Phantom Regiment hires new drill designer

Excellent post Trisha....

You make some valid arguments on what has/does work for this corps. Your passion for the Regiment, as well as the drum corps activity as a whole, is very evident in your thoughts, ideas and feelings.

If Marie were reading this today, she would be cheering you on.

Great imagination BTW :drool::drool::drool: would love to see your ideas on the field

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post Trisha....

If Marie were reading this today, she would be cheering you on.

Great imagination BTW :drool::drool::drool: would love to see your ideas on the field

What do you mean "IF" she were reading this... she already has! ... she's the one who put all this in my head way back in 97!! Don't worry, she's right where she needs to be 'The HIGHEST visual Judge there is!'

Miss you Ms. Barlow! :angel: :drool:

It's weird that just in 2006 they won visual GE :/.

However, all I'm getting from this thread is that Phantom Regiment is doomed to suck in the visual department.

Jamey Thompson wasn't the only thing holding together the visual program. He's not the reason they won feet in 05 and 06. He wrote the drill. There are several more than capable people at the helm teaching and cleaning drill and feet.

I bet Nick Scotella will be there most if not all of the summer... being on hand will be so beneficial to the corps. This is a great move on Regiment's part and I can't wait to see what comes out of Rockford this year!

Edited by euphononium

While you all may feel I am down on the Regiment, nothing is further from the truth. Nothing I have said is contradictory. I am as objective as I can be given the results. The only result that anyone truely remembers, or counts, is who won.

RM - I'm not a hater!

ampssuck

Edited by Rocketman

The only result that anyone truely remembers, or counts, is who won.

RM - I'm not a hater!

ampssuck

That could not be farther from the truth my friend

Trish, I agree--great post! Not a big fan of R&J, but your points are spot-on with regards to Faust. If they can pull second out of a show that doesn't actually contain any music related remotely to Faust, R&J might just work great! Not as familiar with the Prokofiev version...how bout an amalgum of R&J's?

Also, LOVE that you mentioned Faust and 91 in the same posting. I wasn't around yet for 89 and 91 was my first time seeing the corps...FELL...IN...LOVE!! The thing about the truly great PR shows is that they have a seamless, flowing characteristic that goes from slow to fast to slow to fast. 91, 93, 96, and 07 are REALLY great examples of this...96 perhaps being the lesser in terms of this slow/fast flow...not taking anything away from a great show, though.

Tchaik's R&J has that slow/fast characteristic and is perhaps one of the finest examples of it in the classical repertoire! If they can figure out visual it would work great.

I sat down late Saturday night and pulled out my opera score of "Romeo & Juliet" as well as the symphonic score from Tchaikovsky as well as one I had from Gunod. I even looked at some brass & string parts from the Berlioz opera. They (meaning Regiment) don't even HAVE TO redo the Tchaikovsky! You know, there is so much power as well as passion that Regiment really, Really, REALLY make a show like this work -- just like "Faust" did if they used the Berlioz or Gunod. The possibilities are endless in scheme and scope when you picj a theme first, then curtail music around it!

THAT is the reason Cadets, BD & CAvies are & have been so successful. Their theme was first. Not the musical selections. Regiment has the opportunity to start off in a great position with a young drill designer, and a killer brass/percussion/colorguard staff in 2008. Lets see how they approach it.........

My bet? PR already had 2008's music picked before 2007 was over! That kills any creativity (IMHO) that could evolve when picking a theme FISRT. One also must pick a theme that embodies and exemplifies the presence portraying it! Regiment, was, is and always has been POWER PASSION & PERFORMANCE !!

Music is just the vehicle that gets it (the vision and fruition of a theme) where it needs to go to be seen and heard as intended.

--TL