Help Phantom!

The money last year was for a brandnew car. Now I am no mechanic, nor accountant, but I know that if I have 400,000 in debt { there was no deal at that time}, then I don't NEED a new car. I know a lot of people who get by on a used car just fine. To me it is frivolous spending and now it could have been 20,000 of the outstanding 40,000 plus deficit. Now do we really need to know why corps go inactive? It ticks me off as I absolutely love Phantom. Every show I have ever seen by them has been my new favorite. It is time to tighten the belt to ensure longevity, instead of instant gratification. If they came on here and said, " without this help, Phantom will cease operations", THEN, I will get my checkbook out, until then, do as I do. QUIT FRIVOLOUS SPENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find it hard to believe they would drop $20K on a new car when they are so bad in debt...but if what you say is true (I'm not privy to the facts)...then I have to agree with you...that wasnt the best move...a used car would have done. Or even a leased one for the summer for some deal.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was aware of Phantoms large debt for sometime now, a debt they had been carrying from quite some time. Interesting I've always felt that Madisons financial situation which is only 5 years old now was made to be a big deal while Phantoms was hardly discussed. Never understood that one. These kinds of negotiations only happen when the creditor realizes they are never getting their money back. This could bode ill for them as when a creditor writes off $ 300,00 plus, you can bet its going to be very hard for that borrower to get credit again without all sorts of security. Whats clear is that Scouts need to get Phantoms negotiator to do likewise with their debt.

Edited by Scerpella

I'm not an expert on the finacial situation of PR. I will consent to the fact the mistakes were probibly made in the past. I will will also be willing to buy the fact that things are now better if not "fixed" in the general staff situation. I have no way of knowing this for sure, as I am not a staff member of PR. Here is my question, 10 years? Your telling me that in 10 years a group that operates annually on 1.2+ million dollars (taking into account of course inflation, and time), your telling me the couldn't do something, anything in 10 years. We can put aside all of the arguing about frivolis spending, and who's to blame. 10 years. I have no sympathy other then for the kids that marched, and want to march in the future. If we really have to lay blame, we would have to look at every director, and finacial manager that has been apart of Phantom since the original debt was incured. Nothing substansial has been done in a decade? I don't know about you, but if I were to fail to pay something for 10 years, it would have been repoed forclosed and bankrupted about 9 years ago. I would consider myself lucky to have been shown such leniancy. That being said, I love Drum Corps, and I love Phantom Regiment, and it is for this reason alone that I will give money. I hope for the sake of the corps, and the activity that things really are fixed on the financial end barring of course this debt. Best of luck, I really am looking forward to Sparticus.

I don't envy the people who are responsible for running a corps or any other organization that requires consistent fundraising. I'm sure there are lots of sleepless nights.

The consistent excellent performances we see from the stands are due to a heck of a lot of work going on behind the scenes.

Everyone likes to talk about the input of the instructional staff, but few talk about the people who keep it all together.

We are darn lucky that Phantom is still around for us to enjoy.

Edited by LincolnV

Dude..I was agreeing with you in refuting johnnyboy. I don't think PR ever was out to buy a title.

My observation is that if they WERE (a ridiculous statement in itself) that they had failed. A legitimate truth. There is more to gaining a DCI title then opening up the coffers.

Please feel free to unwad your panties..

Man, my bad. I wasn't paying attention there. (At all, apparently.) Unwound. :worthy: (Um, for the record...it's briefs.)

Edited by year1buick

This has NOT been taken care of, otherwise they wouldn't have to raise $120,000 by the end of the year. And they are lucky at that, they actually owed close to half a million dollars. Talk about really bad management(and I am talking NOW, not late 90's)

Time to swallow their pride, cancel the trip to California, stick around the midwest, give your members a quality summer, and build towards keeping yourselves alive for years to come. If things keep going this way, we are going to be reading on the boards in July, that PR needs money to feed the kids, and more money to help them get back to the midwest.

Exactly - very well said. Too bad DCM is gone - there were shows every weekend (heck, when I marched in early 80s Phantom was at a whole bunch of them), usually w/ a parade. Lots of relatively local exposure (helps local recruitment) , kids got to perform, trip was rather short so no big fuel bills, performance $$ helped offset the costs. Now corps have to sign up for a 6-week tour, yes they perform during week, but I have been at DCI mid-week shows where they are lucky to have 700 fans - that can't make money over the long haul.

Hate to say it, but if they can't raise the buckage, shorten the tour. Indianapolis is only about 300 miles away - OK, so they show up as a wildcard without as much exposure to the other corps. But think about how mch rehersal time they would have.

Well...PR is not alone in puting out a fundraising appeal..

Crown Holiday Fund Video

Well, "faculty" doesn't come cheap. :worthy:

This has NOT been taken care of, otherwise they wouldn't have to raise $120,000 by the end of the year. And they are lucky at that, they actually owed close to half a million dollars. Talk about really bad management(and I am talking NOW, not late 90's)

Time to swallow their pride, cancel the trip to California, stick around the midwest, give your members a quality summer, and build towards keeping yourselves alive for years to come. If things keep going this way, we are going to be reading on the boards in July, that PR needs money to feed the kids, and more money to help them get back to the midwest.

talk about someone not knowing what they are talking about...

Ok, you think I don't know what I am talking about. Enlighten me please.

The way the article presents the facts, the debt has been building, not decreasing. And the debt is no small amount. It is $471,000. Granted, it is being settled, but the debt amount was still $471,000. That is almost half a million dollars. So how has this been taken care of?

Another point right now then, is if every single cent of income coming in right now goes to pay off the remaining $50,000 on this loan settlement, where is the money going to come from to tour this summer. Funds coming in off of holiday sales are usually counted towards the next years budget of $1.2 aren't they? And if people are giving all the funds they can now, are they going to be willing to donate their usual amount(or have that amount to give) come this spring and summer?

And while it lists souvie sales at $200,000 and donations around $200,000, this is never guaranteed. So exactly where will the funds come from this coming year? It doesn't look like they are going to be able to get a loan from anywhere, not if they were in default and had to have a settlement.

I know all the people in California would love to have Phantom come out there, but would they really want to see them come out there if it could cause them to have more financial problems and fold? I know every year I would love to see SCV come to Iowa, and I would love to see BD come to Iowa, or at least somewhere really close by. But I know that it isn't always within their budget, and I understand, which is one of the reasons I love going to finals week. I am very fortunate to get to see every corps during Open Class prelims, and World Class Quarterfinals. I would much rather at least get to see them there, as opposed to seeing them early season, and then having them around for another season.

It was nice to see that a couple of the smaller corps this year in Open Class decided not to go to finals in California. As disappointing as that may have been for some of the members, at least these corps are around to perform for another season.

Unfortunately Southwind wasn't one of these corps. Now I don't know if the California trip had anything to do with them not being able to come out this season, but I am sure it probably didn't help their situation any.

I am really not trying to be critical of the management, but right now they are fighting for a temporary solution. What happens in 6 months, when they take the road for competition? Are they going to be able to make their $1.2 million budget? And does that $1.2 include a trip to California? And if it does, what would be their budget without that trip? If it doesn't include it, what is their budget adding in the trip?

I am not sure there is anything more discouraging than hearing mid season that one of the corps has to quit tour early because they don't have the money to finish. I would really hate to see that happen to anyone this season. That also makes kids leary in years future as to whether the corps will even be around, or inactive.

Phantom has really put out some wonderful shows over the years. They compliment the top 4 corps very well with their style and music. It would be a shame for some mistakes from past, and current management, if they weren't able to continue their classical journey.