicolli" picture from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".... ^0^

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine George. Then how about this... You take your little waa waa party and stay where you are. Because of your beautiful flame-baited post (I thought you hated those?), there's a good chunk of DCI fans out here that really don't give a crap what you think anymore!

I and many others have dispelled EVERY one of your reasons for hating us west coast fans. I haven't seen all that many supporting you.

Good riddance to bad rubbish as they say.

Edited by skajerk

well - you're wrong. The boo birds picked up on Star in 1991 big time, it got worse in 92 and 93 was the cherry on top of the boo sundae until quarterfinals this year which was even worse than I experienced during the Star years

Yes, there was booing in '91, '92 and definitely '93; however, having experienced it all three of those years and sitting in the stands at quarterfinals this year, I would not say it was worse. I don't recall The Cadets being boo'd to the degree we were in '93 at all this season (in the parking lots, before performances, during performances, after the performances and during retreats). However, it takes its toll on the performers regardless.

Now, while I agree such display was distasteful on that Thursday night, I don't think it was the most horrific event in DCI history as some are trying to make it out to be, and necessarily makes East Coast fans any better than West Coast fans.

Edited by dcsnare93

And it farther proves my assertion that the cadets were booed because they were a threat. Narration doesnt justify it, because bd was just as bad in 05 (maybe a tad less cheese, but more confusion).

I don't agree. I don't think the difference (if there was one) in how the crowd reacted to BD in 2005 compared to Cadets in 2007 had anything to do with whether the corps was a "threat" to win.

I think it's something completely different. I think it is simply because it's the Cadets' Director who pushed and pushed for years and years to get the narration rule passed. It was not Gibbs, or Fiedler, or Stewart, it was Hopkins. So, who is the lightning rod for those who don't like narration? Hopkins. That's it. No other reason.

I think, when people are listening to narration, even if it's Crown, or Boston, or Blue Devils, they think of Hopkins, the man who brought it to drum corps. That is why the boos are directed his way. That's my take on it, anyway.

You haven't been to a DCI finals other places - have you?

I have, and you should really drop this point. The event was held in Pasadena, CA. fact. People from all over the country come to this event. fact. Did everyone who boo'd say they were local, or from California in general? No.

Whatever happened in your little space where you sat is not representative of everyone in that stadium. fact. Has any of the activities you list happen anywhere else? most definately. To say any of what you mentioned in your OP is based solely on the California fan is absurd and rediculous. It would only be true if the only people who attended where actually from California.

Call the dog in, the trail is cold and the hunt is over. B)

George, sorry you're upset by your experience. Is it possible that the final results - who came in first and who came in second - has a little to do with how you feel? Anyway, I'll not deny you your feelings on this.

I have always felt quite the opposite about Finals crowds. I love them. The Finals crowds are the most knowledgable crowds of the year, particularly the hard corps Thur and Fri crowds. I remember in 1999 in Madison, when Boston took the field to warm up at Quarterfinals, the crowd stood and gave them a loud standing ovation. It was so great. The kids were just kind of standing there, looking at the crowd. I suspect many of them wondered why they were getting a racous standing O before they even started their show. Well, it's because, for the first time since DCI was founded, Boston was going to make the Top 12. Can you imagine that happening at some local show? No. I love the knowledge of the Finals crowds. I guess that allows me to overlook the other stuff. On the other hand, if you're having a bad time, the other things you observe probably amplify (sorry...) the bad experience. But I ain't no psychologist - what do I know.....

George, sorry you're upset by your experience. Is it possible that the final results - who came in first and who came in second - has a little to do with how you feel? Anyway, I'll not deny you your feelings on this.

I actually agreed with the final results.

Anyway - I am going to drop this - I'll accept the idea that maybe it was just the area of the stadium I was in where this was more prominent. I was not alone in my "zone" of the stadium in openly lamenting the crowd in general. But we were pretty much observing the people right around us (section 18 about 1/2 way up on the 50) so perhaps other areas of the stadium were much different in tone. It's possible - and by the responses in this thread from a variety of people I'll just have to guess that was the case. The folks AROUND ME sucked. Let's leave it at that.

I am actually glad to hear others had a better experience in the crowd

Edited by George

6. I didn't see any drunk people, but I guess I will have to take your word for it that there were some, that they identified their place of domicile to the world, and that it has never happened anywhere else.

Lol. you must have been blind! People were wasted! It was a sickening sight. I personally think they should not serve alcohol at any DCI event. but hell, they were making $7 a beer, so I can see why they did it.