Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need I remind a lot of people that the performers don't get paid. This may be "marching music's major league" but this isn't the NFL. Marchers aren't getting a pay check at the end of the week/month for marching so well. Nobody says you have to jump up and down and roar or even cheer, but applauding them (even if it's like 3 simple claps) or a nod shows a decency of respect for them because 1) they marched their butts off in front your super critical eyes, (only to not get paid because they do it for the love of the art) 2) They had the guts to audition for a corps, dedicated their time, money, and sleep preparing for this one show 3) Even if it sucked all around it's not like it's their fault.

To compare this to kindergarten Christmas concert isn't fair , but at the same time it's not like anyone's receiving cold hard cash at the end of the week and this is a YOUTH activity. I'm REALLY against booing, and I don't see not clapping in the same respect but I would rather someone at least pretend they liked it. It might be your money and your right to do so but that's down right selfish. The fact is, it IS rude.

Edited by PhantomPhan1989

So we're not talking forced clapping are we?

You know...with facist ushers with sharp pointy sticks and tazers making everyone clap for the kids. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

People walk out of plays, musicals, even local amatuer productions, if it lacks quality. Is that what should be done? Should we just walk out?

So is this a youth soccer league or what? If I enjoy the show, I clap...usually accompanied by the tossing of kitchen appliances.

If the show is not to my liking, it is usually so bad that I actually feel bad for the members who have to be out there. Instead of clapping, I usually just want to go and make hot cocoa for them and tell them not to feel so bad. They've been through enough trauma already.

I keep reading this thread from the mindset of a once performer and it reads to me: "You better clap or you'll scar these kids for life!". I never cared if anyone didn't clap. Then again I never noticed either. I was too busy busting my butt on the field and shoving the show down the audience's throats. They paid to see a heck of a show and we gave it to them.

I agree with the poster above who said they wished the staff didn't hide behind the kids.

So, if the defending world champion Vanguard Cavalier Royal Knight Cadets go out and lay a massive bowel movement on the field....we're all supposed to clap.

Well, alrighty then...

How about "You clap; I won't"

No, it is not rude if one chooses not to clap.

And for all of those that feel this is unacceptable, perhaps you should make an appointment with a proctologist, because that corncob needs to be removed, STAT! B)

Coming soon!

And, many will be leaving soon.

Looking back on '92, we didn't give people much to cheer for...IMHO. Now, we worked out tails off since at one point it looked like we wouldn't make top 12...but DCI isn't some egalitarian love-fest. So, unless we played in Massilon, Ohio, the applause was scattered at best :)

Edited by atlvalet

So, if the defending world champion Vanguard Cavalier Royal Knight Cadets go out and lay a massive bowel movement on the field....we're all supposed to clap.

Well, alrighty then...

How about "You clap; I won't"

I just don't understand why it's such a big deal. Why is it such a hassle to put your hands together a couple of times for a group of kids that have been on a field for 12 hours every day working to make their performance amazing for you? I just don't understand why it's such a big deal and why so many people have this block when it comes to clapping. It's not difficult, it's not uncomfortable, but it certainly helps the performers on the field want to do better for you.

I should also point out the irony that many people on this board are complaining about the decreasing number of drum corps. You think that if those smaller corps got the ovations that the bigger ones did more marching-age people would want to march with those corps? I do.