Cadets 2000 - We Are the Future

Besides the drum solo (which the tenor feature was stolen from a high school marching band), and the trumpet trick at the end, the 2000 show had nothing. It wasn't the most entertaining show ever. It might be to you, but definitely not to me and apparently many others too.

Who was it 'stolen' from?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who was it 'stolen' from?

Don't know about "stolen," but the tenor solo on a stand "trick" was done VERY well by a WGI Scolastic World high school drumline out of Colorado: Ponderosa High School, maybe?

My memory is going with the age, but I VIVIDLY remember seeing a high school do this solo, pretty darn close to the same quality of excellence, at WGI Scholastic World Finals in either 98 or 99 (99% sure it was '99). I want to say that they did a 'hippy' type show or something, but I don't remember. It was amazing, and the fact that it was high school kids made it even more amazing.

But it was definitely done before Cadets 2000 (not that I care, to be honest, though giving credit to the group that did it first is always a nice thing). I don't know if Ponderosa was the first school/group to do it, but they definitely did it before Cadets.

Edited by perc2100

Don't know about "stolent," but the tenor solo on a stand "trick" was done VERY well by a WGI Scolastic World high school drumline out of Colorado: Ponderosa High School, maybe?

My memory is going with the age, but I VIVIDLY remember seeing a high school do this solo, pretty darn close to the same quality of excellence, at WGI Scholastic World Finals in either 98 or 99 (99% sure it was '99). I want to say that they did a 'hippy' type show or something, but I don't remember. It was amazing, and the fact that it was high school kids made it even more amazing.

But it was definitely done before Cadets 2000 (not that I care, to be honest, though giving credit to the group that did it first is always a nice thing). I don't know of Ponderosa was the first school/group to do it, but they definitely did it before Cadets.

There are some amazing WGI World lines...inc Tom Aungst's own Dartmouth, from which at least one of the 2000 tenors came.

1992 Velvet knights is the most entertaining show ever in my book

discuss. :-)

Don't know about "stolen," but the tenor solo on a stand "trick" was done VERY well by a WGI Scolastic World high school drumline out of Colorado: Ponderosa High School, maybe?

But it was definitely done before Cadets 2000 (not that I care, to be honest, though giving credit to the group that did it first is always a nice thing). I don't know if Ponderosa was the first school/group to do it, but they definitely did it before Cadets.

1999 Ponderosa HS. It is on the WGI Fan Favorite DVD volume two. The same DVD has Mission Viejo HS doing drum speak.

I'm still waiting for somebody to do the rotating tenor thing that Aimachi did last year (or was it two years ago?). That was ridiculous.

Edited by TSRTS13

So, the parts were the same? I have a hard time imagining that.

Nope, not at all.

and by no means am I saying it was stolen. Just answering the question that was brought up.

Edited by FUGI

Nope, not at all.

and by no means am I saying it was stolen. Just answering the question that was brought up.

So, the comparison is entirely erroneous IMHO. In fact, it borders on the disingenuous since the implication is that "Cadets" stole some high school's WGI solo, including the notes.

If I ever see a high school playing parts with the demand and execution level of The Cadets, I will officially crap my pants. But I don't plan on having a second set of underwear on me anytime soon...cause it ain't going to happen.

Madison had their pit play on tenors in 1990. So, maybe this HS stole their idea from Madison? :wall:

1999 Ponderosa HS. It is on the WGI Fan Favorite DVD volume two. The same DVD has Mission Viejo HS doing drum speak.

Good stuff, have this on mp3 too. Just listened to it today after all the talk in this thread. Man the crowd ate up that show!

I'm still waiting for somebody to do the rotating tenor thing that Aimachi did last year (or was it two years ago?). That was ridiculous.

That was SWEET! Maybe the best crowd response ever for any WGI line.

So, the comparison is entirely erroneous IMHO. In fact, it borders on the disingenuous since the implication is that "Cadets" stole some high school's WGI solo, including the notes.

If I ever see a high school playing parts with the demand and execution level of The Cadets, I will officially crap my pants. But I don't plan on having a second set of underwear on me anytime soon...cause it ain't going to happen.

Madison had their pit play on tenors in 1990. So, maybe this HS stole their idea from Madison? :wall:

IDK, that tenor solo was pretty spot on with some minor tics and it was just as technical in many ways. Believe me they did not steal that from Madison.