A: Competitive Inertia

Well, then you have a disagreement with even DCI itself with this... as even they think Drum Corp is " a sport ", or at least a " quasi- sport".

If DCI did NOT think Drum Corps was a sport or quasi sport then they certainly would not have done the following:

...... market themselves to a sports network as such ( ESPN ).......brand themselves as the marching music's " Major Leagues " where it host ( Rondo ) calls it " the Super Bowl ".....bring a Indiana State reasearcher out to hook up a heart rate monitor to a quad player to demonstrate the heart rate beat to that of a finely tuned athlete....... hire a long time sports announcer as its booth host ( Curt Gowdy)......bring on college coaches (Bob Knight ) and football players ( Steve Young ) to compare the multitude of similarities to athletes, and Its competition to sports........the " sport " of Drum Corps is a competition, afterall, that takes place on a sports competition field ( football ), with prelims, scores, rankings, etc.

So again, if you believe that " Drum Corps is not a sport" ( or quasi sport ) this assessment is most certainly at odds to what DCI itself believes on this.

I am comfortable being at odds with DCI. Drum corps is not a sport.

I am comfortable being at odds with DCI. Drum corps is not a sport.

I think its a unique entity that utilizes athletes with musical instruments. A hybrid, if you will.

I think its a unique entity that utilizes athletes with musical instruments. A hybrid, if you will.

A Prius is not a car.

:cool:

Corps, if they had the money, could even totally waive fees entirely for " free agent superstars " from other Corps.

Without a sensible or reasonable transfer policy in place, I can easily envision a creative, clever Corps in the near future offering parents of MM's in other Corps a free waiver of all fees to march their Corps. Its probably already being done behind closed doors, I'll bet. And why not ? Absent any rules like they have in amateur team sports, Corps with resources ( like BD ) could just go out and find the season's best drummers, dancers, soloists, etc and just tell them " come march and help us win another Title. Its free. We won't charge you a penny. We've got well heeled boosters that'll even give you walk around cash while you're on tour with us too ". ( on the other hand, maybe they don't have to waive the fees, as they come in their pilgimmage and pay up anyway )My guess, this is already happening behind closed doors in a few cases, ie ( waiving fees for superstars ). And if it is, so what ? Under the current rules, there are no rules prohibiting things like this.

I get your point, but honestly - as an example, BD can only march 8 snares. Recent seasons have shown turnover to only be 3-4 of them. It's not like they can raid every snare drummer in the top 12 to get the other 4, especially as they already have literally hundreds of people auditioning for those spots as well. Even with your example, it's hardly going to be that big of a deal. BD can only march 80 brass, 30 drummers and 40 guard, same as everyone else.

Much more important is how the "middle class" of corps can encourage retention. I know we go round and round on this, but the transfer thing... restricting the MM's would absolutely backfire. We already see far more auditionees quit and disappear after trying out for a top 12 corps - more than the entire marching membership of DCI vanish, every single year. We need fewer barriers and easier access, not more and less.

Mike

A Prius is not a car.

:cool:

I'll say.

Much more important is how the "middle class" of corps can encourage retention. I know we go round and round on this, but the transfer thing... restricting the MM's would absolutely backfire. We already see far more auditionees quit and disappear after trying out for a top 12 corps - more than the entire marching membership of DCI vanish, every single year. We need fewer barriers and easier access, not more and less.

Mike

Its no wonder so many opt to not march at all if they don't get into their upper tier Corps. They have rightfully concluded that the ones below have no competitive shot at all of competing with the top tier. This isn't like MLB where any no team with few resources can still win it all.... down to a local little league amateur team that has more real competition for the top spot among a multitude of teams.

There is no evidence at all that parents and MM's won't adjust to a sensible and reasonable transfer policy adoption. When parents are told in youth amateur sports that you can't select your team and coaches for your son or daughter with the payment, few have decided " I'm out ". Sure there might be a temporary jolt to the upper tier Corps if we did this in Drum Corps but if they are as organized and as smart as we say they are, they will flourish in any system that has a sensible and reasonable transfer policy in place, imo. Few want to participate in a system now however where the same ones win pretty much over and over again, and in which there really is little movement collectively in placement from one year to the next. It is the presence of volatility among competitors that attracts potential prospects to the sport, imo... not the abject absence of it. All youth competitive sports that have sensible and reasonable transfer policies in place are growing their numbers of participants, and by the thousands in some cases. Its understandable that under our current system... an unprecedented and odd one without transfer policies of any kind.... that unless a camper makes the usual contenders, they decide to not participate at all in the system set up we've created. Well ya,.. no kidding. What did we expect ?

Edited by BRASSO

All transfers (after contract season) require both parties to consent. The MM doesn't even factor into the equation, unless the source corps thinks the best interest of the MM is a factor.

if both parties consent (even if money is owed, I've seen it happen), I have no problem at all.

If a MM goes to a new destination, and the parties both know it, against the wishes of the source party, then the destination party should be punished severely, like, disqualified from any contests that the MM performed.

But no one would have the courage to do that, so DCI marches on as is...

• 1 year later...

Safe for another year! Still waiting on Spirit, Boston or Blue Knights to disprove the theory!

Heck, Competitive Inertia is so strong, we haven't even had anyone new in the Top 6 since 2007 (Crown).

One more thing: The CI Theory would get a lot of credit if Bluecoats would win soon, lol. I was really hoping it would've happened this year. But with 2 yrs straight in the Top 3, maybe next year is their "allowed" year! It took Crown 4 years from their first Top 2/3 placement (2009) to finally win (2013), but that was preceded by in 2012 by another Top 2/3. C'mon, Bloo! :)

Things change, though, even if slowly. It wasn't too long ago we were talking about CADEVILIERS holding Top 3. Now Cavies are nowhere to be seen, and Cadets are making midseason uni changes that make no sense.

Something makes me think you are happy about Bluecoats furthering the case for CI last night. :cool:

Something makes me think you are happy about Bluecoats furthering the case for CI last night. :cool:

I was waiting for Bruckner8 to chime in here himself.