386 members have voted

1. 1. Amplification of Brass

• No; maintain that amplification of brass is not allowed
    • Yes; allow brass instruments to be amplified

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if DCI will have streaming audio/video from the site like last year.

Problem is, we don't get to vote.
Why is that a problem?

The problem is that no director is held accountable for their actions (at least until they get bood at finals).

Mike, you are treating this like the difference in interpreting the constitution (dont laugh at me, I like history) - states vs fed rights - by saying they should be able to do what they feel is best for their corps. The difference is every person with the ability to make a change in the federal system is held accountable by some sort of check, which eventually gets down to the people.

I know this isnt the same type of situation, but thats how its being treated. A director can make a proposal and get it passed, therefore effecting every other corps, just for their own benefit - without any say by the people. In DCI there are rules - a set of constraints - and the corps should first explore everything that is available to them instead of taking what some would call a "cop out" like this rule proposal, which is obviously against the will of the fans, to promote their corps.

The problem is that no director is held accountable for their actions (at least until they get bood at finals).

Mike, you are treating this like the difference in interpreting the constitution (dont laugh at me, I like history) - states vs fed rights - by saying they should be able to do what they feel is best for their corps. The difference is every person with the ability to make a change in the federal system is held accountable by some sort of check, which eventually gets down to the people.

There is a system in place. No one person can make a change to the rules. They need a majority of the BOD to agree for that to happen.

I know this isnt the same type of situation, but thats how its being treated. A director can make a proposal and get it passed, therefore effecting every other corps, just for their own benefit - without any say by the people. In DCI there are rules - a set of constraints - and the corps should first explore everything that is available to them instead of taking what some would call a "cop out" like this rule proposal, which is obviously against the will of the fans, to promote their corps.

As I said above, the only way a director can "make a proposal and get it passed" is if the majority of those who vote agree that it is a good idea. Yes, DCI has rules and constraints; they can and have been changed many times over the years when enough of the voting members think they should be changed, as it should be, IMO.

And no, it's not "obviously against the will of the fans" if you refer to the majority of those who attend shows. DCP? Sure. There is no way to determine the "will" of "the fans" in general. The main thing DCI should be looking at is the overall atendance at DCI shows to determine whether their overall direction is positive or not regarding the audience.

Just because some call a rule change they don't like a copout doesn't mean it is.

There is a system in place. No one person can make a change to the rules. They need a majority of the BOD to agree for that to happen.

As I said above, the only way a director can "make a proposal and get it passed" is if the majority of those who vote agree that it is a good idea. Yes, DCI has rules and constraints; they can and have been changed many times over the years when enough of the voting members think they should be changed, as it should be, IMO.

And no, it's not "obviously against the will of the fans" if you refer to the majority of those who attend shows. DCP? Sure. There is no way to determine the "will" of "the fans" in general. The main thing DCI should be looking at is the overall atendance at DCI shows to determine whether their overall direction is positive or not regarding the audience.

Just because some call a rule change they don't like a copout doesn't mean it is.

And now, George Hopkins wants to reduce that so that a majority is five votes, from the richest corps. The rest be ######.

And now, George Hopkins wants to reduce that so that a majority is five votes, from the richest corps. The rest be ######.

Does anyone have the text to that? I've seen reports here, but I haven't seen anything else about it.

Why would those outside of the top-9 ever vote yes to such a change, if it is real? Really, why would anyone outside of the top 4 or 5, since someone in 8th or 9th now might be 10th or 13th a year later.

Does anyone have the text to that? I've seen reports here, but I haven't seen anything else about it.

Why would those outside of the top-9 ever vote yes to such a change, if it is real? Really, why would anyone outside of the top 4 or 5, since someone in 8th or 9th now might be 10th or 13th a year later.

If it does pass, and Cadets suddenly drop to 10th or 13th, you can bet that George will be drafting another proposal in a hurry....

I have asked for that too.