Solutions

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's where I disagree. It's true that DCI is not currently in the business of starting corps up. But maybe they should be involved in the process to a greater extent.

They'll have to be, if no one outside of DCI steps up. Every year, we see fewer and fewer people performing the administrative and support staff tasks necessary to start a corps, or even to keep existing corps going.

At this point, I'd suggest DCI get involved by brainstorming how to attract more adults to those positions with corps. I don't want to see DCI employees running corps....but maybe that would be better than seeing corps like Magic, Esperanza, etc. fading away because no one would take the helm.

What I am suggesting is that I believe that individual corps need to understand better that even though they are each tasked with running their own organizations, an expanding base of corps is, imo, advantageous in the long run to all of them.

Yes. Or, at least, stopping the attrition before DCI no longer has critical mass to sustain itself.

I just wanted to make a comment about transportation. I think my number are pretty close (forgive me please if they are not). If I remember right, renting four buses and their drivers for the summer costs about $100,000. If you cut a week off of tour it could save about $11,000 (based on a 9 week tour). That might not seem like much in the overall scheme of a drum corps budget, but it's huge. Think about what an $11,000 donation would mean to a corps. It would be great!

Also, the corps that do still own their own vehicles have to pay for maintenance for them, and drivers which adds cost per mile, if you prefer to think of travel costs in miles (which makes sense I think). Transportation ends up being a huge expense one you factor in gas, drivers, maintenance, and insurance. Also, when you own your own buses, and they go down during the summer, it's like a huge bomb being dropped on the corps. You have to find another bus to get through the summer, and the costs for that can be immense.

I know these aren't really suggestions, just more to think about.

The person who lives across the hall from me is blasting some Bonnie Tyler. Yeah. That's right. Bonnie Tyler. I want to take a nap before NBC Thursday starts, but "Holding Out For a Hero" is shaking my walls. What do I do? You wanna come up with a solution? Forget DCI, help me!

Well, we can start with all of the posts by this guy named "Poche".... :P

( sarcasm ON )

Now I understand. As long as you are "in the DCP click", you can call people out like that and not be censored, but if I call you an #######, or a no good ###### ######, I get censored.

And let's face it, calling anyone Poche' is just about as bad as calling them an #######, but I wear the name proudly.

So I go through the smilies and I see one nicknamed RAMD.

Ain't THAT nice.

Now I see how two faced " some " of the people here are.

Speaking of two faced:

By the way Mike, is it true that when you were born the Dr. turned you over and thought you were twins ? ( rimshot)

( sarcasm OFF )

( some day we must meet over a beer at a stadium somewhere and surprize ourselves at how well we might actually get along )

( sarcasm ON )

Now I understand. As long as you are "in the DCP click", you can call people out like that and not be censored, but if I call you an #######, or a no good ###### ######, I get censored.

And let's face it, calling anyone Poche' is just about as bad as calling them an #######, but I wear the name proudly.

So I go through the smilies and I see one nicknamed RAMD.

Ain't THAT nice.

Now I see how two faced " some " of the people here are.

Speaking of two faced:

By the way Mike, is it true that when you were born the Dr. turned you over and thought you were twins ? ( rimshot)

( sarcasm OFF )

( some day we must meet over a beer at a stadium somewhere and surprize ourselves at how well we might actually get along )

I have no idea what just happened here.

Let's get all slashdot geeky and drop that ever-so-coy:

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world" binary crack. :puke:

Gotta remember that 10 kinds line... :P

Hey working with computers for the last 28 years has paid the bills. And thank goodness I haven't worked on web pages or Java yet. About the only friggin' thing I haven't done yet.... :blink:

PS - It's spelled Poche??? Thought it was just TOMike.... b**bs

Here is a solution: Let the directors of the Blue Devils, Cavies, Cadets and other top corps decide what to do.... oh no wait, thats why we're in this mess. My bad.... :doh: But, hey, the good thing is that they wll keep active. :blink: