>>

And I remember seeing John Sasso go nuts in that hall on a second soprano when I was about 14.

Lotta memories...<<

Comments like this make me cringe ... John taught and wrote for the Bpt PAL circa 64-67 ... I cannot remember a time when he blew his top and/or berated a player ... and he loved DMing the ensemble - even when the drums showed up ... he was the quintessential "teacher" and got a heck of a lot done in a 3-4 hr rehearsal ... was he just that much tougher with Sun? ...

>>

And I remember seeing John Sasso go nuts in that hall on a second soprano when I was about 14.

Lotta memories...<<

Comments like this make me cringe ... John taught and wrote for the Bpt PAL circa 64-67 ... I cannot remember a time when he blew his top and/or berated a player ... and he loved DMing the ensemble - even when the drums showed up ... he was the quintessential "teacher" and got a heck of a lot done in a 3-4 hr rehearsal ... was he just that much tougher with Sun? ...

I don't recall John ever completely losing it, throwing something or belittling an individual while instructing. He did get loud from time to time, but that's just part of the job. I've seen it with Bunce, Sasso and Dreitzer. Maybe frustration, I don't really know. You instructors know I'm sure. Not an easy task getting everyone on the same page.

There was an instance in Hershey 68 when a few members showed up late and John was totally ###### and things got real loud. I guess the worst I ever saw John was I believe after we came off the field at Altoona in 68. He knew the corps didn't perform up to potential and he let us know it. It was all about pretty much knowing we would win and he let us have it. Nothing thrown, nobody singled out. We all learned something very valuable that day and we all have John to thank for it. You're not that great unless you perform great all the time.

Lesson well learned.

• Like 1

I don't recall John ever completely losing it, throwing something or belittling an individual while instructing. He did get loud from time to time, but that's just part of the job. I've seen it with Bunce, Sasso and Dreitzer. Maybe frustration, I don't really know. You instructors know I'm sure. Not an easy task getting everyone on the same page.

There was an instance in Hershey 68 when a few members showed up late and John was totally ###### and things got real loud. I guess the worst I ever saw John was I believe after we came off the field at Altoona in 68. He knew the corps didn't perform up to potential and he let us know it. It was all about pretty much knowing we would win and he let us have it. Nothing thrown, nobody singled out. We all learned something very valuable that day and we all have John to thank for it. You're not that great unless you perform great all the time.

Lesson well learned.

You guys know I worship John - I make it no secret. I would have loved to see a rehearse off between him and Bill Parcells.

John would do a measured "nutty" - pick on certain things or people to get their attention.

I know he took one on me in 1976 at Marist College.

I've probably told the story - he was in for a camp after a long time of not being around, during which I was running rehearsals. He had us play the middle of Procession, the part in "bugle Eb"

My fingers got all flugmucksed and he went off - called me a "disgrace" and told me not to come back until I knew the part (I actually knew everyone's part).

I walked out of the room without opening the door - I fit throught the space underneath it.

I'm betting rehearsal was pretty quiet during the 2 hours I was expelled.

But Frank could comment - I do believe that John brought a little extra to Sunriser rehearsals.

John could be tough, but I never saw him disrespect anyone.

With him, it was all about demanding efort, moreso mental than physical. Once at the Eastport camp (around '65) he had us playing until around midnight on Saturday evening. Everyone's chops were fried. Still, he pushed us. He was merciless.

At the last note of the final run-through, Sal Crimi loosened his belt so that his pants fell to the floor on the final release. To this day, I have never laughed harder and I seriously doubt John has, either.

• Like 2

Very cool seeing John, Teddy, and Ernie Fesler at the 2013 BHoF event in Bridgeport.

There's times when you just want to say "thank you."

Got to do it in triplicate that day.

• Like 1

John could be tough, but I never saw him disrespect anyone.

With him, it was all about demanding efort, moreso mental than physical. Once at the Eastport camp (around '65) he had us playing until around midnight on Saturday evening. Everyone's chops were fried. Still, he pushed us. He was merciless.

Reminds me of Greenwood Lake 67. Think you were the only one with gas left in the tank at 11:30pm. Still we tried for him.

Edited by gsksun4

Reminds me of Greenwood Lake 67. Think you were the only one with gas left in the tank at 11:30pm. Still we tried for him.

what happened here???? did this turn into the sunriser forum? did i go to bizzaro land? :tounge2: LOL

No. You can return to Cru-ville anytime.

There must be some cool Corky stories you can share. Didn't he teach both Rochester and Syracuse?

Sasso was a great fan of his writing and had us listen to those recordings often.

don't want to go to cru-ville. frank i was just kidding around. i actually liked hearing the stories.

don't want to go to cru-ville. frank i was just kidding around. i actually liked hearing the stories.

Maybe we could share stories of the ....ahem.... "get-togethers" at Kevin Shea's house!!!! LOL

I remember they usually involved a ton of beer and various other, shall we say, "stuff." :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1