Cadets 2000 - We Are the Future

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is painful to decide between, but here it goes... As much as i loathe the sometimes over the top superlatives that hrothgar uses 95% of the time, Im going to have to actually agree with him, even though i normally like G more :P ...

Fact 1 - People in the stands ARE NOT the best judge of audience reaction. We have all kinds of conflicting accounts from people 'who were there' about everything under the sun - from whether star was booed, to the reactions from QF this year, to the reaction during the 99.15 years. Clearly, a person's view is colored by their preference and experience, and even more so by their location in the stands.

Fact 2 - A video isn't the greatest representation either, but it does have the benefit of covering more of the audience and providing a more objective viewpoint. It obviously cant catch everything (nor should it), but i think it tells a pretty good story.

Fact 3 - A guy who marched half a dozen years with the cadets (including 2000) has been on this thread and said that the crowd that night was the most intense he ever felt. Im not saying that the ovations are louder than madison 95 or pr 03 by any means, but i find it hard to believe that the best the cadets can do over a 6 year period cant match crown 07.

Dont get me wrong - I will argue that crown had the best audience reaction of anyone in 07, as well as the only true spontaneous standing ovation of the night. I was watching from far away in cheap seats, and i could pretty much see every seat in the house clearly. I honestly feel like audiences are nowhere near as raucous as they were just 5 or 10 years ago, but i guess im a part of that as well.

I honestly feel like audiences are nowhere near as raucous as they were just 5 or 10 years ago, but i guess im a part of that as well.

I wonder if that has anything to do with rules changes? ^0^

I wonder if that has anything to do with rules changes? ^0^

It does, the most important of which is instrumentation. The current instrumentation cannot produce as exciting, powerful, or unique of a sound that the G bugles could, resulting in less satisfaction of many in the audience who were used to this sound but can no longer hear it. Also, visual is emphasized now much more heavily in the past, resulting in musical performances that are not nearly as exciting. Audience reaction relies heavily on music; after all, everyone can hear the corps, but only the people sitting in rows 25 or so and higher can see the drill.

It does, the most important of which is instrumentation. The current instrumentation cannot produce as exciting, powerful, or unique of a sound that the G bugles could, resulting in less satisfaction of many in the audience who were used to this sound but can no longer hear it. Also, visual is emphasized now much more heavily in the past, resulting in musical performances that are not nearly as exciting. Audience reaction relies heavily on music; after all, everyone can hear the corps, but only the people sitting in rows 25 or so and higher can see the drill.

Again...i actually kinda agree with you... :blink:

Im not blaming Bb though. Its more a concept of sound / programming choice than anything

Again...i actually kinda agree with you... :blink:

Im not blaming Bb though. Its more a concept of sound / programming choice than anything

i pretty much agree with this. the show currently being discussed got a pretty nifty crowd reaction with Bb's!

cadets 2000 was one of three shows that really got me into drum corps. it's incredibly entertaining thanks to fantastic drill, a great percussion section, and some spiffy notes for the horn line. almost seems too easy :P

turnaround with the scream at the beginning

Every time I watch the show, my eyes jump to the horn player that blows the pause step coming into the first push. :blink: