Most overrated and underrated shows of 2007

No it wasn't. He said he did not get involved in any of the "booing" activity yet he could see why people did.

I personally would not boo Barry Bonds.....but I see why people do. I don't see the contradiction there.

I agree........ :rock::rock:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated...Cavaliers, Academy, SCV

Underrated...Bluecoats, Crown, Madison (at the end).

If you are not in favor of the booing, then call it out.

I'm not in favor of booing.

I'm not in favor of narration.

thank you

Yeah, I was going to say, I don't even remember if I knew the show when I tried out for corps. I just wanted to march. I didn't know if it was true for anybody else. I figured it might have been possible that at least some of the kids DIDN'T know.

You know, I have come to agree with many people, that dcp does comprise a larger percentage of the dci audience, especially finals, and the big shows. HOWEVER, this is just one example of how we arent as big of a deal as we think. I'm willing to bet money that hundreds of folks go to auditions without the slightest clue about the drama that goes on behind drum corps. Sure, if anyone was watching quarters, they would have seen the drama this year - but how many people get into drum corps because of old videos shown by a band director, or that one local show in the middle of nowhere. Sure, the cadets were coldly recieved a few times this year, notably at the end, but by all accounts, at 90% of their shows they got incredible ovations. The average new fan is likely to think....'well they talk a bunch....whatever, i wanna do that'. I already have kids in bands that I teach asking about the corps, and they couldnt care less about narration (to be fair, i have some kids that dont like it and may march anyway - just being honest)

My own story is similar. I went to exactly one show before trying out for the cadets. I wasnt exactly a backwater hoodlum with no backround on the corps either - I was a college music major (at the very school that housed 2000 finals), in a competetive marching band, and with an older friend that went off to march cavies in 01. All that, and I had no idea that drum corps had 'died' with G bugles and that I would be in a corps run by satan himself with his crazy amps and woodwinds. I saw the cadets in 2002, and had no clue about the fireman controversy, or the GE cheese debate. I didnt find out about all that stuff until after i was accepted in the corps, and i didnt really 'get it' until years later. I honestly think my story is pretty normal, and a lot of foks could relate to it, but thats just me....

So as far as the subject goes

DCP- overated :P

marching any corps ever... - underrated

I'm not in favor of booing.

I'm not in favor of narration.

thank you

raise your hand next time before you speak please...

raise your hand next time before you speak please...

But you wouldn't call on me, would you???!!!???

Underrarted: Blue Stars. Worst screw job in years by the judges. The GE slate at Quarters obviously had a personal agenda, and the cowards at semis just perpetuated it. Blue Stars' level of sophistication and difficulty was light years ahead of the two corps over them in the final recap, and the improvements they put in the last two weeks of the year were just ignored by this group of "experts" they called finals week judges.

Sure glad to hear someone else say this! An earlier post mentioned slotting, when speaking of the Scouts. We've had many discussions in our family about that and other than a few changes here and there, it almost appears that someone decided who they wanted their Top 12 to be and that's who it was. I haven't been around drum corps that long but what I've seen leads me to believe that there's an awful lot of politics that goes into something where politics has no place.

Overrated: Cadets (would have liked them much better without the you-know-what), Colts, Academy

Underrated: Blue Stars (see above!!), Scouts (made huge strides this season)