Are shows getting too complicated to watch?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow, I actually prefer a show after I've seen it a few times. I tend to enjoy them more once I know what's coming...but that might just be me.

From a visual standpoint, I'd argue that if you miss some things, then the show could have been designed a little better. You really cannot see the entire field in one shot, for most seats at most venues at least, and I think the use of the entire field at once is a problem. Yes, I like the entire field used, but if the guard is in one corner, the percussions in another and the hornline is spread across the field and the bottom left corner is dancing while the top right is doing backflips, yes, I'll probably miss something visually. An important part of visual design, IMO, is that everything can be incorporated into one shot (like on a movie frame). And if your eyes are meant to look at one specific thing, the visual design should incorporate that.

A prime example of a good job of this would be right before the guard feature in the closer of Bluecoats 05. They had a lot going on, with triangle being built, the guard getting staged, and the body movement. But it all built on itself, so you understood in the middle "oh, they are building a triangle," and "oh, it's an arrow, not a triangle," and "oh, look how they are pointing...they probably want me to look that way," and "oh, the guard is doing something and this is clearly where my eyes are meant to be right now."

If everything cannot be understood in one "camera frame" then it's probably too spread out and doesn't compliment itself enough. But then again there are exceptions, and this is just my opinion, so I could be way off base here.

As far as music....generally, I think audio is still doing ok.

Just my $0.02

Some corps' shows are definitely getting a little overly complex. It typically takes me several viewings of a Cavaliers, Vanguard or BK show to grasp all of the nuances. Sometimes that's not a bad thing, but sometimes it is.

Maybe I can change gears a little and wonder if the overly complex shows may turn away potential fans. Think of someone who goes to a show for the first time and they come away thinking "I didn't get that at all. There was just too much going on. I don't think I'll go again." What do you think about that?

Maybe I can change gears a little and wonder if the overly complex shows may turn away potential fans. Think of someone who goes to a show for the first time and they come away thinking "I didn't get that at all. There was just too much going on. I don't think I'll go again." What do you think about that?

I agree. Not all shows are like this, though.

There are little things I notice about old school shows that I never noticed after the first few viewings.

Some folks pick up on all the little details at first glance and others don't. Perhaps you and I are the latter.

I agree that most shows if not all of them have so much going on that you don't catch all that's going on on the first watch. Esp after you've sat through about 5 or 6 of them...it starts to hurt, sensory perceptors start to shut down. Exaggerating a little, but I get very fatigued. Guess that's what DVDs are for...or going to many shows...

The ideal show would be something that you could understand and enjoy at first full viewing, if not partial viewings, as well as something that you could grow to like more and more as the details came out over subsequent viewings.

What makes things entertaining over the long run is freshness.

This isn't in any way saying that a very simple show concept or a show from many years ago lacking the sort of .. thematic intricacies .. often seen today can't be good, just that to be a fantastic show still today it would have to be so good that seeing the same thing over and over would never get old.

Fact is that a lot of shows do that.

some shows.. you just never get. this is an eleven minute long medium. If i have to watch the show twice to get it.. it's just become a twenty-minute medium.

There's no possible way that human being could watch a show, we'll say '75 Scouts as an example, and catch every detail of what's occurring. Sure it's be easier to catch most of it than say Blue Knights this year, but still, even back in the day, there's just too much going on on the field to ingest it all.

That being said, I like old school shows and I like new school shows, but I also have different expectations of what I should get when I watch them.