Fans Not Clapping at the End of a Corps Show ?

This thread is proof that no matter what is said, someone will disagree with it in this forum.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is proof that no matter what is said, someone will disagree with it in this forum.

Uh, no, I don't think this thread shows that at all. What are you talking about?

You probably mean "Analogies I don't agree with."

No, there are analogies on both sides i think are terrible, regardless of my own position. Dont lump me in with the other extreme just because i happen to think certain arguments are fallacious. If you read the big post i made on the subject a while back you'll see my actual opinion on the matter...

Uh, no, I don't think this thread shows that at all. What are you talking about?

Lol...i almost didnt catch myself in time there....

good one :P

It's because I'm old, and I see the whole picture. As a music educator who marched corps, instructed, drove the truck, drove the bus, was involved in management, was a corps director, yes, I have a different view.

I'm all for the KIDS. It's why I came back to teaching for $65,000 less than I was making while out of teaching. When I left teaching it was because I had become one of "them". I've seen the activity from most sides. It stopped being about the kids a long time ago.

People find it strange that when Phantom used to carry "extras" to fill spots if someone was injured, I would get up from my "gold" seats and go watch the show from the endzone directly behind those kids standing in uniform because they were "extras". Friends of mine who ask me what the hell was wrong with me and I would say....if anyone deserves respect, it's THOSE kids and I wanted to experience it from their viewpoint. I would make sure to yell out to them how much I appreciated what they have done, and what they didn't get to do.

Yes, for ME, it's still about the kids. Not many associated with the "Association" can HONESTLY say that. They might have convinced themselves it's about the kids, and a slight few ARE doing it for the kids.

It's become a full time job for too many people. It's not just the buses and equipment that make it so expensive, it's also the salery for MANY people that has driven the prices up. While I understand that corps MUST pay people to be a SUPERCORPS, there was a day and age when most people did it for the love of the kids.

I realize that not everyone looks into it that deeply or CAN see the whole picture and I realize that many pretend not to realize it and disagree with me. And thats ok.

Pay your money and enjoy the show, clap if you want, don't clap if you don't want to, just don't boo the kids and don't try and BS me when I understand the bigger picture better than many.

Follow the money and see where it leads.

Amen...... :laugh::blink:

Then maybe the kids will look to the staff and wonder why they gave them a show that sucks....hmmmm. I think that is the general idea....

when you marched freelancers, did you have input into the creative direction of the show? could you make suggestions to the staff and expect them to change the show because there were aspects of it you disagreed with or just disliked?

things arent any different now.

whether some fans want to acknowledge it or not, show design is out of the hands of the kids performing it.

the only possible argument against that would be something like "well those kids chose to march cadets! their opinions about the direction of drum corps must be congruent to those of george hopkins!" even that argument would be faulty, considering how many cadets there are that dont like narration in drum corps and would have liked to put their '07 field show out there without it. you simply cant blame kids for WHAT theyre performing...only how theyre performing it, between both execution and how effectively they can "sell" (portray.......dont take my reference to money too literally) the product.

So, you've never seen "the Argument Clinic" on Monty Python ?

I guess it may be a higher percentage now but when I marched DCI it was not so much performing for the audience but performing for yourself, your fellow corps members, staff, judges, and simply "doing drum corps". The audience was in there also, of course, but they were definitely not the sole reason for performing

The very reason many corps would circle up and play a tune in the lot, for themselves.

My god people,,, have some of you been dropped on your heads? What don’t you understand about people not liking what is on the field? You don’t get it? The product is not what they want to see. They are not pleased with the shows. The last DCI show that I saw in 07 was not at all good. Drum Corps has been moving away from what made it so great. What makes a great show???? That’s hard to define for some. For me its one simple thing "Goose Bumps". Getting slammed in the face with fast notes is not my idea of good. That’s me,,, and maybe, juuuuust maybe, many of the other people NOT clapping.

*IMHO

*This disclaimer has been added to my statement by my legal staff. Any statement made by me or anyone resembling me cannot be misconstrued as a direct or indirect comment that could be considered a personal attack on the first or second part of the third parts is parts.

Drum & Bugle Corps

****UNPLUGGED****

Edited by WayBackBuc