So why didn't Crown win?

a lack of marching in the ballad knocked them down for me

It's interesting that when, during the season, some people complained that Blue Devils had too much "park and blow", some others responded by saying, "And why not? Didn't we use to love the standstill 'concert number' that corps performed back in the day?"

But now fault is being found with Crown, not BD for "park and blow".

• Like 2

I could not care less about park and blow. If they are playing some amazing stuff it does not matter to me. I am more interested in good music than visuals.

• Like 2

Crown's Visual Analysis went down 0.4 pts and down 1 position ranking from Prelims to Finals.

+

Crown's Visual GE went down 0.3 & 0.2 pts and down 2 & 1 position(s) ranking(s) form Prelims to Finals

=

Obviously not everyone thought/felt the same about their "movement" throughout.

Crown's music was more exciting/better than BD's, and that's reflected in the scores, but a drumline 0.75 pts behind BD really hurt. Really surprised Crown was able to win Music GE with that drumline.

I'll throw my 2 cents in on this, since I'm 1) an accountant, 2) a statistics nut, and 3) a drum corps fan going back to the early 80's.

I've been tearing apart the recap sheet since Sunday AM. What I noticed was a lot of 1st place scores on BD's sheet regardless of the actual numerical score, however close they might have been. If you win 12 subcaption scores by 99-98, that adds up. Crown had only 8 subcap victories, so there's a few tenths right there. BD's edge in visual was negated by Crown's edge in brass and MA. But as an accountant, I look at the final gap and the percussion gap and go, "That's it, right there." Devils won percussion by 0.7 and overall by 0.6. Throw out the percussion score and Crown wins by the .1 gap in overall GE.

Throw out the percussion score and Crown wins by the .1 gap in overall GE.

The percussion score is added with Brass and Music Analysis and then divided by 2 though.

If percussion were to be taken out for Finals and Brass and MA were added together and converted to be out of 30 points (multipled by 0.75), Crown would have won Music by 0.3 (39.4 to 39.1)

But when then adding that to the overall GE and Visual scores Crown would have still lost, but by 0.125 not the 0.575 they really did lose by.

I agree the percussion score was a huge factor, but so was Visual Analysis. That 18.8 (ranked 4th) is tough for Finals and landed them 0.55 back of BD in Visual

I'm actually surprised Crown scored so high visually (other than guard) - intervals and forms were flawed compared to the other top 4 corps. I personally thought even SCV was cleaner drill-wise

Crown's movement stuff was nicely done, and the guard was amazing. So I guess that balanced out...

It just drives me wacko when on finals night there are major and frequent interval issues.

• Like 3

The percussion score is added with Brass and Music Analysis and then divided by 2 though.

If percussion were to be taken out for Finals and Brass and MA were added together and converted to be out of 30 points (multipled by 0.75), Crown would have won Music by 0.3 (39.4 to 39.1)

But when then adding that to the overall GE and Visual scores Crown would have still lost, but by 0.125 not the 0.575 they really did lose by.

I agree the percussion score was a huge factor, but so was Visual Analysis. That 18.8 (ranked 4th) is tough for Finals and landed them 0.55 back of BD in Visual

Oh, now you're gonna make me open up the excel sheet and start entering formulas!!! :drool:

I actually broke the recap down into "Content" vs. "Achievement" scores to try and get the picture from a design vs. execution view. Devils were higher in design in all three captions and execution in 2/3. The only one Crown won was GE achievement, which I think everyone would concede. I see that as BD pulled their show together better and performed it better technically, no small thanks to an unreal effort from that drumline.

if you're going to tell us you can pick out four hundredths of difference from one corps to another, you just let everyone know you're sillier than a Cesario catch phrase.